Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Vampires Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 am
chaoticpuppet
TeaDidikai
CuAnnan
TeaDidikai
That said, something like an fMRI would be interesting when it comes to the kind of energy manipulation we're speaking of when it comes to psy-vamps.

Likewise. Though, from my (admittedly) rather limited understanding of the fMRI process, there's going to be a notable reaction either way. Whether psy-vamps work on a purely psychoreactive level or an energetic one, there's going to be a neuralogical reaction.
However, an fMRI would show which part of the brain is reacting which, in and of itself, would be interesting.
Well, and then we'd end up generating controls. People who are not psy-vamps going through the motions and the like.

I do wonder whether it would be better to use a test with high temporal resolution or high spatial resolution when it comes to psy-vamps.

With the EEG, you would be able to see effects during and after the 'attacks,' but would be unable to say much more than, 'well it happens in the cortex.'

And with the fMRI, you would be able to see the area's corresponding, but there is also about a 5s time delay making it a better measure for after an 'attack.'
More importantly, the areas being effected by hyper-religious states are different than those effected by delusion. It would work better as a way to eliminate assertions than anything else.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Recursive Paradox
Synnthetika
I know mocking crazy people is easier than science, but I really am curious if anyone here knows much biology.

What would you like to know about biology? Genetics and proteomics are my sweet spot topics in bio.

Sweet! I think Proteomics is like the best thing since sliced bread.

So, Prophyria (page 7 for what details I got), has a lot to do with the inadequate production of enzymes involved in heme production. I don't know the particular pathways myself, but could there be a chance that the symptoms observed in Prophyria could warrant a feralization of people affected with the disease? Thus the vampire myth.

What I don't get though is how, even if the symptoms caused wild behavior, how that would like with undead, blood sucking, coffin-dwelling, fang-tooth vampires of literature.

Any biological indicators? What about other diseases?

(I'm in Sophomore year going for my R.N., so my knowledge of specific disease proteins and even most of the body proteins is still being built.)  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:03 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
Synnthetika
I know mocking crazy people is easier than science, but I really am curious if anyone here knows much biology.

What would you like to know about biology? Genetics and proteomics are my sweet spot topics in bio.
I tend to look more at physical structure and the like. Subluxations are a common source of fatigue and general energy issues- as are diet.

That said, something like an fMRI would be interesting when it comes to the kind of energy manipulation we're speaking of when it comes to psy-vamps.

It would definitely be interesting, but I don't think it would be conclusive.

Do you think that maybe both types of vampirism could be related to proper nutrition? Insofar as metabolic processes?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:09 pm
Synnthetika>> Medicine has repeatedly ruled out any biological need to consume blood for all known pathogens and genetic disorders.

A number of the undead characteristics have more to do with decomposition than anything else.

As for nutrition being linked to low energy, sure. It's possible people violate others energetic fields in order to steal energy from them. I find the practice repugnant and worthy of crossing myself- be it for cult sacrifice or personal use.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:26 am
Synnthetika
Recursive Paradox
Synnthetika

Sweet! I think Proteomics is like the best thing since sliced bread.

Well good, because I'm writing a paper on devising collaborative textbooks for Proteomics education using Wiki technology (and heavy moderation and editing for content and research) and I'd like to think some people will at least read it. XD

Quote:
So, Prophyria (page 7 for what details I got), has a lot to do with the inadequate production of enzymes involved in heme production. I don't know the particular pathways myself, but could there be a chance that the symptoms observed in Prophyria could warrant a feralization of people affected with the disease? Thus the vampire myth.

There's no linkage between "feralization" (or really any major change in behaviors regarding other living things like say rabies would induce) and Prophyria. The worst you could get is someone who perhaps foolishly believe that consuming blood was the only way to counter the symptoms (which I believe is actually untrue in and of itself because I don't believe there's a pathway within our biochemistry to take heme out of our digested materials and use it, instead we build it from the required amino acids.)

But if someone believed consuming blood would stop the symptoms it would be from a poor scientific background, which would require at least some science regarding the condition to begin with. Back when vampirism was first appearing in literature and legend, there wasn't knowledge of this condition as being blood related.

Quote:
What I don't get though is how, even if the symptoms caused wild behavior, how that would like with undead, blood sucking, coffin-dwelling, fang-tooth vampires of literature.

I think that's more a historical thing and less a medical thing. Like Tea said, stages of decomposition do some weird things and community hysteria regarding strange murders and deaths are all people needed back then to decide a monster was stalking them.

Quote:
Any biological indicators? What about other diseases?

No other diseases I can think of. There might be some mind altering diseases (certain brain parasites change human behavior) and those could induce feral behavior, but that would result more in biting and hitting, not biting and blood sucking.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:29 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
Synnthetika

I tend to look more at physical structure and the like. Subluxations are a common source of fatigue and general energy issues- as are diet.

Yeah. The reasons why my primary topics are those two is because my primary background is in them. I feel more confident to speak on them then I do on physical structure. Chances are they wouldn't likely play a major role over physicality for energy absorption phenomenons.

Quote:

I should have probably paid more attention to the vampire discussion itself, but what hypotheses regarding energy accumulation/energy loss would loop it back to detectable neurological or biochemistry effects?

Perhaps chemical energy (ATP levels) suddenly being reduced?

Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox
Synnthetika

What would you like to know about biology? Genetics and proteomics are my sweet G-spot topics in bio.

*cough*

I apologise if that was innapropriate.

XD

I can't help being a sexy scientist. Bow chicka wow wow.

Synnthetika

Do you think that maybe both types of vampirism could be related to proper nutrition? Insofar as metabolic processes?

Energy loss and energy derths from metabolic processes going awry or having problems is fairly common actually. Fatigue is a common sign. So it's very possible that metabolic issues could be responsible for a need for energy vampirism acts.

TeaDidikai
It's possible people violate others energetic fields in order to steal energy from them. I find the practice repugnant and worthy of crossing myself- be it for cult sacrifice or personal use.

Our of curiosity, is anyone aware of an operative method for drawing from energy fields? Like say, a science based hypothesis? Or is this outside of the realm of science right now?  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 am
Recursive Paradox

Yeah. The reasons why my primary topics are those two is because my primary background is in them. I feel more confident to speak on them then I do on physical structure. Chances are they wouldn't likely play a major role over physicality for energy absorption phenomenons.
Yeah, I'm more of a structure gal anyway. That's what my training was in at least.

Quote:

I should have probably paid more attention to the vampire discussion itself, but what hypotheses regarding energy accumulation/energy loss would loop it back to detectable neurological or biochemistry effects?

Perhaps chemical energy (ATP levels) suddenly being reduced?
I was more interested in seeing the areas of the brain that are active to determine if the response was spiritual in nature or self-delusion.
Quote:
Our of curiosity, is anyone aware of an operative method for drawing from energy fields? Like say, a science based hypothesis? Or is this outside of the realm of science right now?
There aren't any quantifiable understandings currently. There is data, but without a way to understand the value of it, it's pretty useless.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 am
Recursive Paradox
Quote:

I brought up that an EEG would be more effective in detecting a neurological change than an MRI in response to Red's post about how an MRI was used after her 'attack'. My hypothesis was that, if an alleged attack were to be correlated with some conscious feeling of weakness, it should produce some measurable change in brainwave functioning.

From there, it graduated into using an fMRI in order to determine that if it did have a neurological effect, what area's were affected and if they differed from delusion/hyper-religious states

Quote:

The only ones I know of, and they're only very loosely connected to drawing from energy fields - if at all, are studies of the psychoneuroimmunological effects of meditation.  

chaoticpuppet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:59 am
chaoticpuppet

The only ones I know of, and they're only very loosely connected to drawing from energy fields - if at all, are studies of the psychoneuroimmunological effects of meditation.
Is this the Newberg and Rause stuff?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:46 am
TeaDidikai
chaoticpuppet

RJ Davidson, mainly. But, it's a very loose association, if at all, for him.  

chaoticpuppet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:26 pm
chaoticpuppet
TeaDidikai
chaoticpuppet

RJ Davidson, mainly. But, it's a very loose association, if at all, for him.
Linkies?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:53 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

Yeah, I'm more of a structure gal anyway. That's what my training was in at least.

I've been tempted to take some anatomy and physiology classes (I'd get to open cadavers!) but I have so little time with thesis and other projects. I'll end up dead from stress if I dump more on myself.

Quote:
I was more interested in seeing the areas of the brain that are active to determine if the response was spiritual in nature or self-delusion.

Oh. Good angle. Eliminating self delusion (or alternately proving it) is a good way to establish whether other tests should be done. Acts as a time saver.

Quote:
Quote:
There aren't any quantifiable understandings currently. There is data, but without a way to understand the value of it, it's pretty useless.

Damn. I was hoping.  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:54 pm
chaoticpuppet

I brought up that an EEG would be more effective in detecting a neurological change than an MRI in response to Red's post about how an MRI was used after her 'attack'. My hypothesis was that, if an alleged attack were to be correlated with some conscious feeling of weakness, it should produce some measurable change in brainwave functioning.

From there, it graduated into using an fMRI in order to determine that if it did have a neurological effect, what area's were affected and if they differed from delusion/hyper-religious states

That's a fairly good angle to approach from.

Quote:

Do want sources, plz. This is relevant to my interests.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

I've been tempted to take some anatomy and physiology classes (I'd get to open cadavers!) but I have so little time with thesis and other projects. I'll end up dead from stress if I dump more on myself.

I had the opportunity to take an Anatomy and Physiology class in high school. It was highly interesting. 3nodding It didn't go as in-depth into the physiology aspect as it could have, it was only an Honors class, but it certainly has piked my interest.  

Aino Ailill

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:15 am
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

I never got into Biochemistry. My field didn't need it, though I'm anatomy and physiology of domestic and common exotics kept as pets. It's a good thing most mammals are variations or I'd have been screwed.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff