Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply Theist to Atheist Q&A
My Curious Questions to All Atheists Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:23 pm
Okay, first off, thank you Caustic for letting me join this guild. and now that I'm in, out of complete curiosity I would love to hear everyone's opinion to the questions I'm going to ask. Its fun to hear other people's perspectives on such things. So here we go.

1) Do you believe in an after life? If yes, what kind, if not and you believe in nothing after you die then why?

2) Do you believe in spirits? If not, why? If yes, where do you think they came from?

(yes sorta a stupid question, but just curious)

3) If you don't believe in God, do you believe in Satan?

(ive heard most say to that, that they believe in satan but refer to satan as a physical form of all evil that exists? *shrugs*)

4)If you don't believe in God, is there something else you believe firmly in?
Even if its a logical reasoning?

5)what do you believe regarding how came into existence?

(if it regards evolution, lol don't worry i wont debate on that particular subject. i hate it beyond all recognition as a form of debate. if you believe in evolution, you dont have to elaborate on it. just curious.)

I look forward to hearing your responses. ^_^ heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:34 pm
1) I don't believe in an afterlife, and I don't really know why =
2) I believe they could exist sweatdrop
3) Well...I believe that there's a lot of evil in the world?
4) Uh...
Life isn't fair.
All life comes to an end someday.
Pizza tastes good ^_^
?
5) I don't really know how we came into existence, and it's fine with me for now, I guess = I don't really know if I believe in evolution or not, but I'd say it's the closest thing I am to believing in that matter. I don't really think about it too much <_<

Well, of course, I don't really exist, being imaginary and all, but for the rest of you guys =P  

Habible

Dapper Conversationalist

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:39 pm
Quote:
1) I don't believe in an afterlife, and I don't really know why =

intereseting smile

Quote:
2) I believe they could exist icon_sweatdrop.gif

fair enough smile
Quote:

3) Well...I believe that there's a lot of evil in the world?

indeed there is, unfortunately.

Quote:
4) Uh...Life isn't fair. All life comes to an end someday. Pizza tastes good ^_^
?

lol i love pizza
Quote:

5) I don't really know how we came into existence, and it's fine with me for now, I guess = I don't really know if I believe in evolution or not, but I'd say it's the closest thing I am to believing in that matter. I don't really think about it too much <_<

hee hee its better to believe in something than nothing at least in my opinion. very cool smile
heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:56 pm
Heh, this won't take long.

~~~~~1) - No.

~~~~~2) - Nope.

~~~~~3) - No.

~~~~~4) - Not really.

~~~~~5) - I don't believe things "came into existance." Since matter cannot be created nor destroyed, it's likely that all things have and will continue to exist.

See, I said it wouldn't take long.
cool  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:17 pm
Dathu
Heh, this won't take long.

~~~~~1) - No.

~~~~~2) - Nope.

~~~~~3) - No.

~~~~~4) - Not really.

~~~~~5) - I don't believe things "came into existance." Since matter cannot be created nor destroyed, it's likely that all things have and will continue to exist.

See, I said it wouldn't take long.
cool

lol all fair enough but i especially like that last one. i was always pretty good with science back in highschool and my two years of college, and that one scientific statement is something ive always heard over the years and very interesting how you put it to your belief very nicely. kudos to you biggrin heart lol THAT should be an official quote of the year lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:27 pm
1) No, i don't. What you see is what you get. we're noting but meat and bones.

2) No not really but i don't understand all the weird things people claim to see.

3) No, they were both made up. I think if early humans couldn't explain why something happened it must have been the power of "god". And satan was possibly an attempt to rid people of evil by making them fear hell. Kinda like santa =D

4) hmm.. well theres alot i beleive in but it's too much to explain. No supernatural forces tho.

5) Big bang.. evolution.. the usual.  

Alces_Alces

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:36 pm
Jennys_Girl
1) No, i don't. What you see is what you get. we're noting but meat and bones.

2) No not really but i don't understand all the weird things people claim to see.

3) No, they were both made up. I think if early humans couldn't explain why something happened it must have been the power of "god". And satan was possibly an attempt to rid people of evil by making them fear hell. Kinda like santa =D

4) hmm.. well theres alot i beleive in but it's too much to explain. No supernatural forces tho.

5) Big bang.. evolution.. the usual.

big bang huh? but i thought scientists debunked that theory didn't they? because everyone was saying how we came from this material matter....but then what big bang doesnt explain is where all that material matter that made us, came from.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:32 pm
1) Do you believe in an after life? If yes, what kind, if not and you believe in nothing after you die then why?
I don't believe in an afterlife. Because that would just eliminate the entire idea of "intelligent design". Why would we waste time here if there were something to do after this? Just tell me which way to turn and I'll go immediately.

2) Do you believe in spirits? If not, why? If yes, where do you think they came from? No, ghouls and ghosts don't exist.

3) If you don't believe in God, do you believe in Satan? I don't believe in anything that doesn't exist on the same plane as Earth. Simple as that.

4) If you don't believe in God, is there something else you believe firmly in? That's vague isn't it? If you mean a higher power then no.
Even if it’s a logical reasoning?

5) What do you believe regarding how came into existence?
Humans? I believe aliens came from mars and planted magical beans in the ocean and fishes became super smart bioengineers that made the human race as it is today.  

God of lunchboxes

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:22 pm
Science has far from debunked the big bang theory. If anything, it's the "duh" answer for the precision and pattern of the expansion of the universe.

To be honest, I don't believe that's quite how the actual birth of the universe happened, just the universe as we know it. What was before that is back to taking guesses and good old reasoning.

Anyway...

Firstly, no. I don't necessarily think there is a definite afterlife, though I'm not completely denying the possible existence of something beyond us.

Second: It's actually an interesting subject. Since we're just now breaking into "science beyond what we know," who's to say we won't find some sort of life beyond this world? There could very well be some sort of entity that's drawn to the complexity of electrical and chemical activity in the human body and our creations.

Third: That one is a sort of complicated answer. Satan is used throughout the Bible and various Christian writing as a metaphor for the evil in humanity, nature, and the world as a whole, but I don't myself think there's a sentient, cognitive being behind it all.

Fourth: Yes, in a way. I believe that humanity is teetering on the edge of prospering and falling victim to its own nature. As cliche as it sounds, I've made it a sort of mission in my life to help others realize just how badly we need to cooperate and overcome

Fifth: Even the "perfect" evolution theory fails to reasonably declare some things fact, I think it is very close. The closest we've gotten so far, to say the least.

Yes. At any rate, welcome to the GAU. = D  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:09 pm
1) Nope.

2) No.

3) No way.

4) Logic.

5) More or less big bang theory and evolution. Sure, the big bang may not be the answer, but creation doesn't suit my logic.  

Death God Hitsugaya

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:29 pm

No, I believe that when we die, our consciousness ceases to exist, just like it was before we were born.

2) Do you believe in spirits? If not, why? If yes, where do you think they came from?

No. I believe any instance of a haunting or posession or something similar has a scientific explanation.

3)If you don't believe in God, do you believe in Satan?

Of course not.

4)If you don't believe in God, is there something else you believe firmly in? Even if its a logical reasoning?

I firmly believe in the capability of the individual to direct his or her own life, among other things. Just not anything supernatural.

I believe the universe has always been here. Since matter cannot be destroyed, it seems unlikely it came from anywhere. In regards to your comment about evolution, that's a very common mistake. Evolution is not designed to explain where life comes from; it's designed to explain where new species come from, and why old ones die out.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:57 pm

I don't believe in an afterlife, but I do believe in reincarnation. I don't really have a reason, but I think if I had to give an explaination

No I don't. Everything that happens can be explained by science one way or another.

Nope. If anything bad happens to you, it's your own fault.

Other than myself? No.

I like the scientific explanation. :3

Pmyi

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:02 pm
SaintChaos

Absolutely not. Nobody's reported back to prove it exists.

SaintChaos

No. We don't know what we don't know, but that doesn't mean that the answer automatically becomes supernatural.

SaintChaos

(ive heard most say to that, that they believe in satan but refer to satan as a physical form of all evil that exists? *shrugs*)

Nope. And while we're at it I don't believe in Thoth, Athena, Zarathustra or Russel's Teapot.

SaintChaos

Yes. Myself, my abilities and the input I have processed to make my perception of reality. The confirmations of that reality from others who have sought answers the hard way, like myself. In short, I am a Humanist.

SaintChaos

(if it regards evolution, lol don't worry i wont debate on that particular subject. i hate it beyond all recognition as a form of debate. if you believe in evolution, you dont have to elaborate on it. just curious.)

Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the origin of existence or the origin of life. Evolution is the study of what life did after it showed up. This is a dismally frequent false assumption that many Theists (and some Atheists/agnostics) make.

The Big Bang isn't an origin story, either. It just says what happened to put things in their current form.

I believe that we exist and that I'm not smart enough to personally decide what caused that. It's the biggest unanswered question in science. We're getting close, but anyone who says they know for sure is either trying to dupe you or tell a joke.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:40 pm
1.) No, not per se. However, I have a bit of a belief, possibly superstitious, that thought continues after death. Granted, not a soul or anything conscious. You see, brain energy has been something that has always fascinated me. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Because thought in and of itself must be some sort of energy, logic tells you it would return to the source after death. The source is nothing supernatural, and it does not create a ghost either, but your being does continue to fluctuate throughout the world regardless in some form, I believe (much like your body fertilizes the Earth).

2.) No. Physics cannot be violated, even after death. (However, if reading a Stephen King novel, I'll ignore that.) I won't deny that there are things in this world beyond our control and understanding, but spirits aren't one of them. Anytime anyone talks about some sort of supernatural presence like a door slamming on its own or a room rumbling for no reason can be explained by electromagnetism, nature's little wild card.

3.) Denying God is denying Satan; the two depend upon the other. However, I do refer to him as well as God in a satirical form on occasion.

4.) To a certain extent, karma, but that's just logic. Your actions always bring a consequence, typically an equal one. I.E. being good to others brings goodness to you, but unfortunately not always.

5.) The universe is infinite, all that is and ever will be, much like the idea of God. I imagine we in this state cannot comprehend it, but future generations will easily after long enough (a story for another time). However, it began very humbly: A singularity, a compressed infinitesimally small realm. Any statistician will tell you that the first law of action is that, "If it can happen, it will happen." It may take an extraordinarily long time for something to happen, but if it can, it will. So it did. Life could happen, but was extremely unlikely - less than a fraction of a percent of a percent. So over time, nature attempted it naturally, because that's what nature does: create and advance. It tried over and over again for all the right variables to arrange in just the right place. And on a fateful day, it finally did, expanding the universe via the Big Bang. After that, advancement. Plant life, ocean bodies, a variety of wonders you and I now take for granted. And again, thought - the ability to choose what to do based on something other than nature - seemed impossible. Highly unlikely, less than a fraction of a percent of a percent. So over time, nature attempted over and over and over again to begin life. On one fateful day, it did, all of the right variables aligning perfectly. And thus began life. After that, advancement in the form of evolution. And so on.  

Cirosan

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:13 pm
1) Do you believe in an after life? If yes, what kind, if not and you believe in nothing after you die then why? I do...its a very similar place to the soul society in the anime bleach...but not strictly japanese. Just the idea its only un finished emotions or trouble that keeps you from going on. But a almighty ruler....no

2) Do you believe in spirits? If not, why? If yes, where do you think they came from? Yes i do, the spirit is the energy of unfisnished things manifested into a form of almost invisible energy/ being...(hope that awnsers it...) with the mind of the deceased...or agenda of deceased.

No, they both symbolis an almighty ruler in a way, or that humans have a purpose to rise about in the end. Striving to be good, and faithful to something.

The having nothing holding you back thing is just guilty concious making you fix it. (Sorry my spellings horrible tonight.)

Even if its a logical reasoning? Science, and my own intuition. Very very vain i guess but i believe in pure logic and facts. which my spirit theories don't quite add up to i realise. (Thats just a childish imaginitve hope..very long story have questions im willing to explain in further detail/ defend myself just not here.)

Evolution...i'll simply leave it at that. I think there is not agreement in this subject when it comes to debate. But...idea...

My biology teacher this las year was a very religious woman....but believed in evolution........so mabye there are times agreement can occur???  
Theist to Atheist Q&A

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff