Music Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tep

Benevolent Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:35 pm
Well, let me try and help as best as I can. I listen to a lot of Christian Screamo and Rock. My favorite band is underOATH, who is a Christian Screamo band and I'm anxiously waiting for their new cd to come out in a few months, but that besides the point. I also listen to other Christian Screamo bands like Spoken, Life In Your Way, blessthefall, etc. However, I listen to some secular every now and then such as Paramore(they aren't entirely secular since they have a few Christian songs), Hawthorne Heights, Silverstein, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. I try to limit my secular music, though, so I can help keep my life focused on the Lord, so I try to listen to Christian more than secular. I think it's alright to listen to secular, but that is a choice you will have to make for yourself. Like others have said, it's not right for your uncle to be judging you and next time he does, just remember that what he says about you doesn't matter and that ONLY God can judge you.

Here are some Christian rock bands you should check out.
underOATH
The Almost
Spoken
Life In Your Way
blessthefall
Kutless
Relient K

While you're at it, check out these Christian Rock labels.
Solid State Records
Tooth and Nail Records
Facedown Records

The first two are actually kinda the same company since they both own a lot of the same bands, but you should still check out both. They both have different bands on their PureVolume pages. Use PureVolume for your music needs too. It's a good site when trying to find new bands or just listening to some while on the computer.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:07 pm
we can listen to other things ofcourse! well, i think you should be cautious of what you listen to. because even if you don't say the bad word, it still gets into your system if you hear it. And it is your choice of what to listen to. but negative songs/lustful songs do effect your mood. maybe not at that exact moment you hear it, but it does effect your spiritual life.
and yes, you like his music. doesn't mean you have to like his choices right? xD  

dannixfresh

Frygate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:47 am
[Shadow_Lover]
Hey all, Got a question about what type of music to listen to. Now I like rock, I listen to Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Green Day and Disturbed and others. Well my uncle says that I shouldn't listen to any other music besides Christian music. At all. Basically we got into this huge fight on that. He said these things-
- That when ever you listen to music is should be about worshiping the lord.
- Shouldn't have any swears or anything 'bad' in it. If it does than you're "supporting" that type of stuff.
- Also he mentioned that the lead singer and guitarist in Green Day, Billie Joe, is bi and because I listen to his music and bought a cd that I'm supporting being gay and bi which he said is wrong and bla bla bla. To that point.

Now this is what I say/asking you guys...-
- We can listen to other things besides Christian music to, right?
- Its not like I'm singing to it and saying the bad language.
- I'm supporting his music, not his sexuality... right?

So... what do you guys think of this?

I just don't like cuss words in my music, personally, bc hearing it gets you in habit of saying it for some ppl, including me sweatdrop , But I listen to music that doesn't have cuss words and is not christian (not that I dont listen to christian)
Music like Foo fighters
some Fall Out
Metallica
and Random Guitar Hero songs  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:34 pm
I admit I don't listen to strictly Christian music, but it seems like since I've been really into it, I've been closer to God and I've been a happier person. But my being happier might have to do with something else too. As for me, the bands I listen to GREATLY influence me. It seems like when I get a new favorite band, I tend to model things in my life after them and I look up to them so much. Famous people need to set good examples. Even if we know something is wrong or not good, like swearing for example, if we listen to it over and over, we might just get used to it and be tempted to think it's not so bad. Satan uses different things to tempt us, and if we like our music enough, it's a possibility that he just might use it against us. I'm not saying listening to that music will always do that, it just could. I'm a Christian so I wouldn't want to listen to Satanic music. Why would I want to? I guess it just depends on your point of view. My mom wants me to listen to Christian music too. When I want a new CD or song, she asks me if it's Christian. I know she's just trying to protect me. smile And a lot of non-Christian music just has depressing themes that kinda had a bad influence on me. So I'm definately better off listening to Christian music. I can't know how it is for everyone though. You can just ask yourself how strong your beliefs are, and what kind of effect the music your listen to will have on you. And if you hear a little voice telling you not to listen to a certain song or group, remember that it could very well be God guiding you away from it. I've felt it about certain music.  

Vaeltaja

ChibiLi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:36 pm
[Shadow_Lover]
Hey all, Got a question about what type of music to listen to. Now I like rock, I listen to Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Green Day and Disturbed and others. Well my uncle says that I shouldn't listen to any other music besides Christian music. At all. Basically we got into this huge fight on that. He said these things-
- That when ever you listen to music is should be about worshiping the lord.
- Shouldn't have any swears or anything 'bad' in it. If it does than you're "supporting" that type of stuff.
- Also he mentioned that the lead singer and guitarist in Green Day, Billie Joe, is bi and because I listen to his music and bought a cd that I'm supporting being gay and bi which he said is wrong and bla bla bla. To that point.

Now this is what I say/asking you guys...-
- We can listen to other things besides Christian music to, right?
- Its not like I'm singing to it and saying the bad language.
- I'm supporting his music, not his sexuality... right?

So... what do you guys think of this?

Music is music y'know? As long as you stay away from really-really-really obvious blasphemy like a song that's antiGod or something, you should be fine. And yes, it is possible to support one's music and not their sexuality. In fact, in most cases, we Christians do that all the time. All people are sinful, and so naturally when we like or love someone, we ignore their sins and pay attention to what we like. Of course we should always be careful and try to witness to them and stuff, but actually Christians aren't even SUPPOSED to distance ourselves from The World. We're saved by grace, not because we're perfect or something.

For example, I listen to techno and go to clubs to listen and dance to it. Does that mean I'm gay or support gays? No. I frankly don't care much about them. I just like the music heart 3nodding

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:56 am
Music is music. There is a very deep meaning in songs. If a song's lyrics says "******** God" then I doubt the whole meaning is "******** God" It could be a battle with the inner self. The person may not hate God but feels sort of wronged in a way. What I'm trying to say is analyze the lyrics before judging whether it's bad or good. In fact I believe in the Bible it says "Judge not lest ye be judged" and I do believe it applys to the music you listen to. A few people have posted "don't listen to blasmephous music" but who are we to say what is blasmephous. Again the words could have a deeper meaning than what we see at face value. If we analyze the lyrics then we could understand what they are really saying instead of closing our minds off to the message. For all we know the lyrics could be satire.

Also sexuality shouldn't matter regardless of music.

As for me I rarely listen to Christian music. I'll listen to Creed (it's not obvious this is where analyzing lyrics comes into play) Demonhunter (surprised no one has mentioned them) and Switchfoot. The rest of my music taste is electic at best. Ranging from Led Zeppelin to Nirvana, from Rob Zombie to disturbed, from X-Japan to Utada Hikaru.

Now lyrics aren't what makes the song. The lyrics are a small part. For me listening to say Cage by Dir En Grey (very good bad, they have very interesting videos some of which aren't for the faint of heart but Kyo is very good at writing songs) I don't pay attention to the lyrics (they're in Japanese and I have yet to be fluent in Japanese) I do however pay attention to the rythm, the guitar cords, the drum beats, the music itself. That is what makes the creativity flow through. And now I'll stop rambling. Hopefully this helps. ^.^U  

Neferet -House of Night-

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces