Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
why are people so patriotic? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:49 pm
Can someone tell me why, where people can recognize that nationalism was the driving force behind WWI, WWII, Vietnam, and is the driving force behind the ruthless insurgency in Iraq, that every ******** country still thinks it is a great thing to be patriotic. As much as I would like to say it is just America who blindly believes in the superiority of their own country, clearly we all participate in this ignorant farce.

Why do we? And when will we realise that it doesn't matter at all in which specific area you were born, that we are all humans, and intrinsically the same?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:03 pm
If there were a tip function in the guild forums, you'd so be tipped.  

TylerAnnihilate

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:27 pm
Centipedes In Utero
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I don't get it, It's just a country. Why get so worked up over a peice of land.?  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:42 pm
arn't you proud of your country and all it has accomplished?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:01 pm
The Neko CatGirl
aren't you proud of your country and all it has accomplished?

I'm not sure. neutral  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Fanaticism- not patriotism, is the driving force behind that. Nations are the sum of their people, their culture and their history- this holds a lot of meaning because knowing where we come from shapes where we are going.

It would be nice if you'd stop confusing appropriate and inappropriate behavior- I'm sure you can tell the difference between the average person who loves the rights and freedoms this nation affords us and a crazy person who shoots up a room and almost assassinates a senator.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 pm
Esiris
Fanaticism- not patriotism, is the driving force behind that. Nations are the sum of their people, their culture and their history- this holds a lot of meaning because knowing where we come from shapes where we are going.

It would be nice if you'd stop confusing appropriate and inappropriate behavior- I'm sure you can tell the difference between the average person who loves the rights and freedoms this nation affords us and a crazy person who shoots up a room and almost assassinates a senator.

That kinda makes since sweatdrop . I can tell the difference, I just tend to be indifferent towards a lot of things, so this is kinda alien to me. Although, about that whole culture thing,if that's true, then why do Americans have pride in their country? America doesn't have any unique culture.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:32 pm
Shilberu Erikku

I don't think that's good enough reason to be proud of a peice of land.
]
The fact you ignored everything I said and continue to equate Nation with "a piece of land" shows this is a failing on your part to listen and think about what is said- not in the explanation.

Nations are the sum of their parts- their people, their culture, their history- these and more fuse together to be a Nation. The combination of all this stuff is as moving and powerful as a breathtaking piece of art, or as deeply touching as your fondest memory.

Most patriotism isn't based on the geographic boundaries- those are more symbols than anything else. It's the principles that unite the nation- in our case, the freedoms and rights that we were largely founded in search of. The freedoms that you often take such pride in when you post and degrade other people. I guess that means you're a patriot, you just don't acknowledge it because you take all those rights and freedoms for granted. So- a Patriot is someone like you, the only difference is they understand that the things you both like exist here because as a nation we protect them. And they respect that protection, its history and it's legacy.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:36 pm
i love America and im proud of all its accomplishments, but im not really patriotic. hell, if im more patriotic ANY country, it'd be Japan! i love their culture, food, music, anime, games, archaeological records....pretty much everything!  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:04 pm
Esiris
Shilberu Erikku

I don't think that's good enough reason to be proud of a peice of land.
]
The fact you ignored everything I said and continue to equate Nation with "a piece of land" shows this is a failing on your part to listen and think about what is said- not in the explanation.

Nations are the sum of their parts- their people, their culture, their history- these and more fuse together to be a Nation. The combination of all this stuff is as moving and powerful as a breathtaking piece of art, or as deeply touching as your fondest memory.

Most patriotism isn't based on the geographic boundaries- those are more symbols than anything else. It's the principles that unite the nation- in our case, the freedoms and rights that we were largely founded in search of. The freedoms that you often take such pride in when you post and degrade other people. I guess that means you're a patriot, you just don't acknowledge it because you take all those rights and freedoms for granted. So- a Patriot is someone like you, the only difference is they understand that the things you both like exist here because as a nation we protect them. And they respect that protection, its history and it's legacy.

Then what can I do to change?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:11 pm
Wolf of the Western Wind
i love America and im proud of all its accomplishments

why  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:12 pm
Wolf of the Western Wind
i love America and im proud of all its accomplishments, but im not really patriotic. hell, if im more patriotic ANY country, it'd be Japan! i love their culture, food, music, anime, games, archaeological records....pretty much everything!
If only Japan and Korea completely dominated the world blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:04 am
Shilberu Erikku

Then what can I do to change?

That depends on how you want to change- you can start appreciating your freedom and acknowledge your patriotism or you can decide that you're so anti-patriotism that you don't want the rights and freedoms and you could stop using those rights and freedoms by surrendering them.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

GaYnus

Shameless Exhibitionist

9,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:16 am
Patriotism is a load of crap, war is pointless, and politics are pointless.

Saying that you belong to one country or another is just large scale compartmentalization. Compartmentalization causes more problems than it fixes. It causes prejudice based on differences and that leads people to fear other people that are different than them and then that fear fosters hatred. Then all hell breaks loose.

If we spent less time being prideful of our individual countries and more time trying to preserve humanity and the world we live in, then the world might become a better place instead of the declining piece of crap that it is today.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff