No, Christmas is about Jesus and only Jesus
View Results

Gilwen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:57 pm
Holypimp
Gilwen
Holypimp
But the modern day views of Santa Clause i think are very....strange. First as far as santa clause being fat. Saint Nicholas was from what I understand a pastor, pastors typically dont make a lot of money, therefore he probabally didnt have a lot to spend on food so he would have more than likely been fairly skinny.

Are you wary of Jesus just because He's portrayed as a white hippy? Traditions cause icons to change.
Actually yes it does bother me that Jesus is protrayed as a white hippy, for two reasons. 1. He wasnt white he was hebrew which would have made is skin fairly dark almost black and 2. It makes it easier for a secular society like the United States to make fun of him

Yes, but do you dislike Jesus because of it? Just like you dislike Santa because of how he's portrayed, I mean.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:41 pm
Holypimp
Actually yes it does bother me that Jesus is protrayed as a white hippy, for two reasons. 1. He wasnt white he was hebrew which would have made is skin fairly dark almost black and 2. It makes it easier for a secular society like the United States to make fun of him

Right, because it is just so hard to make fun of jews.

rolleyes  

ioioouiouiouio

dnangel64

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:46 pm
my veiw on thet is that children should have a chance to belive in santa clause because it's fun for them but it really should be made very clear that god is more important because he dose some times get lost to little kids during that season but little childeren should not be deprived of santa  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:43 am
if i EVER have kids....ill most likely join in the fun and tell them about santa claus (might help to keep their good behaviour in check wink ) but i think i might take the extra step and telling them Santa's poweres are limited >>.....

my reasons for such are actually based on a fluke moment because when i was realy young my favorite grandpa died and so for christmas i left a note wishing Santa to bring back my grandpa to life.....

my parents must have had fun with that one (since its usually the parents that put the presents etc etc)

i dont know...when it comes to such things as santa claus, a kid's imagination can run with the idea like i did at the time.

cuz when yoru a kid and you hear about this magically being that comes around christmas time...you'd tend to think this magically being can do ANYTHIGN right?

just be careful not to let things lead them astray to something by accident or unintetionally get their hopes down like it did for me.

yes my case was a fluke but it can happen...  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Seority

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:17 am
I have decided to tell my kids that Santa doesn't exist.
I will tell them and ask them what they think they should get for thier friends and family for Christmas rather then ask them what they want. Therefor, the point of giving gets through and hopefully the selfishness in them will lower.
Yes, I'm gonna play super mom!
(Yes, I am to young to be thinking of kids ^_^'''')

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:19 pm
It really depends. Santa Claus can be traced back hundreds of years to a monk named St. Nicholas, who lived in what is now Turkey. It is said that he gave away all of his inherited wealth and traveled the countryside helping the poor and sick. Now there's a story I wouldn't mind telling my children.

However, the modern Americanized version of Santa Claus is definitely a secular concept. Santa Claus is tied directly to economics. Although some might find it nice and jolly to include Santa Claus in Christmas, he certainly isn't a Christian element anymore. And what is Christmas without Christ?  

Shanthikumar

Atarashi No Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:19 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
My boyfriend and I had a little quibble about this topic last night. He was saying that if he ever had kids, he would never let them believe in Santa Claus, because it would change their view of Christmas, and make them think that Christmas was as much or more about Santa and presents as it was about Jesus. I think it doesn't matter. It's fiction, and it's something they'll grow out of anyway. What's wrong with letting them have a little fun, right? Besides, they'll be the only kids who have no idea who Santa is and they'll feel left out. What do you guys thinks?
Santa Claus isn't bad. But at the same time Christmas should mainly be about Christ's birth, not gifts.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff