Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Full submersion of Baptism! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spazzed_out_Basil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:38 pm
Ok to everyone out there before you go post crazy i don't want any of you to get negative or mad at any of the Protestants, Catholics, or Jews. I would like to have this be a nice discussion with loads of references before you say anything is this rock hard.
Topic: Full submersion of baptism!!!!!! What is your view on it?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:42 pm
I understand that your last two topics turned into Catholic/Protestant conversations, but what exactly are you asking? You forgot to address that.  

Scripps

Scripps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:52 pm
I received your PMs and accepted your friend request, but I cant reply because your PMs are turned off.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:11 pm
FULL SUBMERSION ALL THE WAY
In the Bible, countless people were fully submersed.
Jesus Paul, the three thousand at Pentecost.
There are recourdings were men were "raised up out of the water" meaning you have to be under to get out of it.
Baptism is burial in Our Savior.
Not a sprinkling.
Not a pouring.
Try to find Bible verses were men have water poured or sprinkled on their head.  

Collun

Sitalkes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:14 pm
Yes we must be fully submerged. Also, anyone who is a father figure to a person can preform a baptismal on a boy or girl or man or women. I dont think its right to "baptise" or "crisin" babys.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:27 pm
look at the definition of Baptism in Latin and Greek it means Dipping in or under water it comes from the Greek word Baftisma or a washing plus sprinkling is hardly used.  

Spazzed_out_Basil

Ace xAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:28 pm
I agree with submersion myself..even the Greek word for baptism is baptismo..which means "to immerse."

From how I've been raised, I see it as a great thing to choose to do if you really wish to express your commitment to God and with Christ. Now whether it's necessary or not..that goes onto another whole debate..some think it is..others think it isn't..from how I was taught..it's necessary..but many up here I know say it's a great symbol to express but it's irrelevant.

They use examples like the thief who hung next to Christ just before He died..that he was not baptised yet Christ said he would be with him in paradise since the thief chose to accept Christ right then and there..but to me..baptism is just something I follow after Christ had conquered death..that after He did so, that was when it was time for ppl to do as Peter had told everyone to do when they asked him what they should do (just after Christ's own baptism).

Yeah that last part is kinda confusing..I just thought of that and haven't honestly thought it through enough to have a point that would work, sweatdrop

In any case..I'll say what my brother used to always say to me, "Wel'p, if it was good enough for Jesus, then it sure is good enough for me!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:39 pm
I agree with Ace to an extent... I don't believe it's necessary, but I have a problem with physical things.

I tend to reject physical things as important. Like in Adoration, we have a golden ornate cross in the room in front of the Tabernacle to represent Christ, as He's present... The first temple Solomon built for God for the Ark to reside in, gorgeous. Expensive. Ornate. Gold and only the best of wood (cyprus, I think) and silver and bronze EVERYWHERE. (And built with "forced labor", but I'll not go into that.)

Catholic churches, I'm sure you've seen them... Whereas the pilgrims, at the moment the name of their branch escapes me... bare wood. Austere, the exact opposite. I tend to agree more with the latter...

I can't understand why God would be so immersed in physical materials, how He would appreciate and enjoy such earthly possessions. He made them! Why would He care so much about them?

... but I'm ranting and going entirely off-topic now. My point being, I believe more in the symbolism and spiritual meaning of it... and for that reason, entirely submersing is unnecessary. Pouring (they don't "sprinkle") holy water over and oil on the head is fine...  

Aetherius Lamia

Ace xAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:45 pm
Aye..all I can say from this point..whether or not someone may believe it's needed or not..it's all down to what's in the person's heart and how God will choose to judge it..so I do agree with you on that Aetherius.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:58 pm
God cares not about physical things, it is the thought.
Solomon spent so much on the Temple that God was pleased that he was that faithful.
Baptism is not physical. It is Spiritual.
Without it we are lost.
It is remission of sins. Without it we have sin and are doomed.
It is the same as Christ. He was submerged and was forgiven of sin (he didn't have any but he knew that it was so important that he did it even though he was perfect.) This means that we have to get baptised for we are no where near perfect. The Catholics do Lent because Jesus did it yet they skim over baptism funny huh?
Lent totally off subject but i feel it needs addressing.
Christ was as man on Earth. Nothing special. No super powers or laser eyes. His miracles were through God. He went 40 days with no food only water. Yes he had water. He would have died without it. The Catholics also feel the need to skim over NO FOOD for 40 days and just one type of food or not even food but an object. Sorry. That was way off topic.  

Collun

windswept_fury

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:51 am
I know, I'm not Catholic, so I'm probably not welcome here. But I'm still gonna put my two cents in. Baptism isn't as important as you think. Fist, the change has got to take place in your heart. You have to decide in your heart that you believe that Jesus is the Christ, The Son of The Living God, your Lord and Savior. Baptism is only a public proclaimation of that choice. You're not gonna go to Hell just because you weren't baptised.

Don't get me wrong, you have to have made that descision, and with that usually comes baptism - just as part of the package. But, if for some reason, you don't go under - it's okay.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:02 am
Collun
God cares not about physical things, it is the thought.
Solomon spent so much on the Temple that God was pleased that he was that faithful.
Baptism is not physical. It is Spiritual.
Without it we are lost.
It is remission of sins. Without it we have sin and are doomed.
It is the same as Christ. He was submerged and was forgiven of sin (he didn't have any but he knew that it was so important that he did it even though he was perfect.) This means that we have to get baptised for we are no where near perfect. The Catholics do Lent because Jesus did it yet they skim over baptism funny huh?
Lent totally off subject but i feel it needs addressing.
Christ was as man on Earth. Nothing special. No super powers or laser eyes. His miracles were through God. He went 40 days with no food only water. Yes he had water. He would have died without it. The Catholics also feel the need to skim over NO FOOD for 40 days and just one type of food or not even food but an object. Sorry. That was way off topic.

Sorry, but i think you may have missed the point of baptism.... It is a public display of your faith. When you get baptized, you are pretty much saying "Hey, I'm a Christian and I'm not afraid to show it." When you invite Jesus into your heart, HE washes the sin away. Not baptism.  

Kali-san

Collun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:46 pm
No. Baptism doesn't have to be public. That is like the Pharisees in the New Testament, how they prayed out loud and showed their fasting. Baptism is a link with God. Without it, God cannot wash away our sins. Even Jesus, who was perfect, was baptized. That gives it utmost importance. If you're covered with dirt, sprinkling or pouring will not cleanse you.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:50 pm
Collun
No. Baptism doesn't have to be public. That is like the Pharisees in the New Testament, how they prayed out loud and showed their fasting. Baptism is a link with God. Without it, God cannot wash away our sins. Even Jesus, who was perfect, was baptized. That gives it utmost importance. If you're covered with dirt, sprinkling or pouring will not cleanse you.
So, since I haven't been baptized yet, I will not go to heaven if I die? That is a lie. I am sorry, but it is. Jesus plainly said. "I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. No one comes to the Father except by Me."
I am sorry, but baptizm is a public demonstration of your faith.

And baptizm isn't boasting. Baptizm is publicly showing that you aren't ashamed.  

Kali-san

Collun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:59 pm
I'm 13 and I'm not baptized. And I believe that if I die or Christ comes, I'll go to Hell. Yes I do. But I don't think I'm ready yet. And also, There are tests after baptism. In 1st or 2nd Peter he talks about a way to know if you are going to heaven. But you need baptism too.
Also, if you are not baptized, God will not cleanse you. That means you are not ready to be cleansed.
And in the New Testament, you ever notice how the Spirit only comes on the baptized? And the Apostles and Jesus fully submerged people, because it is like being buried with Christ, and as Christ was.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff