Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Sinner's Sentiments - Polls and Wild Nonsense

Back to Guilds

A small but growing guild. We're close knit, friendly, literate, and we have polls on every topic. 

Tags: General Discussion, Literate, Awesome, Friendly, Polls 

Reply a** - PAWN
Driving Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you have any worries when you first started driving?
  Of course! I was TOTALLY freaked out!!!!
  Psh, naw. I'm as cool as a cucumber when it comes to this kind of thing!
  A little bit, but I wasn't overly anxious about it.
View Results

Orgasmic Bananas

Bashful Browser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:31 am
I'm finally learning how to drive! I'm excited, but a little bit nervous about the whole ordeal. Granted, I've still got a year until I can take my learners, so I'm just practicing early on. Anything unusual I should know about driving? Tips/tricks to staying calm on the road?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 pm
My parents pretty much literally had to force me to drive. I hated it, I still hate it. LOATH IT.

With that being said, it's not that hard. And it's really not that hard to stay calm, either, unless it's one of your first times. wink

Passengers that think they know how to drive better than you do (parents, instructors, etc.) are really the biggest threat to your calmness.
That being said: LISTEN TO THEM. They've been driving longer than you have. I can't count the number of people who slide out on icy roads because they wouldn't listen to advice on slowing down. smile  

H3lblad3

Amorous Flatterer

13,400 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Sinacious
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:06 pm
I actually really enjoy driving. It's a very quiet and peaceful experience to me when I'm driving alone. Just turn on some good tunes and relax.

i'll actually be learning to drive stick soon. Definitely nervous about that since it's a lot different from automatic, but people always tell me that I'll like it better.

Some tips I have:
-Pay attention to the road at all times. (duh)
-If you're like me you might get nervous about holding people up on the road, don't let that bother you. You're new to driving and it's important for you to take your time.
-Drive safely! Like I mentioned before, taking your time can be important. Don't let anyone rush you into crossing a street if you don't feel comfortable doing so.
-Never blast your music. I once did this and an ambulance was in the other lane and I had no idea. I almost pulled out in front of them and they blared the horn...boy was I embarrassed.
-Do NOT text and drive. So many people do this and it makes me so nervous. NOTHING is safe about this.
-If you have friends with you, make sure to ask them not to do anything to distract you from driving.

All I can think of at the moment! As time goes on you'll get more comfortable with doing it so you know what distractions you can deal with and which ones you can't so be sure to be cautious about those.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Also, at night it's easy, sometimes, to misjudge distances.

I almost got hit because I thought a car was further away than it really was.
Driver was ticked, followed me down the road, side-by-side, to scream at me.
Was not fun. gonk  

H3lblad3

Amorous Flatterer

13,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Sinacious
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:48 pm
H3lblad3
Also, at night it's easy, sometimes, to misjudge distances.

I almost got hit because I thought a car was further away than it really was.
Driver was ticked, followed me down the road, side-by-side, to scream at me.
Was not fun. gonk

Was it a semi truck? emotion_awesome  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:03 pm
NO! gonk

YOU'RE A SEMI TRUCK! scream
DUN DUN DUUUUUN!  

H3lblad3

Amorous Flatterer

13,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Orgasmic Bananas

Bashful Browser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:29 pm
Hahaha. I definately appreciate the tips! I can proudly say we got back home in one piece, and, apparently I did pretty well for a beginner emotion_dealwithit Though our van's breaks are a little touchy...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 pm
H3lblad3
NO! gonk

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!

And I'm coming for your a*****e. emotion_awesome

I actually prefer my brakes to be a little touchy so I don't have to worry about slamming on the bitches for them to work. x3

Sinacious
Captain

H3lblad3

Amorous Flatterer

13,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:31 pm
Sinacious
H3lblad3
NO! gonk

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!

And I'm coming for your a*****e. emotion_awesome

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! gonk gonk gonk
MINE.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:13 am
I was fine driving my instructors car but my car tries to kill me every time I drive it.

Note:
DO NOT LET PARENTS CHOOSE CAR!!!!!

Results in horrid breakdowns of the scariest road down here and breaking down not once, not twice but 4 times on the same journey...ringing Dad saying "my car is trying to kill me" and the responce...."no it's not, just drive to the garage"....20miles away at 20-40 mph on a 70mph road...  

Sophie_The_Kitty

9,350 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Chicken Soft Taco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:24 am

If someone's lights are too bright for you to see at night, shift your vision to the white line on the passenger's side of the road until they pass. Learned that from my insurance agent when I first got my license haha.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 am
Chicken Soft Taco

If someone's lights are too bright for you to see at night, shift your vision to the white line on the passenger's side of the road until they pass. Learned that from my insurance agent when I first got my license haha.

Turn your lights down when someone else is oncoming.
If they don't turn theirs down, flash your lights onto brights and then back off.

Generally, they'll tone the lights down so you can see.

My father complains that people USED TO turn the lights down when passing others as a common courtesy, now you have to flash your lights at them constantly instead of just the ones that forget.

@Sophie_The_Kitty:
My father has a habit of buying cheap vehicles. This almost always results in a vehicle that breaks down immediately after we get it home. I keep telling him that you buy for quality, apparently he has trouble with the concept. sad  

H3lblad3

Amorous Flatterer

13,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Chicken Soft Taco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:18 pm
H3lblad3
Chicken Soft Taco

Turn your lights down when someone else is oncoming.
If they don't turn theirs down, flash your lights onto brights and then back off.

Generally, they'll tone the lights down so you can see.

My father complains that people USED TO turn the lights down when passing others as a common courtesy, now you have to flash your lights at them constantly instead of just the ones that forget.

@Sophie_The_Kitty:
My father has a habit of buying cheap vehicles. This almost always results in a vehicle that breaks down immediately after we get it home. I keep telling him that you buy for quality, apparently he has trouble with the concept. sad

Right but nowadays there are some lights (LEDs) that are unbelievably blinding even dimmed. And I will flash a person if they refuse to dim their lights.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:44 pm
I waited several years (despite having been the legal age) to start driving. The idea absolutely horrified me & I suppose for good reason. I got into a huge crash the day before my driver's exam. But, I've been on the road for two years now and haven't had any further problems. My college is an eight and a half hour drive from home, so that definitely gave me all the time I needed to practice (as I've been back and forth more times than I can count). I think the biggest piece of advice I can give is: don't be too defensive of a driver & seat belts.
wink

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

H3lblad3

Amorous Flatterer

13,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:00 pm
salomania
seat belts.
wink

This is important. Seat belts are DANGEROUS. People who wear seat belts feel safer and often drive more reckless because of it. It increases the rate of harmful damage in road accidents because of this.

Always drive safe for conditions.
And don't assume that your seat belt will save your life.
If you start pushing the limits because "Oh, well, my seat belt will save me", you could hurt yourself.

Okay, Bananas?  
a** - PAWN

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces