Other than windwaker, I should play
  Luigi's Mansion!
  Pikmin 2!
  OTHER! (Suggest)
View Results

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 am
Hey there culties, it's your pal, Kegan. Yes, it's your favorite buddy and or verbal sparring partner. If you do not know me then hello, and welcome to the cult. You'll be seeing a lot of me.

I have just come into the possession of a new gamecube controller. It's been so long since I played so many of my old favorite games, so I decided I had to play them all. Barring the possibility that any of the jobs I've applied for respond to my applications(Which is low, if my past experiences are any meter), I should have a lot of free time on my hands. I want play through all the classics from that era, Nintendo or otherwise, but I'm going to focus on ones from the gamecube, for now.

I just finished Starfox Assault, for example, and that'll get it's own little review in the following set of posts.

Feel free to suggest games from that era that I should play through. I reserve the right to re-purpose this thread into whatever, if I decide I want to widen my range of games.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 am
Why Gamecube?

Well, you see, I came into the possession of a Gamecube rather late. In fact, it wasn't until a few months after the price drop to 99 dollars. Not exactly at the end of the console's life, but definitely after the middle. At the time I was big on renting games, and didn't buy a lot, so my collection of GC games is reaaaally quite small.I was a broke a** kid at the time, and I was also spending a load of money on MMO subscriptions; It probably wasn't worth it.

See, I grew up in a split household. I was a Nintendo fan. Die hard, mostly for Zelda, and my older brother was a fan of... well uh... I guess grand theft auto, and a bigger, in general library of games. I don't regret it. If it weren't for the PS2 I wouldn't have played a lot of good games. My library of PS2 games is, of course, about twice as large as my Gamecube one, though. (I also have like 12 discs full of game demos from 2002)

Most importantly, though, my biggest reason is because I've been without a gamecube controller for a while, and unable to play the few, choice games I do own from that era of Nintendo.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 am
What games?

My Library: (Crossed out have been played through for this run)

• Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Holy cow, this game moves so slow and is so long. There's no way I'm ever playing it again. Why didn't I sell it?)

• Luigi's Mansion

• Pikmin 2

• Sonic Mega Collection
    • All Da Sonic Genesis games

• Starfox Assault

• Super Smash Bros Melee(Can one truly do a play-through of this? Perhaps you can make suggestions)

• The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
    • Zelda
    • Zelda II
    • Ocarina of Time
    • Majora's Mask

• The Legend of Zelda: Four Sword's Adventure (Due to lack of friends and cables, I never actually beat this game. I actually bought it only a few years ago, on a whim.)

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

I had Twilight Princess on the cube, but I made the mistake of letting someone borrow it. At any rate, I'd probably rather play it on Wii.

I have misplaced Sonic Adventure 2 battle, but I already know that I don't feel like it aged well.

RE4 and The Metroid Prime series are also out. But only because I've played them more recently, and prefer the wii controls.

Your Suggestions:

Jaycorn
Some of my favourite games from that era that you haven't mentioned:
-Paper Mario: TTYD
-Animal Crossing
-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
-killer7
-Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (or Colosseum, pretty sure it's basically the same deal)
-DK bongo games
-Sonic Gems Collection (though that's mostly for Sonic R and I imagine you don't really care for it razz )

Super Mario Sunshine and Double Dash!! are most likely musts for GCN, though I didn't have 'em.

Super Smash Bros Melee boss rush

Nomega
If you happen to see any of these, they're definitely worth picking up.

Chibi-Robo!
Kirby Air Ride
Timesplitters 2
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Viewtiful Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 am
WEEK ONE:
StarFox Assault

Holy Crow, man, this game is cheesy and sometimes it's just terribly voice acted. We sometimes fail to appreciate how far we've come in less than a decade from double-A games like this with voice acting this bad. I mean, Woah.

The controls are a bit confusing, and sometimes I felt like it'd help if they stopped moving around the button to fire between vehicles and on land. There may be a control option for this, but you can't change control schemes while playing levels, so I decided to just get it over with. I mean, it does make sense that the triggers should fire when you're using the C-stick to control the camera, but this just threw me for a loop every time I got back in a ship and I started breaking instead of firing.

Your first game-souring experience actually happens quite early on, when you are dropped into one of the least attractive looking areas of the game, "Katina." You're given very little guidance, which is disorienting for your first foray outside of rails. This is also the first time you have to ride in a landmaster. You do, in fact, have to face a boss, who keeps you under a near constant barrage, and this is when you will find out that if you barrel roll while firing the landmaster's slow a** cannon that it cancels it out entirely. Fun.

Landmaster portions are terrible, and the ice level, wherin you must attempt to find s**t while rolling one of these behemoths around is god awful. This is something I remember from when I played this game way back when, in the distant past of the mid-2000s.

You can avoid returning to the most awful levels in the game, but sadly I think that only left about half of the game to enjoy. Seeing as how the game has only 10 levels, this could be considered horseshit. There's not a whole lot of reason, in my opinion, to go back and play the less fun levels. Your reward for getting atleast silver medals on every level is pretty weak. It's Xevious. Ewww. I don't think I ever unlocked this reward, and having played the eShop version of this, I'm glad I never put forth the effort to.

The game has it's mediocre points, but it has some of the best dog-fighting from the GameCube era. I recall it being fun to play in multiplayer, but I don't think I'll get a chance to play it like that anytime soon.

Despite all my bitching, the Flying only levels probably earn an 8, and the on foot portions aren't too terrible either(Perhaps a bit bland); however, some portions elsewhere are downright mediocre. I'm gonna say that the game is still above average, though, all-in-all, so I'm going to award it a 6 out of 10 It's still probably a must-play for diehard star-fox enthusiasts  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 am
Okay, post now.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:25 pm
well for melee, could try to collect all trophies, thats about the equivalent of a full completion. i wouldn't worry about the ones that need other game data, just the ones in game.  

Xilo The Odd

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:13 pm
Yeah, I don't feel like doing that. Sounds a little beyond the scope of my goal here, which is to simply play through some good games. It's not a completion-ist thing. I've never really been for meaningless collecting.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 pm
ah, then i guess beat all the bosses including the hidden ones in adventure mode. maybe run through the challenges  

Xilo The Odd

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:43 pm
-Animal Crossing
-killer7
-Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (or Colosseum, pretty sure it's basically the same deal)
-DK bongo games
-Sonic Gems Collection (though that's mostly for Sonic R and I imagine you don't really care for it razz )

Super Mario Sunshine and Double Dash!! are most likely musts for GCN, though I didn't have 'em.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:15 am
Jaycorn
-Animal Crossing
-killer7
-DK bongo games

I've been considering picking up all of these.

As for animal Crossing, and I suppose the same goes for Harvest Moon, I don't really care for life simulators. Maybe when I was younger, but I don't think I'd get much of a kick out of them now. Perhaps if I could play one socially, but for that there's always the 3DS version.

A Used Copy of Thousand Year Door is 15 bucks. I think I'll go for it.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:50 pm
If you happen to see any of these, they're definitely worth picking up.

Chibi-Robo!
Kirby Air Ride
Timesplitters 2
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Viewtiful Joe  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 pm
ah yeah air ride was one of the few i wish i coulda played as well. oh well heres hopin a 3DS version comes out.  

Xilo The Odd

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:00 am
When I turned the game off last night I'd just reached the forsaken fortress for the second time. I am sticking to what I said about this game having aged gracefully.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:15 pm
Super Monkey Ball 2 + drinking = Super Drunky Ball!!!  

Hobo Scruffy

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:11 pm
It's taking me more than a week to beat this, but I'm not going very fast.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff