Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:03 pm
;D

Sano Parmandil suggested the idea of having a guild-wide collaborative conlang, and I must say I like the idea.

-----

I'll post a very standard phonology idea (in X-SAMPA):

Vowels: /a e i o u/

Nasal: /m n ŋ/
Plosive: /p t k b d g/
Fricative: /f v s z S Z/
Approximant: /w j/
Trill: /r/
Lateral Approximant: /l/

Now give me your modifications. The phonology is currently boring. surprised

Also, I think the name, at least for now, should be Kolagui; and if you can't figure that out, go look at the name of the guild.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:59 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
;D

Sano Parmandil suggested the idea of having a guild-wide collaborative conlang, and I must say I like the idea.

-----

I'll post a very standard phonology idea (in X-SAMPA):

Vowels: /a e i o u/

Nasal: /m n ŋ/
Plosive: /p t k b d g/

Now give me your modifications. The phonology is currently boring. surprised

Would be good

Vowels: /a A e E i I o O u U y Y { a: A: e: E: i: I: o: O: u: U: y: Y: {: a_~ A_~ e_~ E_~ i_~ I_~ o_~ O_~ u_~ U_~ y_~ Y_~ {_~ a:_~ A:_~ e:_~ E:_~ i:_~ I:_~ o:_~ O:_~ u:_~ U:_~ y:_~ Y:_~ {:_~/

Nasal: /m n N J/
Plosive: /p t k b d g p_w t_w k_w b_w d_w g_w/
Fricative: /f v s z x S Z T D C X/
Trill: /r r: 4/
Lateral Approximant: /l L/

?

I know there are too much vowels... sweatdrop

But, hey, that would be good if the alphabet had diacritics for consonants! mrgreen

Edit: I think Kolagui should have at least one of these distinctions: or long vowels, or nasalized vowels.

Edit²: Wouldn't be better for us do a subforum where we can post the language ideas in parts, and do polls about them, etc?  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:17 pm
If you were going to go /p_w/ and so on, why not have p_j and so on too? ;D

And those are too many vowels. mad D
I like the Finnish vowel system, myself. Speaking of Finnish vowels, we could possibly implement a system of vowel harmony later. surprised

And why have one palatal consonant, /J/ without having /c/ or /J/?

And /4/ is a tap/flap, not a trill. I'm not familiar with /r:/.

And I can't really pronounce /L/. How about /K/ instead, as a lateral fricative? ;D  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:23 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
If you were going to go /p_w/ and so on, why not have p_j and so on too? ;D

And those are too many vowels. mad D
I like the Finnish vowel system, myself. Speaking of Finnish vowels, we could possibly implement a system of vowel harmony later. surprised

And why have one palatal consonant, /J/ without having /c/ or /J/?

And /4/ is a tap/flap, not a trill. I'm not familiar with /r:/.

And I can't really pronounce /L/. How about /K/ instead, as a lateral fricative? ;D

To pronounce /L/ it's just to imagine how to speak Castellano.

Sorry about missed phonology, I'm not paying much attention today. sweatdrop

And I don't know how to pronounce /K/
sweatdrop  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:26 pm
Say /l/ but make it fricative. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:30 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
Say /l/ but make it fricative. mrgreen

I almost mimic a bird's sound doing that sweatdrop
Also, wouldn't be better for us do a subforum where we can post the language ideas in parts, and do polls about them, etc?  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:30 pm
Yes it would. But I need to get the other mods' permission: I don't want to be a guild dictator.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:40 pm
Hum, okay. So we proposed until now, a system with some vowels, long/nasal distinction, labialised plosives, and palatalised plosives. What about frictives, etc, etc? And now I'm a bit tired, so who will do the final X-SAMPA phonology when we finish? mrgreen  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:29 pm
I'll write it out now, although the way I organise it won't make much sense...

I think we ought to keep the nasal consonants short.

/a e i o u y { 2/
/a: e: i: o: u: y: {: 2:/
/a_~ e_~ i_~ o_~ u_~ y_~ {_~ 2_~/

I think we should just use labial, alveolar and uvular consonants with the notable exception of /j/. Palatal consonants can be a bit of a pain at times, and I don't know that they'd work well with nasalised vowels.

Nasal: /m n N/

How about having almost no syllable stress, like French has? Just a tiny stress on the last syllable of a word.

And how would the actual writing system go? X-SAMPA can give me a headache at times.

How about...

<á é í ó ú à ò ù>
<â ê î ô û ă ŏ ŭ>

for the vowels? I'll get to the consonants later.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:39 pm
Sounds interesting. I dislike /r/ in well...any language, but that's because I'm unable to make that sound. Otherwise, the phonology looks pretty good.  

IH_Zero

The Atheist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:31 pm
I don't know what's going on, all I could think about while reading those was how much /r/ and /l/ looked like /b/.
I'm a loser like that.

Can I make the script?
I like making scripts.
I'm gonna make one based on Cyrillic and Greek.
I gotta learn Cyrillic again, I forgot it._.
And I never knew Greek.
That'll change tomorrow.
I'll learn both.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:50 pm
If we have no syllable stress, it'd be cool if we could do like Russian... where you can never guess where stress is gonna fall next... only this time it won't change the pronunciation.

But you know, I've got an idea. How about we... well, don't make the vowels of this alphabet entirely phonetic in regards to diphthongs?

It seems like every single time there's a collaborative conlang, everyone must have 100% phonetics. I'm not saying we need a pronunciation key as senseless as French's, but it'd be a little nice to deviate from what everyone else always does, you know?

I mean, German's "ei='ai'"/"eu='oi'" phonetics-deviation is easy enough to rember and gives the language a striking sense of - I dunno, 'individuality' I guess you'd call it. Let's give this lang some flavor.  

Hawk_McKrakken

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:51 am
I don't think it would be really practical to have a script here if we're eventually going to have a forum where we speak it. sweatdrop

I was going to suggest a similar thing, Hawk. I like for /oI/ and for , I think. We could also use <ó> for /o:/ and for /oI/. There's nothing wrong with two ways to express the same sound. You can work on the dipthongs! mrgreen

I mean NO syllables are stressed, though. surprised
Not random syllable stress. Just you don't stress syllables.

Consonants:

Nasal: m n ŋ
Plosive: p t k b d g pw tw kw bw dw gw py ty ky by dy gy
Fricative: f v s z c j
Approximant: w y
Trill: r
Lateral Approximant: l

I vote we remove the voiced plosives.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:56 am
Eccentric Iconoclast
I'll write it out now, although the way I organise it won't make much sense...

I think we ought to keep the nasal consonants short.

/a e i o u y { 2/
/a: e: i: o: u: y: {: 2:/
/a_~ e_~ i_~ o_~ u_~ y_~ {_~ 2_~/

I think we should just use labial, alveolar and uvular consonants with the notable exception of /j/. Palatal consonants can be a bit of a pain at times, and I don't know that they'd work well with nasalised vowels.

Nasal: /m n N/

How about having almost no syllable stress, like French has? Just a tiny stress on the last syllable of a word.

And how would the actual writing system go? X-SAMPA can give me a headache at times.

How about...

<á é í ó ú à ò ù>
<â ê î ô û ă ŏ ŭ>

for the vowels? I'll get to the consonants later.

I still think that we could get some of those: /A E I O U/ for the vowels and a little mor nasals and /T D/ for fricatives and maybe /4/. I really think we should get a poll for decide...

Hawk_McKrakken
If we have no syllable stress, it'd be cool if we could do like Russian... where you can never guess where stress is gonna fall next... only this time it won't change the pronunciation.

But you know, I've got an idea. How about we... well, don't make the vowels of this alphabet entirely phonetic in regards to diphthongs?

It seems like every single time there's a collaborative conlang, everyone must have 100% phonetics. I'm not saying we need a pronunciation key as senseless as French's, but it'd be a little nice to deviate from what everyone else always does, you know?

I mean, German's "ei='ai'"/"eu='oi'" phonetics-deviation is easy enough to rember and gives the language a striking sense of - I dunno, 'individuality' I guess you'd call it. Let's give this lang some flavor.

I don't agree too much with that. First, flavour can be decided with sounds. Second, phonetical representations are very easier than non-phonetical ones. Third, if others collaborative conlangs do that, so it's because it is better than another things. A little brazilian proverb say: Two heads think better than one. If very very much people decide do a phonetical conlang, it's better than a non-phonetical one. (I know my last answer wasn't a very much understandable one, but... sweatdrop )  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:44 am
I still vote for Finnish vowels. xp

But we can now take that to the new subforum!  
Collaborative Conlang

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff