Fashionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:04 pm
I play oboe! >.>

I just bought a Yamaha for college.
It's AMAZING! 2/3 wood. :]

I think I'm in LOVE.lol  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Awesome, what college are you going to?

One of the oboists in our orchestra has a Yamaha. She seems to like it. Im curious, how do the Yamaha's play?

Im definately in love with my Loree, I named it Sullivan.  

`Kel`
Captain

Elektric_Sugar_Pop

Fashionable Shopper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:28 pm
`Kel`
Awesome, what college are you going to?

One of the oboists in our orchestra has a Yamaha. She seems to like it. Im curious, how do the Yamaha's play?

Im definately in love with my Loree, I named it Sullivan.

I named mine "Zooloo"

Out of all the oboes I've played, it's the best.
I wouldn't change it even for a 3/3 wood! (I know someone with one. his tone actually sounds worse than mine! and mine is less likely to crack because the top joint isn't wood)

Probably Austin Peay for my bachelors and masters, then I'm gonna try for Julliard to get my phd.
I will do it, damnit!
Oboe is like a portal for my soul to filter out my emotions.
Besides that, I'm extremely driven and tenacious!

Oboe and killing zombies is the only thing that I'm good at.lol  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:59 pm
Awesome, im going to be applying for Julliard as well next year. Im at a 2 year college right now.

I personally believe you have to be extremely driven and tenacious to make it in the oboe world. Otherwise you'll just go in circles.

It's kinda funny, I think you have to be a little crazy to play oboe too. If your not, it will make you that way and then its up to you whether or not you can handle the crazyness. But I think it helps to just naturally be that way, its less stressful when crazyness is actually part your personality.

When I say crazyness I mean that slighty paranoid (all this worsens due to reeds), never stops working on something, rarely satisfied, sort of in your own little unique world, oboe like crazy.

Personally, I tried being normal, and I didnt like it. The oboe is the one place I can go to crawl back into my little corner of emotion.  

`Kel`
Captain

Elektric_Sugar_Pop

Fashionable Shopper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:34 pm
I still have my senior year of high school left. :[ Bleh!

I totally agree about the tenacious/crazy thing.

I wonder how hard it is to get into Julliard. What do you think??

It's close for you, but still a ways to go for me.lol  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:58 am
im not sure. I still have my sophmore year of college left before im going to try and transfer. I know to just get an audition at Julliard is pretty cool. My friend who is a piano major scored an audition there. I dont think he got in though, and hes really awesome.

Oh it will go by quicker than you can think. Next thing you know you;ll be five years out of high and looking back like what happened? eek Thats me right now. sweatdrop  

`Kel`
Captain

Elektric_Sugar_Pop

Fashionable Shopper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:07 pm
Lol.

I'm excited about college though.

I'm the only serious oboe player my school has like EVER had.
The rest played flute and thought they could play oboe.

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about with people like that.

One girl had the nerve to tell me that flute was harder than oboe the other day, so I just laughed.

I play flute too.
Mostly piccolo though.
Since 6th grade up to half of my freshman year.
I never liked flute though.
I mostly played piccolo, because of marching band.
I'm gonna be drum major though this year, most likely.  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:20 pm
*Yells* Are there any other oboists out there? neutral Im getting the lonely oboe syndrome again. xp  

`Kel`
Captain

SpecialAgentLeah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:02 am

I play oboe (:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:56 pm
I want to learn how to play the oboe so bad. xD

Such a beautiful instrument. <3

Unfortunately I have no talent for woodwind/brass instruments. D:

[.The Rejected Spork.]

flamingrice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 pm
There are hardly any oboe players that I know of except for certain few and the person who made this post. The oboe is ok, but I don't think that it has a place in music. There are plenty of bass instruments out there and I think that we could lose the oboe without any problems.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:40 pm
I play oboe, too!  

Casilda of Barataria

2,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm
flamingrice
There are hardly any oboe players that I know of except for certain few and the person who made this post. The oboe is ok, but I don't think that it has a place in music. There are plenty of bass instruments out there and I think that we could lose the oboe without any problems.

Wow you just like tore my heart out. Considering oboe is my life.
Do you even know what an oboe is? First of all its not a bass instrument. Its an upper woodwind just under flute. It's a HUGE solo instrument in both classical and movie music. I swear you can't watch a love scene in a movie without hearing an oboe. You don't see a lot of oboists because along with the French Horn its considered to be the hardest instrument in the world to play in the Guinness book of world records. If we were to take out the oboe we would be missing a lot. Oboe is one of those instruments you hear ALL THE TIME people just don't realize it's an oboe their hearing so it dosnt the get credit a lot of times. rolleyes You have to be very humble and accepting of this to play oboe, or you'll have your feelings hurt a lot. It's kind of like playing a Viola in strings. Violas often don't get credit either.

Here are a couple well known classical pieces with MAJOR oboe solos
Oboe solo at the very beginning of Swan Lake
Oboe and Flute solos throughout Rossini's Italian in Allgiers
The Oboe Cadenza in Beethovens 5th, (Starts at 4:22)
Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade (Huge violin, bassoon, then an amazing oboe solo.) Oboe starts at 2:52  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:32 pm
Casilda of Barataria
I play oboe, too!

Awesome! How long have you been playing? blaugh  

`Kel`
Captain

Mr Seek

5,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 am
Hey there. I plays the oboe. And another great oboe moment. New World Symphony. beginning of mevement 3 if I'm right.  
Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff