Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Wow, you're so gay... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:57 am
So this has been bothering me for a while.
When I was walking from the union at my college with my roommate and his friends and there was a double rainbow in the sky.
I looked up and it was the most beautiful thing I have seen in a while since being up at college and then I said, "Wow, look at that rainbow. It is so beautiful."
My roommate's friends I had been walking with (Two of them) each said one after the other. "Wow, you're so gay..." "Yea, don't be such a f*****t."
It literally made me almost start crying and my roommate told them both to stfu.

So anyway.
I just don't understand why this would even happen.
Because it was a rainbow?
Or because I thought it was beautiful?

What do you guys think about this?
**Edit: Thank you everyone so much for all of your words, it really helped me a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:39 am
no offense to you or anything, but if someone says your so gay becasue you think a rainbow looks pretty and it makes you start crying i think you may need to grow tougher skin.

what that person said was mean and they shouldnt have said that, but that was a very tame situation

once again, i mean no offense to you and im not trying to be mean. but if such a tame situation upsets you that much how will you get on in the real world if your friend isnt there all the time?  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 am
I have to agree with Shanna66. They're idiots to think that a natural occurance is gay.

However, I think it is fair if you feel that a rainbow connects to something that has happened to you or so on. For example, when my step-aunt died, I was incredibly depressed. Mainly because I didn't get a chance to know her very well, and I had no idea she was sick. My mother, when she went to see her for the last time, just said she was going to see her, and she didn't say she was sick. If she did, I would've went, and tried to catch up. And on the day she died, a rainbow appeared in the sky, letting us know that she was no longer suffering, and that if there was a heaven, she would be asking God to send the rainbow out and let us know she was okay.

With that sort of thing, yes, I think it is fair to cry over it. But if it's just a general regard of a rainbow, then you should just laugh at their stupidity. Don't give them your tears.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:31 am
Well if ou are chistian isnt a rainbow the symbol of gods promise to never flood the earth again 0-o  

-kakashiandyaoi-

Sweet Man-Lover

Gordums

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
Don't let their hate speech upset you - they speak from an ignorant and priviliged point of view.
But also, don't let them get awya with it. You need to stand up and tlel them their language is offensive and inappropriate.

I am assuming these people are heterosexual and if they are, they sit from a priviliged view where they are allowed to flaunt their sexuality without being marginalized. If they have an issue with your sexuality or gender or their own, they they need to work on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:40 am
So??? YOU ARE GAY.
My boyfriend and my friends tell me soemtimes "dude, that is so gay."
and I reply "Yeah I know hahahaha" or "But I am gay LOL"
but don't let them disrespect you, if they call you a f*****t to offend you, maybe it's time you start standing up to them.  

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:22 pm
Shanna66
no offense to you or anything, but if someone says your so gay becasue you think a rainbow looks pretty and it makes you start crying i think you may need to grow tougher skin.

what that person said was mean and they shouldnt have said that, but that was a very tame situation

once again, i mean no offense to you and im not trying to be mean. but if such a tame situation upsets you that much how will you get on in the real world if your friend isnt there all the time?

No, yea I understand and believe me I have toughened myself as much as I can. It wasn't the "Wow, you are so gay." part, but I cannot handle the word f*****t. It never fails to rip me down.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:26 pm
She Promised You Cookies
I have to agree with Shanna66. They're idiots to think that a natural occurance is gay.

However, I think it is fair if you feel that a rainbow connects to something that has happened to you or so on. For example, when my step-aunt died, I was incredibly depressed. Mainly because I didn't get a chance to know her very well, and I had no idea she was sick. My mother, when she went to see her for the last time, just said she was going to see her, and she didn't say she was sick. If she did, I would've went, and tried to catch up. And on the day she died, a rainbow appeared in the sky, letting us know that she was no longer suffering, and that if there was a heaven, she would be asking God to send the rainbow out and let us know she was okay.

With that sort of thing, yes, I think it is fair to cry over it. But if it's just a general regard of a rainbow, then you should just laugh at their stupidity. Don't give them your tears.

Thanks, your comment helped me quite a bit.
It's different to cry when you are sad, but if someone is to cause that pain, you shouldn't allow it to get to you, because then they have all the control over you?

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 pm
Inyeri the Frozen
Shanna66

No, yea I understand and believe me I have toughened myself as much as I can. It wasn't the "Wow, you are so gay." part, but I cannot handle the word f*****t. It never fails to rip me down.

that i can understand. the work dyke used to upset me quite a bit. took me a couple years and some self hatred but finally got over it for the most part.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:34 pm
Gordums
Don't let their hate speech upset you - they speak from an ignorant and priviliged point of view.
But also, don't let them get awya with it. You need to stand up and tlel them their language is offensive and inappropriate.

I am assuming these people are heterosexual and if they are, they sit from a priviliged view where they are allowed to flaunt their sexuality without being marginalized. If they have an issue with your sexuality or gender or their own, they they need to work on it.

Okay, but how do I stand up to them? Or rather if I do and they get pissed and want to fight me or something, do I continue to fight back?
Also, I think one of them is in the closet. I try to be nice to him as often as I can, he acts normal when we are alone, but when he's around others he feels the need to point out how he thinks some guy sitting across the room looks like he's gay.

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:36 pm
Aw, you seem like a sensitive guy. If I were in your situation, I would be just as offended. If you were in a situation where they wanted a reaction from you, such as expecting you to say "But I'm not gay! I'm not a f*****t! How could you say such a thing?", you should have just said "So...? I am gay...." I think their laughing would have stopped then.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:36 pm
Shanna66
Inyeri the Frozen
Shanna66

that i can understand. the work dyke used to upset me quite a bit. took me a couple years and some self hatred but finally got over it for the most part.

How did you get over it? I know that words only have power if you give them power and words are just that, words. But, I just can't seem to make it harmless to me.  

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:37 pm
-kakashiandyaoi-
Well if ou are chistian isnt a rainbow the symbol of gods promise to never flood the earth again 0-o

Well I'm not Christian, but that is good to know. XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart
Aw, you seem like a sensitive guy. If I were in your situation, I would be just as offended. If you were in a situation where they wanted a reaction from you, such as expecting you to say "But I'm not gay! I'm not a f*****t! How could you say such a thing?", you should have just said "So...? I am gay...." I think their laughing would have stopped then.

Lol yea, I'm kinda sensitive to certain things ninja . I was never one to try and shock someone. I tried it once in high school because I was really pissed off that day. We were in chorus and he was going on about the word gay (Which in context just meant the word happy) and I said, "Yea this song is gay? SO AM I." and then he was just like 'D: Whoa! Wasn't expecting that.'  

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Gordums

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Inyeri the Frozen
Gordums

Okay, but how do I stand up to them? Or rather if I do and they get pissed and want to fight me or something, do I continue to fight back?
Also, I think one of them is in the closet. I try to be nice to him as often as I can, he acts normal when we are alone, but when he's around others he feels the need to point out how he thinks some guy sitting across the room looks like he's gay.

Just talk to them in a friendly manner, and express that you're not trying to belittle them or personally attack them, but just some of the things they say or do are offensive. Talk to them you would another person or friend.
IF you're in college, they won't start a fight. If they do get aggressive, simply tell them you're not looking to fight, you're just letting them know their actions are hateful.
Even if he is in the closet, that's no excuse for him to do that. It actually makes it harder for him to be accepted. You can say to him to not judge other people when they are gay because that perosn may be strugglign with their sexuality or something.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff