After his debut on the morning news show, Baking noticed that he was getting more attention in the halls. Foals were waving and saying hi,and not one of them mentioned his missing tail or wispy excuse for a mane. As he passed by one group of three fillies, he heard one whisper "He's the one that got the exclusive with Synthesis!" while the other two gasped. Baking grinned widely, getting a little more swagger in his step. His dreams were filled with adoring fans asking his opinion and hanging on his every word...

The next week, he walked into the "news room", and saw that Good Word had returned from his illness absence. Baking's heart dropped, and that swagger deflated from his hoofsteps as he slowed to a stop. Good Word noticed the brown colt, and trotted over to him, wide smile on his face.

"Baking! There you are!" he clapped the colt on the back while Baking grimaced. "Thank you so much for covering for me while I had the Phony Flu. I heard you did awesome!" Baking smiled through the sour disappointment, and said "Yeah, I guess so. Our classmates seemed to like it anyway." Good Word gave his shoulder another hearty tap before making his way back to the stage. "Well, if I ever need someone to cover for me again, I know who to ask!"

The spotted colt watched the other foal take to the swivel chair, adjusting his bow tie and coughing a few times. Bow tie...anyphony knew that bow ties were out of style. Regular ties conveyed professionalism...

He felt the embers of his happiness start to flicker and fade, like his heart was breaking. One of the camera phonies noticed that Baking seemed to shrink,
and carefully picked her way over to him.

"Baking? Are you ok?" she asked, magenta eyes worried.

Baking sniffed, not looking at her. "Uh huh."

"You know, if you want to be the anchor, you could just...say something."

Baking looked up this time, eyes sparkling with unshed tears. "But...I can't take that from Good Word! He loves his job."

"Actually, I think he likes to write more." she said, leaning in as if she were divulging a dark secret. "He's a really good actor, but I heard him say that he would much rather WRITE the stories than be in front of the camera. Just something to chew on." she said, scampering back to her camera to prepare. Baking stood still, mind working.

He thought back to the first time he'd been in the spotlight. Fighting for the attention from somephony at the science fair. How good it felt to have everyone's eyes on him.

But was the fame the real thing he was after? He knew that there was more to being famous. Taiko and Synthesis taught him that. Would he be ok with not having a private life? With phonies like himself seeking stories to further their own careers?

When he took Good Word's place, he hadn't thought about the fact that everyone was watching. He was too busy thinking about making sure he told the story. The story...that was the joy. The fame was nice, but informing phonies, that's what made his heart beat faster..

Baking inhaled, and closed his eyes. He opened them sharply, sunning toward the stage. Good Word, looked at him funny, getting off the chair.
"What's up Baking?"

"Five minutes guys!"

"I want to be the anchor!" Baking News blurted out, practically shouting.
The other foal blinked, and then laughed.

"Well, why didn't you just say so?" he said, stepping aside. "Truth be told,
I'd rather write the stories myself. I'm happy to give you the spot."

Baking couldn't believe his ears. He stepped paste Word, looking back at him to make sure. At the other foal's nod, he jumped up into the swivel chair, spinning a couple of times with the inertia. His hooves on the desktop stopped the motion, and as he stared into the camera lenses, he felt his heart start to swell. He found the magenta filly from before and gave her a salute as thanks while she beamed.

"Two minutes!" Baking was given his tie, and a comb to adjust his mane.
He took a few deep breathes as the countdown continued, excitement growing as he reviewed the stories that he was going to cover. This. This was what where he was supposed to be.

He felt a tingly sensation near his flank, and he looked down in time to see that change fade into existence. His eyes widened as his cutie mark appeared.

"Ten seconds! Pay attention Baking!"

His eyes left his flank to stare ahead, eyes shining with joy. Celebration can wait, he had a job to do.

"Good morning Phonyland Elementary! My name is Baking News, your new permanent anchor. Here's what you have to know today...."