Back to Guilds

Tags: TARDIS, Doctor, Cybermen, Gallifrey, Dalek 

Reply The T.A.R.D.I.S.
The Girl Who Waited Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What did you think of this week's episode?
  Astounding.
  Pretty good.
  Meh. It was alright.
  Pretty bad.
  Horrible.
View Results

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:44 pm
New week, new Who! What the verdict this time around?

I'm actually still crying a bit at this one. This is probably now my second favorite episode, right after "The Doctor's Wife." I absolutely adored Rory in this, and seeing Amy so old and bitter gave me chills. I've never been a huge fan of Amy in general, but Karen Gillan just knocked it out of the park this time around. I loved the whole concept of the episode, and this is one of those rare times when I really wanted to punch the Doctor. Seriously.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the Two Streams facility itself? Was it really a kindness, or just some twisted system of timeline manipulations?

What did you guys think? Did anyone else cry, or am I just a total sap? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:44 pm
I thought, if you were a native, it could be a kindness, although, it would have been kinder if other natives were allowed to be in the same timestream as you. So, you wouldn't be alone. Cause, yeah all the stuff in there sounded great... But it was still solitary.

And don't worry, I was crying, too. lol You're not alone in the sappiness!  

Zee Zee Top

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Still confused about the two-stream system. From what I gathered, time was sped up, or at least the perception of time, in the red waterfall, so that the people who had the 24-hour virus could live out their 24 hours as if they were a lifetime. But how come Rory didn't happen upon Amy when he pushed the red waterfall button to open the door in the early part of the episode?

I didn't cry, but I was mad at the Doctor, especially when he said to Rory, "That's not how I travel." Admitting recklessness when his recklessness ruined someone's (Amy's) life. But I guess that's what Amy and Rory signed up for when they decided to travel in the TARDIS.

I think Rory has become my favorite companion. He's the only one of those that I have known that isn't reckless, head-strong, feisty, or otherwise the kind the Doctor collects. He's more like an ordinary person. I mean, come on, if you and I were in the companions positions in real life, we'd be more likely to react as Rory does than as the others do. And I'd rather have his steadfast loyalty and gentle fortitude than anything else. I miss those kinds of characters in Doctor Who.

Karen Gillian's performance was very good. Amy's casual attitude to serious things like time travel tends to annoy me, but her suffering opened me up to her.

As usual in Doctor Who, it brings up open-ended questions of morality and quality of life. Like Zee Zee Top said, even if you could make your twenty-four hours left of life last a lifetime, a so-called kindness, would it really be worth it to be absolutely alone? It sounds like the kindness is for the loved ones of the ill, not the ill themselves, making it no kindness at all, but a selfishness.

Also, I wonder what happened to the future Amy that the future Amy saw in the magnifying glass after she refused to help the past Amy get back to the TARDIS. Did she join Rory and the Doctor or get killed in the end? Hypothetical!

Definitely an ace episode.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 pm
Rory has always been one of my most favorite companions because he's such a dork but he has a pure heart. It fell apart when I saw his face as he unlocked the door and older-Amy told him not to. I cried like a sap as well. I wanted to jump into the screen and hold Rory and tell him everything will be al right and that he is such a brave man D:

skylitdesire

Dapper Heckler

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 am
GreenInkling
Still confused about the two-stream system. From what I gathered, time was sped up, or at least the perception of time, in the red waterfall, so that the people who had the 24-hour virus could live out their 24 hours as if they were a lifetime. But how come Rory didn't happen upon Amy when he pushed the red waterfall button to open the door in the early part of the episode?

Rory didn't find Amy because Red Waterfall was split into thousands of different timestreams, ones that the Doctor showed him through that glass right before he found older Amy. She had already gone into a solitary timestream, one in which Rory couldn't enter until the TARDIS broke into it. I guess the Green Anchor must have been for the families and friends of the sick. That's the impression I got, at least.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:28 am
It was touching.
The makeup artists were really good on this one, making Amy look in her 60's (thats if she was 20ish)

yeah, Rory should have said WHICH button to push, instead of just push a button, i mean, that was just stupid.  

kalenakeeper

18,350 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Generous 100

Twisted Time Lord

Feral Rogue

23,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 pm
I think the facility is a danger to anyone who doesn't know what they are walking into, I think everyone including Amy and Rory wanted to punch the doctor in this episode, lieing to the older Amy just to get her help was wrong and for him to say she doesn't exist when she does just to try and get Rory to leave her there was horrible, while it is true that she could not be allowed to exist with the younger Amy there his lack of respect for the older Amy just because she's not the version of her that they came to save has caused me to dislike this new doctors outlook on everything a great deal.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 pm
So sad... crying  

shappyshap

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:53 pm
Miss Marinara Sauce
GreenInkling

Rory didn't find Amy because Red Waterfall was split into thousands of different timestreams, ones that the Doctor showed him through that glass right before he found older Amy. She had already gone into a solitary timestream, one in which Rory couldn't enter until the TARDIS broke into it. I guess the Green Anchor must have been for the families and friends of the sick. That's the impression I got, at least.

Oh, I remember that part. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:55 pm
Rikku Hajime
I think the facility is a danger to anyone who doesn't know what they are walking into, I think everyone including Amy and Rory wanted to punch the doctor in this episode, lieing to the older Amy just to get her help was wrong and for him to say she doesn't exist when she does just to try and get Rory to leave her there was horrible, while it is true that she could not be allowed to exist with the younger Amy there his lack of respect for the older Amy just because she's not the version of her that they came to save has caused me to dislike this new doctors outlook on everything a great deal.

I forgot about that. Saying that she doesn't exist is really hurtful. Poor (older) Amy. How would you feel if your supposed-friend said that about you?

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:59 pm
skylitdesire
Rory has always been one of my most favorite companions because he's such a dork but he has a pure heart. It fell apart when I saw his face as he unlocked the door and older-Amy told him not to. I cried like a sap as well. I wanted to jump into the screen and hold Rory and tell him everything will be al right and that he is such a brave man D:

In some ways, I think Rory is a better man than the Doctor.

Which leads me back to someone's conjecture that maybe it is Rory River kills. When the Doctor asks who she kills, she says, "A good man; the best man I know." emotion_kirakira

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:38 pm
I cried like a little girl. I think that, when the 11th doctor does regenerate, he will has a 10-style choice between regenerating or letting someone die. Ultimately he would choose to regen, partly because he does not like what he's become and needs to start fresh. Just my thoughts  

Amadeus McNinja

Twisted Time Lord

Feral Rogue

23,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:21 pm
GreenInkling
Rikku Hajime

I forgot about that. Saying that she doesn't exist is really hurtful. Poor (older) Amy. How would you feel if your supposed-friend said that about you?

The thing that irks me about that is that he assumes that just cause they aren't going to save her and she won't exist it's okay to be mean and hurtful to her and not treat her like another human being cause she won't know it happened when she's gone. this new Doctor is very lacking in morals if you ask me.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm
Rikku Hajime
GreenInkling
Rikku Hajime

The thing that irks me about that is that he assumes that just cause they aren't going to save her and she won't exist it's okay to be mean and hurtful to her and not treat her like another human being cause she won't know it happened when she's gone. this new Doctor is very lacking in morals if you ask me.

I definitely feel like he's darker than the last Doctor. Especially after seeing "A Good Man Goes to War" and hearing River's speech. 3nodding

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:10 pm
Amadeus McNinja
I cried like a little girl. I think that, when the 11th doctor does regenerate, he will has a 10-style choice between regenerating or letting someone die. Ultimately he would choose to regen, partly because he does not like what he's become and needs to start fresh. Just my thoughts

Good conjecture. They've certainly built that up with the whole "Doctor means warrior" storyline.

The T.A.R.D.I.S.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff