DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:09 am
Spawned from a different post, I started thinking about magic items. So, what are your favourite magic items, or just some of the most memorable items you've used/created? I, personally, have never created a magic item, because I was unaware of just how cheap the exp cost is really...I always hated the thought of losing exp, so I never looked into it. Recently though, I started doing the calculation for like, wands, because I started to realize how useful wands can be for a wizard (I've never played a magic user really), and realized that the exp cost is pretty minimal.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:49 pm
My DM gave us a magic item once, that we never managed to identify. It was given to me because it was my turn for last dibs on treasure, and no one else was brave enough to take it.

You've seen Sage use it in the tavern, it's just a plain silver ring that allows him to communicate with others regardless of language barriers.

It has limitations though. He can't understand things like Celestial or Abyssal (different planes) and it stops working for languages that he begins to learn. He discovered this effect when he learned what the Drow word 'vith' meant. Poof, suddenly he can't understand a word these particular captors are saying. The rest of the party was not amused.  

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:51 pm
heh, yeah that could hurt. The less you know, the better off you are.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:40 pm
My favourite magic item was a small glowing rock that the party had found. Not much more light than a candle. We spent more time trying to figure out what that rock did (thousands of gold on Identify spells, untill I could get a level of Wizard). We became so obsesed with the rock that we completly ignored the fact that the world was gonna end.

The most useful magic item I've ever had the pleasure of using was a Foldable Boat. Now, I was DMing this one >.> (yes, here it comes). I had given the party an ....out in the middle of the woods where the nearest water source was a small creek. They went on and eventually forgot about the boat. Now, they were in this rather large dungeon, and the Barbarian had set off a trap in a huge chamber. The chamer seals off and starts filling up with water....very rapidly. The party scrambles and fights to find a way to shut off the trap, untill finnaly, after the water was up to the Orc's chest, did they realize that they, indeeed, had a Foldable Boat. My parties hate me . crying  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

blakat1313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:57 pm
I was in a campaign with pet rocks. Those were loads of fun, if you ignore the fact that everyone else got stuff like wish blades and rings of D'Jinni calling. The idea was brought into another campaign where things were a little better, the rocks did some awesome stuff. What happens is, every now and then, the DM says "pet rock check" and you roll a D20. Then whatever you get corresponds to a result. In the second incarnation, if you rolled a 20, the rock would glow and turn into a pile of gems. Then when you went for them it would disappear in a cloud of smoke and turn back into a rock.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:50 pm
blakat1313
I was in a campaign with pet rocks. Those were loads of fun, if you ignore the fact that everyone else got stuff like wish blades and rings of D'Jinni calling. The idea was brought into another campaign where things were a little better, the rocks did some awesome stuff. What happens is, every now and then, the DM says "pet rock check" and you roll a D20. Then whatever you get corresponds to a result. In the second incarnation, if you rolled a 20, the rock would glow and turn into a pile of gems. Then when you went for them it would disappear in a cloud of smoke and turn back into a rock.

That's cool, but a little mean, unless different outcomes would yield something awesomely helpful?  

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

AsuraTheDrunk

Omnipresent Gaian

10,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:29 pm
I had a pet bag once.

We never pegged down its exact abilities, but basically I was playing a very anti-materialistic monk, just the bare necessities(before the VoP and besides levle 5 I wasnt hurting much anyway)) anyway I was wandering about an abandoned town(yea not normal) and I find a bag, I examine the bag to see what it is, but not being interested I leave it. As I continue to walk I notice the bag attached to me o.O?

So I throw it away, then BAM right back on my hip. I throw it a couple more times and it just comes back. My character has a bit of fun tossing the bag and watching it poof back, he even pets it(its does this wierd purring thing) So my character has a new pet.

Anyway we find out this bag can get bigger and smaller(at my will) we also find that anything put in the bag becomes bigger with it, one of the more clever in the party gets the idea of putting in a gold coin to get a mondo sized one, my character refuses, but we still found some uses for the bag(taking tons of equipment, shrinking it for easy portability)

I really liked that bag, best dog I ever had. Turns out tossing it so it returns was sorta like fetch, me and my bag(who I name Haggis) would spend hours of downtime playing like that ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:11 pm
Little Green Soldier
blakat1313

That's cool, but a little mean, unless different outcomes would yield something awesomely helpful?
Well, it had better results, that was just the coolest. One result was a random monster. You'd roll a full set of dice and turn to that page in the MM and that monster would appear until the next pet rock check. It turned into weapons and armor, and something called a defense wall. If an enemy attacked you while you had one you could chuck the rock down and it would appear in front of you for one turn. Naturally, the attacking monster needed a reflex check to not run headlong into it.  

blakat1313

Skorri Siggeir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:08 pm
Well..

Theres always the legendary Neverending Can of Pea's from Commissioned.

I used it exactly as he did.

((The peas refill the can after you eat them))

So, I put it in my slingshot and fired it at the Flesh Golem we where fighting's mouth.

I hit.

Eventually, the monster exploded biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:16 pm
In a long-running campaign I DMed, I introduced a intelligent dagger that fed off of blood, so it healed the character wielding it whenever it dealt damage. The spirit dwelling inside of it claimed to be a gnomish wizard, but was in fact a powerful demon lord that absorbed the life force of anything it killed. When the dagger dealt a killing blow to an adult green dragon, the demon accumulated enough life energy to escape the dagger. Needless to say, he went on to cause much havoc in the world, but not before his explosive escape blew the characters and the tower they were in to pieces.

In that same game, one of the PCs, a gnomish wizard who eventually became half-slaadi and a wild mage, found an object called the Orb of Chaos. Basically, he could use the orb to produce a totally random effect, with a 50% chance of the result being beneficial and a 50% chance of it being bad.

Unfortunately I never started another campaign about what happened after the characters released the demon. I may one day, though.  

Velris the Blade

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:26 pm
Aeriths_Revenge
I had a pet bag once.

We never pegged down its exact abilities, but basically I was playing a very anti-materialistic monk, just the bare necessities(before the VoP and besides levle 5 I wasnt hurting much anyway)) anyway I was wandering about an abandoned town(yea not normal) and I find a bag, I examine the bag to see what it is, but not being interested I leave it. As I continue to walk I notice the bag attached to me o.O?

So I throw it away, then BAM right back on my hip. I throw it a couple more times and it just comes back. My character has a bit of fun tossing the bag and watching it poof back, he even pets it(its does this wierd purring thing) So my character has a new pet.

Anyway we find out this bag can get bigger and smaller(at my will) we also find that anything put in the bag becomes bigger with it, one of the more clever in the party gets the idea of putting in a gold coin to get a mondo sized one, my character refuses, but we still found some uses for the bag(taking tons of equipment, shrinking it for easy portability)

I really liked that bag, best dog I ever had. Turns out tossing it so it returns was sorta like fetch, me and my bag(who I name Haggis) would spend hours of downtime playing like that ^_^

I woulda went with the mondo-sized coin *imagines her character flicking it onto someone..orusing it as a wagon wheel [stylish]...or a shield*.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 am
Our DM gave me a Hasting Cloak of insanity.
Makes you fast, but if you wear it for too long you go crazy.

I looted it off of a vampire lord, still haven't worn it yet.

Tainted Deity

Makiru Koritaigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:46 am
In my first game to DM, I made a spin-off of the Decanter of Endless Water called the " " of endless crap. It basically did the same thing as the original, but fired dung and creatures struck had to save against filth fever.

The story goes, after looting a kobold cave, the party ranger/sorcerer finds the bottle, takes it, and forgets about it. (This is the same time the barbarian got the artifact giant acorn of doom, so, of course it was ignored.)

Not until the third to last game I ran (almost six months ago), did he think of using it. They had just beaten a group of rogue kythons and he got the idea to wash off one of the corpses. Naturally, crap flies everywhere and he falls on his a**. Fortunately, a rain was coming to wash them off.

Unfortunately, it was a rain of blood. The party rushes into a Mordenkain mansion (one of the powers of the acorn) to clean off, except for the warforged paladin, who refused to go in because the acorn made his detect evil start to make his eyes stop working. So, they go in, the warforged marches through the night for several miles before he gets to a city. Of course, by this time, he's covered in blood and scares the kobold guard half to death.

Tangent to the story, the paladin worshipped the Silver Flame. Since the city he came to had churches to all the major religions (even the evil ones), he stops by the church of the Flame. He cries out about the injustice and the evil throughout the city, and the continent. The church priest says they can't do anything because the region magistrate has brought "religious equality" upon the city.

He immediately called it the "Protestant" Church of the Flame.

Funny how much story you can get out of a bottle of crap.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:38 pm
Iomma Sensei
Aeriths_Revenge
I had a pet bag once.

I woulda went with the mondo-sized coin *imagines her character flicking it onto someone..orusing it as a wagon wheel [stylish]...or a shield*.

Or you could put a vial of alhemist's fire in there, fly up above your enemies and tip the bag over. I imagine you could destroy a small army like that.  

blakat1313

Fi Kiwazori

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:33 pm
OH I have 2 favorite magical Items. The first was amce that my friend found. It was a two handed mace that could be used with one hand (He had the monkey grip feat) and it did electrical damage. Plus it would shatter bones everytime he hit. Large thunder claps would shoot out of it, and it could cast lighting and chain lighting.

It was beast

The second, and funnier one. We were doing this quest for a Wizard. We had to kill a basilisk and some other stuff. ANYWAY. (bad experiances with spiders in that story) We get back, and the guy offers us 5000 gold each, or an egg each. The eggs were magical, and if you ate it that day something would happen. He wouldn't tell us more.

Well...needless to say....we took the eggs. None of us wanted to try first lol. Well finally the Halfling theif goes "What the hell I'll eat mine" DM "Role a D6" he got a 6. DM "Well your character starts convulsing then falls in his food, dead. Roll up a new sheet!"

So we are scared to eat it now, but the Half orc eats his anyway, and he starts convusling, then vomits, then gets up. Fine. So I eat mine, and the Wizard eats his. We both roll ones. We convulse, and get +1 to all our attributes!

Pretty good right? Wrong! 2,3,4,5 on the D6 were all better. The half-orc turned into a Half-Dragon! I was so mad!

Not as mad as the Halfling though. Got owned by an egg...  
The Drunken Dwarf Tavern

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff