Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 am
User Image

Seemingly refreshed by his adventure with the elephant and his reunion with his sister, Amali was in a more optimistic mood about his name quest even if he hadn't really made any progress. Since then, he'd been having a lot of dreams about fire, he couldn't seem to shake it- so he did the only thing he could think of, he went looking for the Firekin. He wasn't stupid, though. He didn't go closer than necessary- but he still felt brave, being as close as he was. He had no idea how this would help but he hadn't come to the desert yet so maybe it would help somehow.

So he was sitting in the sun, thinking about how this was exactly the opposite of the swamps he came from. This was very, very dry and uncomfortably hot. But different was probably good.

Probably.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 pm
User Image

There was a seer in the vicinity.

Tomorbaatar knew because he'd been told. By a raven. Mchawi's raven. He could have cursed when he'd heard the news uttered from the bird's beak. He could have slammed a paw down over its head and made sure it was the last thing it ever said. He hadn't, though. Mchawi seemed fond of the wretched creature and he couldn't deal with having to break the news that her poor little pet had died. But it would be tricky to say the least.

Even if he was close to 'home', he still had the unwilling hyena with him and he had spent many a day wrestling with her, forcing her to give in until she submitted. The last few days had seen her being unnervingly submissive and he knew, deep down, that she was waiting. To flee or to strike, he wasn't sure, but she was plotting and she was preparing. Soon they would be back. Then he could rest up, recover from the wounds inflicted by the canine and encourage her to the Nergui way of thinking. What he hadn't prepared for was to bring home another follower.

Here's hoping this one would be willing.

It took him an hour or so of walking but, eventually, he caught the scent of another. A male lion. Hopeful. He gave the hyena a long, warning growl and watched as she shifted uneasily. She'd picked up on the scent too and was probably thinking they were coming close to his pride's camp. They were close but not that close.

"Try anything funny and my teeth will sink so far into your back they'll break your spine."

The hyena snarled.

What? He'd done with being pleasant.

With a sharp breath, Tomorbaatar roared, long and low, to announce his coming, and then, with the hyena in his vision to his left, he strode forwards towards the lion.

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm
Amali was not looking in the right direction to spot the strange pair heading his way until there was a roar to alert him of their presence. It didn't sound threatening but it put him on edge all the same. He might be familiar with some of the Firekin from the little adventure with the elephant but he knew their reputation and their thoughts regarding fireless lions.

He turned his attention in the direction the roar had come from and was surprised when it was a pale blue figure that appeared in the distance, accompanied by a smaller creature he didn't immediately recognize. He stood up and waited for them to get close enough to hear him before calling out.

"Hello there!"

His tone was polite and friendly but his demeanor was cautious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:25 pm
Tomorbaatar prized himself of subtlety, but it was hard to be subtle when one was accompanied by a ragged hyena and the both of them looked a little worse for wear. Still, it didn't keep him from trying and as he drew nearer he put on his most charming smile and dipped his head.

"Greetings."

Now. How to address the topic. He couldn't very well say that he'd been sent to find him by someone who had seen him in a vision. That had not gone down too well with the hyena - even though, to him, it made perfect sense. He supposed that came from being around seers all one's life. You tended to get used to them sharing their knowledge of things that they should not be able to know.

"Mind if I sit with you? I've had a long journey and my companion is not the most talkative of creatures."

The hyena, dithering a few paces away, was unusually quiet. Tomor rolled his shoulders and continued: "I'm heading back to my people. I wonder, if by chance, you might have come across them? An unkempt looking bunch, to some, I suppose. Always looking for rogue lions - and hyenas - with talent."

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm
Amali returned the nod when Tomorbaatar came close enough to chat politely. Everything seemed normal so far, though there was something about the hyena with him that made Amali uneasy- but he decided it was because he had never really seen one this close up before.

"Of course," he said, taking a seat again though not letting his guard down completely. He was intrigued when the stranger asked if he has seen his people, "I haven't seen any lions out here so far, though I'm sure I'm near the Firekin lands."

He couldn't help but look the blue lion up and down before continuing.

"But you can't possibly be one of them," he commented, pausing to consider what talents they must be seeking in rogues and hyenas.. but coming up with no reasonable way to question that just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:40 pm
He laughed, a pleasant enough sound, and shook his head. "No. I don't think my pelt would meet their strict criteria." His smile widened - grew toothy. "I know of them, though. I believe my people may even have had a couple of run-ins with them. I've been away for some time, though, so there is no telling what might have transpired since then."

He blinked his bright eyes and gestured northwards. "If you have no place else to go, I might suggest you continue on with me. It is a good place and the people there are brave and strong. And, unlike the Firekin, pelt colour is no hindrance. You would be welcomed as brethren there."

Perhaps he need not mention seers at all, though he would have to find out some way to make sure that this was the lion he sought. "Lions from all walks of life have collected under one banner. Lions who are strong. Lions who are smart. Lions who have accomplished great deeds. Even lions known to the southern people as seers." He paused, turning to look at Amali. "They are a strange kind but invaluable to have as part of the pride. Their insight is fascinating. Have you ever come across it yourself?"

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:47 pm
"Oh."

It was interesting to hear him say his people may have had run-ins with the Firekin, it wasn't something that Amali would ever talk about so casually. Maybe when he was younger and before he had seen Firekin in action, even if it was part of a larger group in that hunt for the elephant. It made him wonder if this stranger wasn't from some rival warrior group, though the hyena hardly looked like a talented warrior, especially partnered with a lion.

And then, suddenly, he realized he was being recruited into whatever this group was. And he wasn't being given very much information about it. He did like to hear it was smart, strong and accomplished lions- he liked to think he was all of those things. He opened his mouth to reveal that he was not actually a rogue when the subject turned to seers. His mouth closed again and he thought about it.

"I have known seers, some more closely than others," he said, slowing down as some realization dawned on him, "Though I wouldn't say I understand it completely."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 pm
Indeed. He was certainly being recruited - of the attempt was being made, anyway. The Shuko had done this many times before, though this was a slightly different situation than those that had happened previously. His eyes darted across to watch the hyena but she still sat very still.

It was hard: dividing one's attention between two things.

"I don't think it's an easy thing to understand, from what I am told. Some seers are so good at what they do they can see things almost with a single thought. For others it seems more difficult. All I know is that nothing I have ever dreamt has ever come true or held any truth to it. I wonder, though, whether sometimes it is hard to decipher what is just a dream and what is a vision." He gave a meaningful look at Amali and then gave a short shrug. "Perhaps, when I am home, I will ask."

He smiled again. "You say you knew some well? Do you have seers in your family?"

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 pm
Amali nodded. It wasn't an easy thing to understand. His grandfather had described his adolescence as primarily troubled- and mostly because of visions he couldn't control. He did eventually gain enough control to take them down in frequency. And he had a cousin who supposedly had visions he could never remember but always seemed to send him to the right places at the right time. It was a confusing ability to have.

"My grandfather," he responded, still looking thoughtful, "Some of my aunts and uncles, too, I believe. Cousins.. but I am from a large family- and my grandfather's mother was a goddess."

He didn't think twice about mentioning it. Gods were completely normal for him, he had never met his great-grandmother but Wahabu didn't keep his mother a secret, especially when handling questions about visions. It was just how things were, gods and seers were connected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 pm
It had always been said that seers were connected to the Gods. He'd never doubted it but neither had he met any seer who could tell him they knew the god who had put that blood into their veins. But here this lion was, telling him this, and the relative wasn't even that distant in the grand scheme of things. This was right then. This was his lion.

The hyena's ears had lifted, perhaps sensing his growing excitement at having found the lion of whom the raven had spoken.

"If that is true, you could very well have the blood of a seer in your veins. Perhaps some of the seers in my pride might be able to tell you? Teach you how to harness the gift if it does exist in you?" By now he had assumed that this lion was a rogue. He hadn't even thought to ask him if he was in a pride.

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:46 pm
By now in their conversation, Amali had started connecting some dots he hadn't realized could be connected and had come to the conclusion that he just might be a seer. It felt too strange a coincidence now that his dreams had brought him here, to the Firekin desert, where he would have a conversation with a stranger about seers.

No, they both had to be right. But did that mean he ought to consider his offer? He had his own people to talk to if he wanted to .. harness his gift. Perhaps not as well as a pride that seemed so concerned with it, though.. but he had a bad feeling about it, it might have been the casual mention of conflict with the Firekin. Or it might have been something else.

"That is an interesting offer but I'm not sure you should waste your time with me," he said, recalling how the blue stranger had suggested they were looking for rogue lions with talent-- had he known where this conversation would go all along? That made him even more suspicious.

"I'm quite sure I don't have that kind of talent," he said, daring to try lying to a suspected seer, "And I'm not even a rogue, I came this way out of curiosity but I have to return to my home before too long.'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm
Crap.

As hopeful as things had been looking, they were already beginning to slip away. But what other options did he have left to him now? If he returned without the seer then it'd be a failure, but he couldn't manhandle both back to the Nergui lands.

Perhaps he could try one last time to bring the lion around to his thinking. "Honestly, it wouldn't be any waste. If you're out all this way anyway, what is a few more days? It might not take long for our seers to teach you a thing or two and then you can be on your way again." A lie, but by the time he realised, it'd be too late. "Perhaps your abilities are just lying dormant, waiting to be awoken." He leaned closer to the male, trying his best to stay as friendly as he could.

"There are many things my brethren could teach which other prides could not even begin to fathom."

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 pm
No, this didn't feel right at all. Conversations like this, offers like this.. there was no way they couldn't feel suspicious, trying to describe what they had to offer as greater and more valuable than what any other pride could offer. He didn't need to learn about being a seer, no matter how much he suspected it in himself now. It didn't make him who he was if it was just showing up now and it didn't have to define him, which was what his primary focus was now.. But an easy answer was so very tempting.

"What is your pride like that you can mention conflict with a pride so renowned as the Firekin so lightly?" he asked, deciding to change the focus a bit, perhaps find out if he really did want to see it, "What makes them experts on seers?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm
He had to be careful now. One wrong step and this whole conversation could tip over into unwanted territory. "It's...not so much a conflict." He began. "More a disagreement. Some of our people strayed too far into their territory and a fight broke out. And then they sent some scouts out to spy on us and that, again, ended in conflict. I think our people are too much alike. We have strong warriors and are stubborn - just as they are."

He slowly eased himself up onto his paws, glancing around in a casual manner, trying to appear relaxed. "As for why they are experts, I suppose the sheer number of them. We have no prejudices against their gift like some. We don't try to hide it or hinder. We embrace the gifts and learn."

He shook his head. "It is a hard thing to explain. To understand, you should see for yourself."

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm
Calling themselves similar to the Firekin was not as inviting as perhaps the stranger thought. Amali was plenty confident and perhaps above average in skill in areas like hunting- something he credited his long pilgrimage for- but he wasn't much of a warrior. Not to the Firekin standards. He would treat an invitation from the Firekin with similar suspicion, if only because he would expect more outward aggression from them. The focus on seers seemed to be the difference. It might even be what was sparing him, he realized as the blue lion got to his feet again.

Not knowing how to respond, he realized there was a third party here with them- and he looked to the hyena for answers to questions he wasn't sure he had.

[IC] Nergui Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff