Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pagan name? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:35 pm
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings
I have not yet found my Pagan/Craft name. I've been told the best way to find it is to look inside you're self though meditation which is something I've been doing.
I don't try to over croud my mind though as I know that will get me no where.
The Wica, from my understanding, are named. They don't pick their own names as I recall.

Well I'm not talking about the Wiccan there am I?
I'm talking about a Pagan/Craft name, one in which you have to discover it for you're self.
Please learn to read before you're going to be a smart a**.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:46 pm
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings
I have not yet found my Pagan/Craft name. I've been told the best way to find it is to look inside you're self though meditation which is something I've been doing.
The Wica, from my understanding, are named. They don't pick their own names as I recall.

I'm talking about a Pagan/Craft name, one in which you have to discover it for you're self.

You said before that you're Wiccan, in the intro sticky. My guess? She was referencing that in your initiation, you would have been given a craft name, so it's a moot point.

3nodding  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm
redtearsblackwings

It read like you were.
Quote:

Since paganism isn't a religion, having a pagan name doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Since Craft is capitalized, and the only place I have seen it as a proper noun is amongst the Wica, it sure implied it is of the Wica you were speaking about.

Quote:

I am reading. You're merely implying things you don't intend to.

An apology from you would be nice.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:54 pm
Collowrath
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

You said before that you're Wiccan, in the intro sticky. My guess? She was referencing that in your initiation, you would have been given a craft name, so it's a moot point.

Well then maybe she should have read what I said.
I'm following the Wiccan believes and pratices, but I have not yet had the ablity to join a Coven. I have only one like minded friend and her and I are faily sure that 2 isn't big enough to make a Coven. And as is due to our age her and I have alot of trouble catching up.

3nodding

redtearsblackwings

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:32 pm
My reasoning was more complicated than that.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:06 pm
Aino Ailill
Deoridhe
Aino Ailill
Why is choosing a pagan name on the basis of it sounding cool shudder worthy?

It's an entirely surface response to something - doing a thing in order to impress others without any attention for deeper implications, or even awareness that picking up a name implies deeper things about a person.

What is the issue with a surface response? Is there also an issue with dressing or painting (make-up) one's self in order to look attractive?

I would say yes, given the context.

A name is not like cosmetics or clothing, however, though there are similarities. A name is a point of identification. A religious name doubly so. This is the name that, theoretically at least, you stand before your gods garbed in. If the sum total of your name is "I thought it sounded cool," then, well... I'd rather not be near you if any gods show up.

But, then, I'm from a tradition and culture which holds names as very important. I tend to not refer to my gods by name, for example, but by kennings which indicate aspects of them I am invoking. Odin's Blood Brother is referred to as Wolf's Father when I am mentioning his destructive aspects, and Mother of The Terrible's Steed when referring to his more quixotic nature. The second kenning also includes a kenning to my Old Man, of course, who I also often call the Masked One.

I quail a bit at those who consider names a minor thing, akin to adding glitter to one's eyeshadow, to be honest.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 pm
Deoridhe

I quail a bit at those who consider names a minor thing, akin to adding glitter to one's eyeshadow, to be honest.
Back in my days at the shop, often meaningful quotes would be hung upon the wall.
One from Hanna S. Winaras went as something along the lines of "Magic is Gunpowder, not glitter".  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 am
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

It read like you were.
Quote:

Since paganism isn't a religion, having a pagan name doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Since Craft is capitalized, and the only place I have seen it as a proper noun is amongst the Wica, it sure implied it is of the Wica you were speaking about.

Quote:

I'm not going to apolgise to you because you didn't read what I had said.  

redtearsblackwings

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:59 am
redtearsblackwings

I read what you said.
The fact that you didn't say what you meant is the issue here.

The use of Craft as a proper noun is found within Wica.
Since Pagan isn't a unified theology, there's really no such thing as a "pagan name", though there are naming traditions within religions that fall under the umbrella term of Pagan.

I'll wait for your apology.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:36 pm
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings
It read like you were.
Quote:

Quote:

redtearsblackwings
Though I pratice alone I still believe I'm Wiccan and due to the fact that many places have given me reason to think so I'll not accpet anything otherwise.

Quoted from your post in the Introduction thread. You did state it, just not here.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 am
Maybe she thinks that a Pagan name and a name within Wica are two different things thus she would have two different names?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:22 am
TeaDidikai
Maybe she thinks that a Pagan name and a name within Wica are two different things thus she would have two different names?

Then your reasoning of implications due to wording still stands as educational, whether she chooses to accept it as such or not.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:32 am
In my early fluffiness, I actually took the name Astra Isidore - for two very simple reasons, which I've since learned are not sufficient to justify such arrogance.

Astra - because my earliest ventures into general occult philosophy centered around astrology and the (limited and poorly-supplied) study thereof. This is not currently my central subject of study, nor still the subject on which I am best informed. (Those would be Tarot and Herbalism/Herbology, respectively.)

Isidore - because my first stirrings toward a non-Abrahamic tradition were inspired by a love for the study ancient Egyptian culture and religion. However... 'Gift of Isis'? My ego got the better of me there, and to pretend otherwise would be flat dishonest.

I don't currently have anything that could be called a 'Craft name' or whatever, though I occasionally use 'Astra' in my solitary workings or during meditation, more to step away from my daily self than for any other reason.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:46 am
Ultramarine Violet
Isidore - because my first stirrings toward a non-Abrahamic tradition were inspired by a love for the study ancient Egyptian culture and religion. However... 'Gift of Isis'? My ego got the better of me there, and to pretend otherwise would be flat dishonest.

Some "arrogant" names can sound really nice, though.
Theodoseo, "gift of God," is one of the most beautiful names I've ever heard. If it wasn't such an abnormal name sure to make any kid the butt of far too many school-yard taunts, I would name my (future) son that in a heartbeat.  

Nines19

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:47 am
saint dreya
TeaDidikai

Then your reasoning of implications due to wording still stands as educational, whether she chooses to accept it as such or not.
Yeah. I wasn't justifying her position, merely trying to figure out the reasoning behind it.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff