Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
Harry Potter Book Mistakes Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Randomnality~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:51 pm
J.K. can't always be perfect. Post the mistakes that you know about and or found out.

Here's a couple:

Every year, students board the Hogwarts Express on September 1, and the next day when their classes start, it's always a Monday. How can September 2 be a Monday EVERY year?

In book one, it says that Percy had a silver prefects' badge. In book five, it says that the prefects' badges are scarlet and gold.

Do you have any?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:57 pm
I never noticed those. Now that you mention it, I can't really think of anything, but I did find it odd that in the first book, Hogwarts organized a large ammount of trials a person would have to go through to get to the mirror that held the stone. But three ten year olds could get to it. How good is their security?  

Sakura_kura
Vice Captain

-okonomiyaki o konomu-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:23 pm
Sakura_kura
I never noticed those. Now that you mention it, I can't really think of anything, but I did find it odd that in the first book, Hogwarts organized a large ammount of trials a person would have to go through to get to the mirror that held the stone. But three ten year olds could get to it. How good is their security?

It sounds like Fluffy was the real security, because you had to know his weakness to get through. Maybe the troll would have been a lot for most people too; the trio kinda lucked out on that (though they did defeat one earlier in the book). Also, if it weren't for Quirrel, they wouldn't have known which key to use either, and I wonder if Quirrel didn't figure it out because he investigated before-hand.

As far as dates and days go, I think she's made similar mistakes with holidays, like Halloween and Valentine's Day.

Also, this is a perfectly understandable mistake (even I thought the PS1 came out way later), but Dudley couldn't have had a Playstation in Goblet of Fire (they weren't introduced in Japan until December of that year).  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:31 pm
I understand about the dates though. I really don't think that is a problem-especally since she has to remember all this information and what not. Maybe her calandar is off?!?! xd  

Sakura_kura
Vice Captain

~Randomnality~

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:05 am
Sakura_kura
I understand about the dates though. I really don't think that is a problem-especally since she has to remember all this information and what not. Maybe her calandar is off?!?! xd

Yeah maybe it is.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:24 am
There are a whole lot of book mistakes like,

In the US edition of Sorceror's Stone, on page 88, it says that "Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon didn't shut him in his cupboard, force him to do anything, or shout at him..." In fact, however, they had already moved Harry from the cupboard to the spare bedroom

and,

In Harry's letter from Hogwarts it says he could bring a cat, an owl, or a toad, but Ron brings his rat, Scabbers.  

~Randomnality~

chibi_chan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:55 am
There alot of year and day misstakes. Like Dudley throws out his play station.
That year the playstation was not relised.
That kind of misstaked I don't care of. I read this one somewhere.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:50 am
The reason that they alwas start school on Sept. 2, which is always on a monday is because Jk wanted them too. She did it on purpose.  

Fear My Bloody Fangs.
Vice Captain

Fuzziball Fai
Fezziwig Jr

Scrappy Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:27 am
Fear My Bloody Fangs.
The reason that they alwas start school on Sept. 2, which is always on a monday is because Jk wanted them too. She did it on purpose.
Well, she is the almighty author and she can do what she wants concerning that type of thing. It doesn't have to be correct if she doesn't want it to be.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 am
That is weird... I'm a bit slow, so I don' notice that type of stuff. sweatdrop  

Halloween Addict

~Randomnality~

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:15 pm
Forgotten_Death

Some of my friends tell me these so I didn't notice them until they told me and I reread the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:20 am
~Randomnality~
Forgotten_Death

Some of my friends tell me these so I didn't notice them until they told me and I reread the book.
Ah. that makes sense.. I think.  

Halloween Addict

~Randomnality~

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:18 am
Forgotten_Death
~Randomnality~
Forgotten_Death

Ah. that makes sense.. I think.

Yeah it sort of does...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:12 pm
~Randomnality~
There are a whole lot of book mistakes like,

In the US edition of Sorceror's Stone, on page 88, it says that "Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon didn't shut him in his cupboard, force him to do anything, or shout at him..." In fact, however, they had already moved Harry from the cupboard to the spare bedroom

and,

In Harry's letter from Hogwarts it says he could bring a cat, an owl, or a toad, but Ron brings his rat, Scabbers.

I hadn't noticed the first one

But the second one I noticed. I always wondered how he got away with that.  

Poor_huni

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Empress_Kat
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:18 pm
I didn't really think Scabbers mattered, I mean, there were probably lots of rats in Hogwarts. After all, it's a really old castle. To me, that suggests rats.

Besides, it used to be Percy's rat, and good old Perce would never break a school rule.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff