72%
 72%  [ 16 ]
No, it's not fair to a team that could be down by 1 but have no timeouts left
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 22

BlizzPack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:45 pm
Is it a good thing to allow a team with the lead to kneel to run time off the clock to seal a victory?

In arena football a team that has the lead cannot kneel to run time off the clock in the last minute of the game, and all plays must be for positive yards or the clock stops. This keeps the game competitive until the very end. What if the NFL did something similar?

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:04 pm
if a kneel wasnt allowed they would just do the quarterback sneak..  

Darkswade

Nyuupyon
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:25 pm
Or just run the ball with the fullback. Anyway, I think it's alright to kneel the ball. You have like, 58 minutes or so before to play to win.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:00 am
True, teams would simply run the ball (as they generally do in arena ball) and as long as they could get positive yards it wouldn't matter. But running the ball brings up the risk of a fumble which is why teams wouldn't want to do that if they could just kneel.

If one team has a blow out lead over the other then I find kneeling acceptable since there's nothing the losing team can do and there's no point risking injury to players.

But if one team is down by a field goal or less under 2 minutes and failed on an onside kick or something then I feel that the competitiveness of the game is ruined a bit. Who knows what would happen in the final 2 minutes if the team with a small deficit were allowed a better shot at getting the ball back?  

BlizzPack

geko87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:29 am
no its not fair....it should be eliminated....it is a cheap way to win.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:42 pm
although i say it is fair, i definetly dislike kneeling the ball.  

Yawneez

Interesting Raider

Corp_Forrest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:03 pm
It's just the way it is. It's the same thing as if the QB fell down and the play was called dead.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:19 pm
Nyu-kun
Or just run the ball with the fullback. Anyway, I think it's alright to kneel the ball. You have like, 58 minutes or so before to play to win.
Exactly what I think  

Devil-Dog-Unit

Spirit of Heaven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:03 pm
I think that taking a knee is a cheap way to win. You can attempt to force a fumble in a QB sneak or if the fullback is given the ball, but when a QB takes a knee the defense has no chance. It should be eliminated.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:25 pm
Personally, I'd like to see the NFL adapt the same rules as arena football in that the team with the lead and the ball has to have their plays go for positive yards or the clock stops so it's more competitive.

Let's say it's conference playoff time and both teams remained close the entire game, but the team that's down by a couple of points is out of time outs after getting a score with less than 2 minutes remaining. They attempt an onside kick and fail. So then the leading team can just kneel and that's it. It's a cheap victory and then they get to go to the Super Bowl. Now really, who wouldn't be upset if that happened to their team?

If a team was only meant to have 58 minutes to win then the game would be 58 minutes long instead of 60.  

BlizzPack

Jcsb1993

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:23 pm
Ugh. It's fair, because you think of how hard the team worked to get in that position, but at the same time, it seems like a cheap way to win.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:17 am
Its all strategy...why would you risk the game at that point?  

Glarken

King Chrono

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:05 pm
BlizzPack
If a team was only meant to have 58 minutes to win then the game would be 58 minutes long instead of 60.

3nodding Yup 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:56 am
BlizzPack
True, teams would simply run the ball (as they generally do in arena ball) and as long as they could get positive yards it wouldn't matter. But running the ball brings up the risk of a fumble which is why teams wouldn't want to do that if they could just kneel.

If one team has a blow out lead over the other then I find kneeling acceptable since there's nothing the losing team can do and there's no point risking injury to players.

But if one team is down by a field goal or less under 2 minutes and failed on an onside kick or something then I feel that the competitiveness of the game is ruined a bit. Who knows what would happen in the final 2 minutes if the team with a small deficit were allowed a better shot at getting the ball back?

But what about the Heidi Bowl? 2 touchdowns in under a minute for a comeback victory...  

Centurion_Beta

Dapper Genius

6,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300

BlizzPack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:23 am
By blowout lead I mean something like 30 points or more, something pretty much impossible to get in 2 minutes. Then I would find kneeling more acceptable, but I still don't like it.

2 TDs in under a minute is more possible, hence the reason that team should be given a shot at getting them.  
The NFL Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff