Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Information on Cathlic Beliefs Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jessz_612

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:25 pm
Hello,I am currently a Baptist,but I am interested in the Cathlic church and would like more information.I would really appreciate any information i can get.Thank You.PRAISE GOD  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Well, I'm Catholic, so...what exactly do you want to know? You can feel free to PM me with any questions, or I can give you some links that might be helpful. Or both.  

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

brad175

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:31 pm
I can tell you a little about the catholic church: Meaningless rules and regulations that are not essential to salvation or a holy life. Just like ancient Israelites.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:55 pm
brad175
I can tell you a little about the catholic church: Meaningless rules and regulations that are not essential to salvation or a holy life. Just like ancient Israelites.
What a fine example of a respectful, loving Christian you are. rolleyes  

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

dirtdevilgrunt13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:44 pm
You wanna know something?

STAY BAPITIST!
All I am saying...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:03 pm
You could try the Catholic Encyclopaedia but its a bit dry. And probably a tad too comprehensive for you.

If you have any specific questions, you could ask them.

Or better yet - go to a Catholic church and ask a priest. I'm sure they'd be happy to help.  

ZeroZenzic

dirtdevilgrunt13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:10 am
Catholics=major stuck up fundies!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:45 pm
For information and defense of the teachings of the Church, Catholic Answers, http://www.catholic.com/ is a great resource.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM The Catechism of the Catholic Church has all you need to know and more about the Catholic Church.

Or just PM me.

The Nicene Creed is a very brief summary of the Catholic Christian faith.

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered, died, and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.  

fantrl

AoiNamida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Breifly, They like Mary almost as much as Jesus, plus a buncha crazy saints ive never heard of. And theyre tad more strict. And I think they own St.Judes but Im not sure.
Not necessarily worse or better than regular christianity.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:02 pm
brad175

Huh, that' a lot like Protestantism.

I go to a Baptist church, but from my understanding some Catholics are great. Because of a few people who claim to be Catholic all of them are often stereotyped as a bad thing. I have also noticed that some seem to look down on Protestants, but I will get over that.

I don't believe Peter was the first pope, or that the Pope is the leader of the Christian world etc, etc.

Also do they baptize infants or something like that? I disagree there if they do.

The Catholic church fascinates me, but I don't think I will ever become Catholic.

They are our brothers and sisters in Christ, we should not forget to love them.  

xkid0

Sim2

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 pm
Many people post that Catholicism is too strict but it really isn't. Some also beleive that Catholics hate science, etc. But Catholicism has truly become a great deal more relaxed.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:53 pm
jessz_612
Hello,I am currently a Baptist,but I am interested in the Cathlic church and would like more information.I would really appreciate any information i can get.Thank You.PRAISE GOD

Roman Catholicism isn't a pretty denomination theologically in my opinion. Your way better off as a Baptist, freed from the Papal commands.  

Metanoeo

Doc Pepoluan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:36 am
Just for your information, I have been -- and still am -- a Pentecostal / Charismatic Christian. Yet God has led me to study Catholicism, so I am currently following a class for Christians-wanting-to-be-Catholics.

I have heard -- a lot -- of popular Christian misgivings about Catholics. Unlike many fellow Christians, I chose to check them out myself, as The Lord exhorts to "test everything".

xkid0
I don't believe Peter was the first pope, or that the Pope is the leader of the Christian world etc, etc.
No, Peter was not the first pope. He was, however, the leader of the apostles. Catholics believe that the church is built upon the apostles and the prophets [Eph 2:19-20]. So, there has to be the successors to the original apostles, succesio apostolica if I'm not mistaken. So, instead of "Peter was the first pope," it is more proper to say, "The popes are successors of Peter."

xkid0
Also do they baptize infants or something like that? I disagree there if they do.
The current Catholic teaching admits that infants do not understand the meaning of baptism. So, for infants, baptism is to be taken as the 'giving of infants into the protection of the Lord'. Which is why in Catholicism they have the Chrisma Sacrament (forgive me if I don't know the proper English term; it is spelt -- and read -- "Krisma" in my native language).

xkid0
The Catholic church fascinates me, but I don't think I will ever become Catholic.
No need to. We all are believers in Jesus Christ, the Savior.

The greatest stumbling block perhaps is the devotion to Mary and the Saints. The priest helpfully explained that this is perhaps the most misunderstood aspect of Catholicism; Catholics do not worship Mary or the Saints. They just honor them, with Mary a special honoration for her special role in the 1st coming of Christ. The priest and the cathecist (i.e. the teacher teaching Catholicism) stresses strongly that we must worship and pray to God only, i.e. The Holy Trinity.

And please, fellow Christians. You surely can do better than stick names to Catholics; why would you denigrate your fellow believers? Why not show some love. At least, "Agree to Disagree", and thus help mend the big chasmic rift between Christians and Catholics.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:57 pm
pepoluan
The greatest stumbling block perhaps is the devotion to Mary and the Saints. The priest helpfully explained that this is perhaps the most misunderstood aspect of Catholicism; Catholics do not worship Mary or the Saints. They just honor them, with Mary a special honoration for her special role in the 1st coming of Christ. The priest and the cathecist (i.e. the teacher teaching Catholicism) stresses strongly that we must worship and pray to God only, i.e. The Holy Trinity.

Doesn't Roman Catholics believe that Mary is the "Mediatrix of All Graces" and "co-Redemptrix of the Universe"?

Let me quote Pope Pius XII, in the Marian Year in which he proclaimed the Assumption of Mary.

Pope Pius XII
"Enraptured by the splendor of your heavenly beauty and impelled by the anxiety of the world, we cast ourselves into your arms, O, immaculate mother of Jesus, and our mother, Mary. God crowned you Queen of the Universe.

O, crystal fountain of faith, bathe our minds with eternal truths; O, fragrant lily of all holiness, captivate our hearts with your heavenly perfume. O, conqueress of evil and death, inspire in us a deep honor of sin. O, well beloved of God, hear the ardent cries which rise from every heart in this year dedicated to you: convert the wicked, dry the tears of the afflicted and the oppressed. Comfort the poor and the humble, quench hatred, sweeten harshness.

In your name, resounding harmoniously in heaven may they recognize they're all brothers. And, finally, happy with you we may repeat before your throne that hymn which is sung today around your altars: You are all beautiful, O, Mary, you are the glory; you are the joy; you are the honor of our people."

Thats not worship?  

Metanoeo

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:42 pm
This is not a debate about Catholicism, so stop it.

The rules of LTFF.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces