Voldemort Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Empress_Kat
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:04 pm
Yes, vague subject, I know. But really, I don't think there is enough discussion about Voldemort. Everybody just says 'He's evil' and that's it.

A comment someone, I believe it was BeeBrittney, made in my Dumbledore is Evil thread (or at least that's what I call the thread) got me thinking as to why Voldemort desires power and what he plans to do with it. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not think Voldemort's cause is a good one. Not entirely at least. But Bee (can I call you that?) seemed to me to be implying that Voldemort wanted power because he thought he was better then anyone else. I have no doubt that that is the case now? But I don't think it was so when he was first coming into power.

Voldemort came from a Muggle Orphanage, first of all, where he was mistreated.
Also, we all know that wizards have to be carefull to hide their existance from Muggles.
Then, there is Voldemort's parentage. He was half-blood, and he hated both his parents for that fact.

I don't think Voldemort thought he was better then anyone, at first. In fact, I think it would make sense if little Tommy Riddle had serious self-esteem issues as a child. He had every reason to think Muggles were horrible people. All the ones he had known were. At first, I'm sure he merely felt, as did Salazar, that Muggle-borns had no place in Hogwarts. He would assume, I suppose, that they, or at least they're parents, were the same kind of people who had raised him. I'd not be surprised if, at first, he believed that his efforts were to protect the Wizarding world. After all, they had suffered so much already under the Muggle surpression.

Obviously at some point, he stepped over the little line of sanity and started trying to wipe out all Muggles and Muggleborn, but I think that, to, traces back to the abuse he suffered as a child.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:10 pm
I think it might have been because of his childhood, that would explain why he hated muggles and halfbloods. Maybe it was all out of revenge, but then again, he might have just wanted power. Obviously he wanted to wipe out muggles.  

KimCL
Captain

Fuzziball Fai
Fezziwig Jr

Scrappy Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:16 pm
I think that Voldemort's thought and opinions might have to do with his childhood. If he was treated badly as a child, that would affect him alot when he grew up. It would also make him hate or dislike the people who raised him. The fact that he didn't like his parents was another reason to help with this hatred. Now he wants to get rid of all of the Muggles and half-blood wizards. I can understand that, but he might also want to kill everyone so he can become stronger. The thirst for power will help him in achieving his goal. He will get more powerful when he kills off the Muggles and half-blood wizards.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:44 pm
I didn't mean to imply exactly that Voldemort wanted power because he thinks he is supirior. That is a factor to some extent. I mean people who think of themselves as "better" always strive to keep that title. They are always trying to keep themselves best. So power is something they can strive for, power over people, becoming a supirior.

But I think Tom didn't think of himself as supirior until later in his life, when he knew he had stronger power. During his later years at hogwarts I really think he began to see how much power he had, and how much more he could obtain.

But his childhood, he lived it unloved, and alone. And full of hatred, for his dad. Of course he grew up hating, and no love. So he has growen to know nothing but that hate and no love.

And he has a thirst to prove himself, he is a half-blood so he grew up always being considerd "less" especially in his house, which is full of purebloods. So he grew a thirst to prove himself, and gaining power, being stronger, being supierior is what drove him to become one with a hunger for power.

Isotropes

Magnetic Conversationalist

Fuzziball Fai
Fezziwig Jr

Scrappy Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:02 pm
Well, if he was brought up treated like he was less, wouldn't he want revenge on everyone except for those people who had the mixed blood. It makes sense that he wants to destroy all of the Muggles because of the way he was treated, but what I have a question about is why is he going to destroy those people with mixed blood? He himself has mixed blood. Is it because anyone with mixed blood is related to Muggles in some way? It's a question that's been bothering me for a while now.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:23 pm
He's trying to rid the Wizarding world, it seems, of all traces of Muggles. If anything, if I were in his shoes, I would've gone after the purebloods and muggles first. Although, he has made a mockery of the whole 'pureblood' thing where they are supposedly superior. He has people like Lucius Malfoy, a known 'superior being,' bowing down to him. However, you do notice he's techinically taken over the Wizarding world, but hasn't gained the limelight yet?  

darkangeloflight14

Fuzziball Fai
Fezziwig Jr

Scrappy Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:54 pm
Yes, but if Voldemort wants to get ris of all traces of Muggles in the Wizarding World, he wouldn't be able to live. The man does have mixed blood running through his veins. That means that if he truly wishes everyone who has Muggle blood in them to be dead, he would have to die also, but then again...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:34 am
Well, you can look at it this way. Hitler was a Nazi and wanted all Jews and not "God's chosen race" to die. He himself was Jewish. So, you could look at it that way in the fact that he was what he wanted to get rid of.  

DarkAngelPoetess65

Fuzziball Fai
Fezziwig Jr

Scrappy Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:32 pm
Yeah. I see what you mean by that. I was thinking the same thing after I posted.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:09 pm
I do not believe that Voldemort is an arrogant power craving lunitic. I don't think he wanted to think that he was better and so destroyed people because of it. I think that he just wanted power, and people who stood in his way were a problem. Plus, he disliked Muggles, and just becaues he is half doesn't mean he has to kill himself . . . and DarkAngel65 . . .it was his mother (or grandmother) that was Jewish, not him. People arn't born a religion they choose a religion, they can convert or have no religion. If he didnt' like Jewish people-which he didn't-why would he be one. He wasn't. Of course it's not the same with Voldemort on account he can't change his blood line.  

Sakura_kura
Vice Captain

darkangeloflight14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:10 pm
Sakura_kura
I do not believe that Voldemort is an arrogant power craving lunitic. I don't think he wanted to think that he was better and so destroyed people because of it. I think that he just wanted power, and people who stood in his way were a problem. Plus, he disliked Muggles, and just becaues he is half doesn't mean he has to kill himself . . . and DarkAngel65 . . .it was his mother (or grandmother) that was Jewish, not him. People arn't born a religion they choose a religion, they can convert or have no religion. If he didnt' like Jewish people-which he didn't-why would he be one. He wasn't. Of course it's not the same with Voldemort on account he can't change his blood line.

Unfortunately, Sakura, the Jewish faith doesn't work the way the Christian faith does. If any of Hitler's family was Jewish, then, through the blood, they are. I have a friend who's Jewish and she explained that one can choose to practice the Jewish religion, BUT they are NOT JEWISH!!! One has to be born into the line to be Jewish. So, it is possible Hitler was Jewish.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:31 pm
darkangeloflight14
Sakura_kura

Unfortunately, Sakura, the Jewish faith doesn't work the way the Christian faith does. If any of Hitler's family was Jewish, then, through the blood, they are. I have a friend who's Jewish and she explained that one can choose to practice the Jewish religion, BUT they are NOT JEWISH!!! One has to be born into the line to be Jewish. So, it is possible Hitler was Jewish.

Okay, so is it possible to be half-Jewish? Because that's the most possible amount of Jewish Hitler was. The entire 'Hitler and his family were Jews' thing is mostly just a myth.

Anyway, I'm just curious. When does everyone think Voldie came into 'power'? Was he always evil, did he have little followers in his first year? (which would be really heart-breaking, in a way) Or did he not gain power till after Hogwarts? Or was it gradual? Any thoughts?  

Empress_Kat
Crew

-okonomiyaki o konomu-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:55 pm
Empress_Kat
darkangeloflight14
Sakura_kura

Okay, so is it possible to be half-Jewish? Because that's the most possible amount of Jewish Hitler was. The entire 'Hitler and his family were Jews' thing is mostly just a myth.

Anyway, I'm just curious. When does everyone think Voldie came into 'power'? Was he always evil, did he have little followers in his first year? (which would be really heart-breaking, in a way) Or did he not gain power till after Hogwarts? Or was it gradual? Any thoughts?

Yes, Hitler was definitely not all Jewish. And it is possible to view being Jewish as part of a heritage, rather than just being part of a religion. From what I understand, Hitler did have some Jewish heritage. He was definitely quite similar to Voldemort (or should I say Voldemort is quite similar to him) in that not only was he part of what he hated, but also that he valued pure-bloodedness (in his case, being a pure-blooded Aryan), when he himself was not pure-blood.

But anyway, that's a good question, Empress_Kat. In CoS he mentions having friends in school who already referred to him as Voldemort, though it's hard to say if they were in any way "followers." He was definitely trying to gain power while he was in Hogwarts though, as we can tell by his opening of the Chamber of Secrets. I do think it was gradual in some way though, because when he was a student, there could have been the potential to "save" him from becoming truly evil, but now there is chance of that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:46 pm
KirikoAkushi
Empress_Kat
darkangeloflight14
Sakura_kura

Yes, Hitler was definitely not all Jewish. And it is possible to view being Jewish as part of a heritage, rather than just being part of a religion. From what I understand, Hitler did have some Jewish heritage. He was definitely quite similar to Voldemort (or should I say Voldemort is quite similar to him) in that not only was he part of what he hated, but also that he valued pure-bloodedness (in his case, being a pure-blooded Aryan), when he himself was not pure-blood.

But anyway, that's a good question, Empress_Kat. In CoS he mentions having friends in school who already referred to him as Voldemort, though it's hard to say if they were in any way "followers." He was definitely trying to gain power while he was in Hogwarts though, as we can tell by his opening of the Chamber of Secrets. I do think it was gradual in some way though, because when he was a student, there could have been the potential to "save" him from becoming truly evil, but now there is chance of that.
This is just me rambeling but follow me if you can. I think that Dumbledore may have took Tom Riddel under his wing so to say, b/c he was a teacher when Riddel was a student. And Dumbledore tried to steer Tom to a good light but somewhere along the way Tom turned away and became Voldermort. Then comes Harry. The similaries between Harry and Voldermort are too close to not mention. Both Tom and Harry are orphans. Both hated the places where they lived and the things that they had to do where they lived. And both have been taken under the wings of Dumbledore. Tom turned 'dark.' Maybe Dumbledore is doing what he is with Harry b/c he doesn't want Harry to b/c what Voldermort is.  

DarkAngelPoetess65

darkangeloflight14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:36 pm
DarkAngel65
KirikoAkushi
Empress_Kat
darkangeloflight14
Sakura_kura

This is just me rambeling but follow me if you can. I think that Dumbledore may have took Tom Riddel under his wing so to say, b/c he was a teacher when Riddel was a student. And Dumbledore tried to steer Tom to a good light but somewhere along the way Tom turned away and became Voldermort. Then comes Harry. The similaries between Harry and Voldermort are too close to not mention. Both Tom and Harry are orphans. Both hated the places where they lived and the things that they had to do where they lived. And both have been taken under the wings of Dumbledore. Tom turned 'dark.' Maybe Dumbledore is doing what he is with Harry b/c he doesn't want Harry to b/c what Voldermort is.

Interesting theory, DarkAngel. However, I don't quite think that Dumbledore is that valiant. He may just be trying to redeem himself from the failure that is Tom Riddle.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff