Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Trying to rediscover faith Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:58 am
Lately, I've been really angry at myself in that I feel lost spiritually and psychologically right now I'm trying figure out why. Because I've been talking to my therapist about my faith and I said Catholic but my mind said in name only. Which is true I only go to church at Christmas and Easter; I feel discouraged by my friends and my priest because I've told them I'm going to transition to male (Former Catholic school girl) I mean I still believe in God, Jesus, and the Pope etc. and it will always be a part of my spiritual heart but I also, like the idea of evolutionism and a huge part of me wants to explore Buddhism and Native American spirituality.

I told my friend that I want to be a religion/theatre major when I go to college and she laughed right in my face! >xd

Maybe, it's because I told her I am a pansexual transgender/ big star wars fan
What do you think of that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 pm
You're a star wars fan?! You're automatically a cool person, and I think you've already found your religion. Sith or Jedi? Catholicism is so last year!  

iANBU_Kitty

Dapper Lunatic

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 pm
Akita Alamore
You're a star wars fan?! You're automatically a cool person, and I think you've already found your religion. Sith or Jedi? Catholicism is so last year!

Jedi but Sith when I was younger ...lol
My uncle took my Darth Vader lightsaber when he moved out a couple weeks ago. >_<  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 pm
Masked_Ven
Akita Alamore

My uncle took my Darth Vader lightsaber when he moved out a couple weeks ago. >_<

I have a Darth Vader Build a Bear, and I recently bought my girlfriend a Jedi build a bear on our first date. I'd more so operate as a Jedi based on my personality, but I like how the Sith are run as well.

On a serious note, I'm not sure what to tell you about Catholicism. I used to go to a Pentecostal church from the age of 5(I'm 24), and I no longer go. I believe in something higher than me, but my opinions have change so much since I was five hears old. All the different factions of Christianity come across to ME as a "pick and choose" type of religion. As I grow older and wiser, my mind become more open to new ideas and lifestyles. The bible, which I'm pretty sure most of the factions of Christianity abide by preaches LOVE above all else.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trust, always hopes, always perserveres. Love never fails."

I've found that churches, or at least my own, could not follow this very simple verse when it came to different life styles. I'm put off by this idea. I've not lost my faith in a higher power, but my faith in the humans who twist those words to their liking. Its lately become much more important to me that others accept such lifestyles. Even though I am straight, my girlfriend is a pansexual transgender like yourself. She has an amazing personality. Every moment we spend together, I grow more confused as to why someone could hate her for what she is, when who she is seems far more relevant. Religion has a big hand in labeling her as a horrible person, and that is not something I support.  

iANBU_Kitty

Dapper Lunatic

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500

xXbelovedXxx

Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:33 pm
Masked_Ven
Akita Alamore

lol I just bought my bf a darth vader bag....
anyways I found that I have the same kind of problem. I believe in God but I find that I disagree with a lot of churches and some of the things they teach... especially anti gay, discrimination, and the overall non acceptance of people's beliefs and ideas.

What I've done is basically separated myself from the church and teach myself about Christianity rather than a biased group of people. That way I can research other people's opinions. Besides, the bible has been translated 100s of times. Who says one translation is right and one's wrong?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm
Masked_Ven
Lately, I've been really angry at myself in that I feel lost spiritually and psychologically right now I'm trying figure out why. Because I've been talking to my therapist about my faith and I said Catholic but my mind said in name only. Which is true I only go to church at Christmas and Easter; I feel discouraged by my friends and my priest because I've told them I'm going to transition to male (Former Catholic school girl) I mean I still believe in God, Jesus, and the Pope etc. and it will always be a part of my spiritual heart but I also, like the idea of evolutionism and a huge part of me wants to explore Buddhism and Native American spirituality.

I told my friend that I want to be a religion/theatre major when I go to college and she laughed right in my face! >xd

Maybe, it's because I told her I am a pansexual transgender/ big star wars fan
What do you think of that?

I haven't gone to church since December, not counting Christmas where I was forced to go. I used to question my faith constantly even when I was little. When I fully accepted I was bisexual just made things worse. I questioned alot of what the church said. I believe in God, I believe Jesus Christ is my savior, and I believe in Heaven and Hell. But in the end, people have to see, the bible is a man-made book like any other book and it is open to interpritation. I also believe in magic, in the supernatural, in paranormal and have the experiences to back it up even though the bible says its wrong and doesn't exist. My mother says "Just because you have issues, don't take it out on God."

I am not taking it out on God. I am taking it out on the institution that says my way of living is wrong and sinful even though it is filled with love and passion. I love my girlfriend (Unfortunately no nerd gifts yet XD) and I love God but I don't love being persecuted and attacked for my own beliefs. One of our priests even said "You cannot call yourself a catholic if you question and don't fully accept anything." He called more than half of our confirmating class non-catholic right there since we believed in gay rights.  

TheLostAngel-Mika

Rainbow Elder

14,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 pm
I been in a similar discussion about G.L.B.T.Q. and religion. Some people were able to define what their religion means to them therefore combined their sexuality with their religion. Others left their religion but remained spiritual believing in a higher being. Some I've seen stop believing all together. I think you should see what Buddhism can offer you as well as Native American religions.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 am
do what makes you happy. there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn about other faiths, it makes you a more well rounded person and may even bring you closer with god  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Yoseisame

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:11 am
I'm a Methodist (Christian for those who don't know) I personally believe that there are some errors in the bible, diffidently in how it is taught. I was hand copied for so many years that there are multiple mistakes. There is a person mentioned in one of Paul's letters that is actually female, one of the scribes made the name male. I think a lot of things got changed through out the years. And another thing..... God changes some of his rules. He changed his rules about what animals a person can eat in the New Testament. I wonder how many other rules have changed. In the Methodist church, whether or not a church will accept someone like us is up to the pastor. (sometimes the people) My mom is a Methodist pastor and is fine with all of this, it just depends on her church.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:18 am
Organized religion just doesn't make sense to me.

Having Faith simply means believing in something greater than yourself.

Personally, I find that the Buddhists have it right and a lot of their teachings are exceptionally profound and from my own experience, they tend to be the least judgmental of all religious groups.

Religion is like sexuality, don't label yourself if you don't want to, just go on believing what you will because I don't think that any label fits anyone to the T.  

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Visual Brian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:15 am
Buddhism is just trendy today. For whatever reason people see Buddhism as somehow more logical than other religions (primarily Christianity). The truth is is that Buddhism offers nothing that Christianity doesn't. One of the main themes of Buddhism is self-denial; being a Christian (including Catholics) also involves self-denial. Jesus said to pick up our cross and follow him. There's many verses in the Bible advocating that we stay away from sexual promiscuity, alcohol, greed, and pretty much anything a Buddhist would agree is bad. That's just one example that comes off the top of my head. I think you need to ask yourself what attracts you to Buddhism and see if Jesus doesn't offer the same thing.

Believing in evolution isn't a problem and you don't have to compromise your faith to do it. The Church is widely torn apart about the beginnings of humanity. I know there are many resources available that help reconcile the Bible and evolution (and sometimes just faith and evolution). A quick Google search aught to do it! :'D

I think it would be in your best interest to rediscover Christianity. Culture has turned Christianity into something it's not. Christianity is just as spiritual as any other religion. Our morals are just - if not higher - than any other religion's. Keep your mind open to change, but don't open it so wide that your brains fall out! Pray that His will be done. 3nodding

TheLostAngel-Mika
I also believe in magic, in the supernatural, in paranormal and have the experiences to back it up even though the bible says its wrong and doesn't exist

The Bible confirms the existence of witchcraft and condemns it actually. (:  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:11 am
Visual Brian
Buddhism is just trendy today. For whatever reason people see Buddhism as somehow more logical than other religions (primarily Christianity). The truth is is that Buddhism offers nothing that Christianity doesn't. One of the main themes of Buddhism is self-denial; being a Christian (including Catholics) also involves self-denial. Jesus said to pick up our cross and follow him. There's many verses in the Bible advocating that we stay away from sexual promiscuity, alcohol, greed, and pretty much anything a Buddhist would agree is bad. That's just one example that comes off the top of my head. I think you need to ask yourself what attracts you to Buddhism and see if Jesus doesn't offer the same thing.

Believing in evolution isn't a problem and you don't have to compromise your faith to do it. The Church is widely torn apart about the beginnings of humanity. I know there are many resources available that help reconcile the Bible and evolution (and sometimes just faith and evolution). A quick Google search aught to do it! :'D

I think it would be in your best interest to rediscover Christianity. Culture has turned Christianity into something it's not. Christianity is just as spiritual as any other religion. Our morals are just - if not higher - than any other religion's. Keep your mind open to change, but don't open it so wide that your brains fall out! Pray that His will be done. 3nodding

TheLostAngel-Mika
I also believe in magic, in the supernatural, in paranormal and have the experiences to back it up even though the bible says its wrong and doesn't exist

i think nearly all religions offer the same thing, inner peace, if you choose to have faith in it and not blindly follow what a book or a few people tell you to do. i think one of the major issues with larger religions is that people will just do what their book or leader says and not try to understand why they say those thing it first  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 am
Visual Brian

TheLostAngel-Mika

Trendy? Hardly.

All religions carry similar aspects especially in terms of morality and ethical judgments.

Personally I feel that the draw to Buddhism strays from the traditional path of "spread Jesus" and suggesting that others conform to said religions. In my view, Buddhism is one of the least judgmental and prejudiced especially in their views of alternative lifestyles. Buddhists focus more on the need to change the individual rather than change the masses. One of their greatest concepts is "If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change" and that ideal is hardly limited to science.

I understand, however, that Christianity and Catholicism and whatever else, for the most part, share those same ideals and that more recently such religions have "modernized" their views. I feel as though I can speak for many others in saying that one of the most off-putting aspects of Christianity and Catholicism would be the more individualized strict interpretations of the Bible. although I know that the majority of people take the Bible's teachings with a grain of salt.

In many ways, larger religions have become increasingly political, I mean look at the Pope in recent news, speaking out against the legalization of homosexual marriage and continuing to demean LGBT and alternative lifestyles.

I don't think this is an issue of WHICH religion to devote one's self to but rather how to incorporate teachings of each instead.

Masked_Ven, don't feel as though you have to choose one or the other in terms of which religion, which is something I believe you've hinted to as not intending, rather see what fits and applies to your life and take those principals in. Myself, I incorporate Buddhist teachings with those of Christianity, Judaism, and even Islam. Just find what works for you and don't worry about having to devote yourself to a specific religion, devote yourself to their ideals instead.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 pm
Visual Brian

TheLostAngel-Mika

Well as Ive told others, the bible was made by men who heard voices. Schizo anyone?  

TheLostAngel-Mika

Rainbow Elder

14,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Delusional Princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:44 pm
Be honest with your therapist. They're there to help you can they can't know how if you won't tell them what is worrying you.

I do not think you should worry about what others think. Exploration is healthy and a part of maturation. Whatever you decide fits your faith, your faith will be all the stronger for it. Having an "abnormal" sexuality does not mean you have to relinquish your relationship with your faith either. Do what feels right to you.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff