Reply The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]
Divinity of Jesus? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

StrawberryDaifuku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:21 pm
I think, with all of the stuff that went on around the time of Jesus, what with the Romans and everything, it was very easy for someone LIKE Jesus to go and tell people the things they wanted to hear, and be basically exalted for that. He had excellent morals, perhaps, and did a great deal of good for man. But divinity beyond human means? I really don't think so...
I don't have much more of an opinion than that. So I'm done...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:35 pm
StrawberryDaifuku
I think, with all of the stuff that went on around the time of Jesus, what with the Romans and everything, it was very easy for someone LIKE Jesus to go and tell people the things they wanted to hear, and be basically exalted for that. He had excellent morals, perhaps, and did a great deal of good for man. But divinity beyond human means? I really don't think so...
I don't have much more of an opinion than that. So I'm done...

Ah but see, it wasn't. Keep in mind that many Jews detested Jesus because he claimed to be the Messiah but failed to manifest as he should have. They expected the Messiah to be a military figure that would topple the Roman Empire and free them from its rule. They didn't expect a peaceful prophet who spoke of love and harmony; that concept was foreign to them because nothing like that had really been introduced to their culture until the New Testament. They expected a violent ruler who would liberate them through divine retribution.

Also keep in mind that the last thing the Romans wanted was for anyone to start to unite the Jews, as they were afraid of an uprising. So it was difficult to win over the Jews, and even then he had to worried about being killed by the Romans.

Last of all keep in mind what Jesus was like compared to humanity in that region. People were terrible to each other, little more than animals mostly concerned about their own prosperity and completely unconcerned with the well being of others. I think the fact that Jesus was able to remain such an incredible person makes him "divine" in comparison at least. Whether or not that divinity makes him a 'god' or not is up to the individual.  

Kyou Nitsune

Bunilla Latte

Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:59 am
I know that Jesus really existed. But I don't approve him. I just tend to think he was a dreamer/crazy person, and found another bunch of similar minded people like him. That's why he became such a legend.

Yes I may seem intolerant, but that's my opinion, and my whole view on Christianity is based on some really bad personal experience. So please don't judge me for that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:05 pm
Venus Minora
Well, obviously, the divinity of Jesus is not a neopagan idea, but I'd like to know your opinions on it. Most of you are probably questioning my sanity as of now, but there is method to my madness... sort of... not really.

Okay, just to clear things up, Jesus was a real guy, okay? No getting around it, so pleeeease don't say "I don't believe in Jesus." You are allowed to say anything else, just not that.

So anyway, whether or not you have, I have actually met a few Wiccans who believe Jesus was an especially divine figure. None of them take it to the extreme levels that the Bible does, but they do in fact, think he was divine.

So, was Jesus divine? Does it make you not Wiccan to believe that? State your opinions, for they are much valued.

Oh and, what do I think? I think that everyone and everything on Earth and in the universe has a bit of divinity in them (a bit of God and a bit of Goddess), but Jesus just knew how to use his really well, as did Buddha and all those other sage-ish people.

Oh, and I'm not expecting many people to say Jesus is divine, but I'm wondering if anyone will at all. I want all of your opinions, my lovelies <3

Mithra is even more divine than Jesus. *rolls eyes*

Nah, if he really is 'the Son of Man', then I believe surely he isn't divine. He is just man....with a royal bloodline. End of story, and that's all that it is with Jesus.

I believe Jesus has nothing to do with Wicca. If you want to believe in him, go ahead, but I can't believe in a 'Christian Wiccan' though, it's pretty ironic.

We are all divine in our own way, our own Gods. But the 'fairy-tale' Jesus is just a tale...there are better examples than him I believe in.

Falhalterra

DragonSummoner66

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 pm
As far as Jesus being divine that's a no on my part. Hunderds of thousands people throughout the centuries have claimed to be sons or daughters of one God or another. Now I do think that Jesus, if he existed, was a very smart guy, and had some decent points. I'd totally hang out with him and debate philosophy if given the chance.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:32 am
dark_angel_32189
Actually, if I'm not mistaken (I could be thinking about something else I heard), there's no actual evidence that Jesus ever existed

actually according to my re teacher there's actual evidence that some guy named Jesus did exist and was crucified for some reason.
I'm not saying that it's definately the same Jesus, but someone by that name definately existed at some point.  

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

Thirrin Lindenshield

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:48 pm
I don't think he was divine. It just seems really far-fetched. Plus, has anyone seen that special on the History channel a while ago? I think it was called "The Lost Tomb of Jesus," or something like that.
My friend was reading on alien abductions and had this theroy. She thinks that Mary was abducted by aliens and artificially inseminated.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:45 pm
Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note
dark_angel_32189
Actually, if I'm not mistaken (I could be thinking about something else I heard), there's no actual evidence that Jesus ever existed

actually according to my re teacher there's actual evidence that some guy named Jesus did exist and was crucified for some reason.
I'm not saying that it's definately the same Jesus, but someone by that name definately existed at some point.

Yeah, my teacher talked about a couple of people in the Bible that there's no proof that they ever existed. I think I just got him mixed up with one of them.

Thirrin Lindenshield
My friend was reading on alien abductions and had this theroy. She thinks that Mary was abducted by aliens and artificially inseminated.

There are plenty of ways to accidently get a woman pregnant without ever actually having sexual intercourse. Or she could have just lied about being a virgin and hoped that people would believe her. I'm actually pretty surprised that people did believe her. Where people really that gullible back then?  

dark_angel_32189

Thirrin Lindenshield

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:13 pm
Thirrin Lindenshield

Quote:
There are plenty of ways to accidently get a woman pregnant without ever actually having sexual intercourse. Or she could have just lied about being a virgin and hoped that people would believe her. I'm actually pretty surprised that people did believe her. Where people really that gullible back then?

*shrugs* I can see why she would have lied about being a virgin. At that time, didn't they stone people to death if they were pregnant without being married?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:00 am
On the Mary lied part , well she could have been raped. According to the society at the time if she had been and admitted it , she would have to wander into the desert by herself and commit suicide. Now would you rather do that or make something up about how an angel came to you ect.

Now on the note of Jesus divinity , well I have read the bible and so see myself as having been introduced to both points of view. I believe that he was much like Siddhattha , who latter became known as Buddha. Both were in their compassion and wisdom more than men. And so being these kind of healers were divine. I believe that both were great and had many things to teach and much that we learn.
I also think that during his travels Jesus actually learned to use the herbs and other natural healing and this is why he was seen as a divine person to them , his miracles seemed like just that , but any other herbalist could help you the same way.
So yes , in the way that he was a healer , a compassionate , and wise man.
Having all these things I think makes anyone divine.  

I-onishi

MrsBHavin

1,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 am
jesus was a real life man. he was divine. jesus traveled all over it has been found that jesus actually trained with the druids. jesus had a vast knowledge of all sorts of things. he was a man of many accomplishment in his lifetime. among the fact that jesus was one of the first to actually be killed for witchcraft/magic/paganism however you want to put it. sorry i am big on watching and learning history stuff. you learn alot of things when you watch the history channel....  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:31 pm
he proubly existed but he's no more divine than I am or anyone else for that matter.  

shia chan13

KatsumiBatei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:51 pm
Thirrin Lindenshield
Thirrin Lindenshield

Quote:

*shrugs* I can see why she would have lied about being a virgin. At that time, didn't they stone people to death if they were pregnant without being married?

i agree but ireamember ... what *turns around as a farire wispers in ear* ok i was watching house, i remember that women can get pregnat while being a virgin it has to do with hormons or something but it only makes a girl, ya know the whole XX Xy thing but ya some one could be lying *shrugs* who knows... and on my own note i think the stories in the biblw are like asopsle fables take the morals not the storys literaly... am i making any sence  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 pm
Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

But then you have to remember that crucifixion was a common execution back then. Jesus' symbol was the fish before it was the cross. And who knows how many other people were named "Jesus" back then.  

Chaos Blue

Invader Curlie

Ruthless Gawker

7,700 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:14 pm
I think jesus was divine such as many of the many other gods and godesses of our beliefs, Im wiccan and believe in jesus (not very highly i must add) I think for some of us we (at least I do) look up to him because of his message of love that is something almost all of us can agree upon and as for people following the bible, who knows how much of it can be real or not? I dont think a lot of people had the imagination to say something such as moses making the huge ark or the thing with the sons of israel (typo?) and all of that stuff but people believe in it, personally I think some of it (not all of it) happened, but some people just take it a step too far sometimes.
I hope I made some scense xp heart  
The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces