Reply The T.A.R.D.I.S.
Why the Doctor cannot be in his 900s Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XellosRei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:35 pm
Either the writers of DW have a brilliant idea up their sleeves having to do with the actual age of the Doctor or they aren't as obsessive as some fans out there. Sometimes I feel like taking a week off work, sitting down, having a DW marathon for the entire week just to find plot holes. But that might be a bit obsessive.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:20 pm
Doesn't anyone remember???
I don't know if I saw this in that 10 Doctors comic or whatever.
But I remember 10 saying:
"900 years old. I've been 900 for a long time."
PLUS
There have been other incidencents where someone would say that he was lying about his age.
So he CLEARLY isn't 900. More like 1000 I'm guessing or something.  

Angel of the Doctor

Netasha Rose

Durem Wolf

8,750 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:27 pm
Yeah the "I've been 900 for a few centuries now," is from the 10 Doctors fan comic (and anyone who hasn't read it need to because it's bloody FANTASTIC!). Then they go on to say that 9 was having a mid-life crisis when he said that and that it was during 6's time that the Doctor was about 900.

So of course I agree with everyone the Doctor has been 900 for almost 900 years (ok that's a stretch but still) and the new series is just trying to create a starting point for their Doctor.

Here is the start of the 10 Doctors Comic  
Sailor Gallifrey rolled 20 20-sided dice: 5, 7, 5, 12, 18, 15, 9, 9, 5, 4, 5, 1, 11, 11, 15, 9, 7, 5, 17, 1 Total: 171 (20-400)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 am
Some one told me that he might be 1038 but I don't know if that's true. Also in season 2 of the new series, didn't he say that to bring the tardis back he gave up 10 years of his life?  

Sailor Gallifrey

High-functioning Detective

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Doctor of Gallifrey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:26 pm
The second Doctor apparently said he was about 450. The first Doctor must have made of most of that time, since he was really old when he died. So we would assume the normal life expectancy of a Timelord's incarnation is pretty high, 400-500 years. But the 2nd Doctor did say a Timelord can live forever without regeneration if he doesn't have any accidents, but that doesn't explain the 1st Doctor's death.

The 10th doctor said he was 906. So in the course of 9 incarnations (2-10), he lived about 450 years (an average of 50 years each). Since his aging process is long and probably different, we wouldn't necessarily notice any substantial aging as we watch him from one regeneration to another. Much of those years must be off screen without his human companions. The Doctor may spend decades alone traveling time and space, returning to his companions who think he just went someplace for a moment. (This does add a lot to the Doctor's mystique and charm)

The fact that the 6th doctor said he was 900 and the 7th doctor was 953 is harder to explain. If he wasn't so accident prone all his incarnations would live about 400 years, easily making him 4,000+. So he is probably just lying about his age and is well over 1,000.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:29 pm
Netasha Rose
Yeah the "I've been 900 for a few centuries now," is from the 10 Doctors fan comic (and anyone who hasn't read it need to because it's bloody FANTASTIC!). Then they go on to say that 9 was having a mid-life crisis when he said that and that it was during 6's time that the Doctor was about 900.

So of course I agree with everyone the Doctor has been 900 for almost 900 years (ok that's a stretch but still) and the new series is just trying to create a starting point for their Doctor.

Here is the start of the 10 Doctors Comic
I tend to accept this explaination for the docotr's age discrepencies. The Ten Doctors manages to fill a lot of plot holes like that. It's deffinatly worth the read.  

gorramKayna

o0--MagicalStar--0o

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 am
who cares?  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:51 am
o0--MagicalStar--0o
who cares?
I do. stare  

Ameria S

gorramKayna

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:06 pm
So do I. The continuing refernces to him being in his early 900s annoy the crap out of me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm
Folks, please don't say the doctor's a liar! I found a simple explanation. Every time he regenerates, his brain is put through the meat grinder, right? Ever since the third doctor regenerated, it gives the brain cells a bit of a jolt. I think he just forgets his age every time and is forced to estimate. He probably guesses 900 cause that's a time lord's prime. Just a theory, but it makes sense.  

Eclipse13579

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Deus Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 am
well tbh the 8th doctor has calculated hes over a 1000 in one of the novels and audio books. but i cant remember which one, but in some theory he has kept some of his ageing dates separate from others, such as he was stuck on a planet with sentient jellyfish for a good 600 years...apparently razz
so he might count the 900 years as his age when he spent time on earth perhaps or the time he has spent in exile as a renegade.. well thats my theory.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:35 pm
Mini spoiler in white-
River Song to Amy Pond: 'Lesson number one, the Doctor lies.'

Or something like that anyway. He probably is over 1000, and is having a mid life crisis, so lying. smile  

Mya Lou Trinket-Bell

5,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200

DVHS1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:34 pm
I honestly believe that the Doctor doesn't remember his age. He just chose an age he remembered reaching, not his actual age.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 am
>w< Time Lord mid-life crisis. I just find that notion hilarious for some reason. What is weird is that since the 9th said he was 900, he has claimed to age a year every season since.  

Crimson Standard

8,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Megathread 100

Chenrezi

5,950 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 am
To quote River Song, "Rule One: The Doctor lies."

Of course, when Nine said "nine hundred years of time and space," he could've just been referring to the time he's been traveling, and not the time he spent growing up on Gallifrey. And then... well, Rose obviously took that to mean that he was literally 900 years old, and he decided to roll with it because his age is a sore point with him. I mean, the Doctor would go on to say "Sometimes I think the Time Lord lives too long."

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.  
The T.A.R.D.I.S.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff