Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Teaching Gay History in public schools? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/16/us/16schools.html

Very interesting but controversal
I don't get me wrong I like the idea but it rises a lot of questions in my head.

What about your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:04 am
I think its a great idea. But it needs to be integrated in with the rest of the curiculum. So when students learn about civil rights, as well as Rosa Parkes and Martin Luther King, they need to learn about the Stonewall riots and Lawrence v. Texas.  

PandoraCaitiff

7,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200

Seraph of Thursday

Lonely Saint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:50 am
Errrrr wtf, I don't really approve. I don't see why this is necessary, especially when the fundies will only use it as a weapon in their Gay Agenda Doomsday Theory.
Shouldn't gay individuals and their deeds be included in general history anyway if they did something worth mentioning? It's not like history should be picked from, like "I'm not going to teach kids about this thing and that thing, because I personally don't like cupcakes which are involved in the course of history."  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:45 am
Even I don't care about gay history. neutral

I remember watching the news once and seeing a "gay museum" was being created. I was just like, "Really? A museum."

This should be an elective if anything at all.  

Visual Brian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

HueyfortheLost

Desirable Bookworm

9,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:37 am
I don't think there should be a class for 'gay history'. More or less I think that teaching a separate class for gay history is still segregating gays from the national community. If there is something that any one has done that is worthy of being recorded, be them straight, gay, bi, or lesbian, it should be told in normal history not a complete separate one. So im basically agreeing with Chakatai.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:36 am
They shouldn't teach gay history, they should teach tolerance in all its forms  

BlueberryCondomBomb

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:16 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If they're just incorporating it into the Civil Rights curriculum or whatever, I don't see what the problem is. I assume it would be just a chapter or segment in the textbook, like black history & women history. And it would highlight events like the Stonewall Rebellion and civil rights stuff. I seriously doubt they're going to teach the kiddos about gay sex. rolleyes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:46 am
Maybe as a college class...

But in high/middle school it's probably only worth a mention, like Pandora said, mentioning two or three events is about the same they'd mention about any other subject in history.

Though this should probably only be done after the gay rights movement is over. Otherwise it should only be in a current events class.  

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:57 am
yeaaaah because having our own history class is in no way gonna support the "gays are taking over" theory.

they should just teach how we're born LGBT, it's not a choice and we're human and need to be atleast tolerated.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 pm
I think, if anything, it should be made an elective course.  

Kelai_Caberin

darbear94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:18 pm
i think this is a great freaking idea  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 pm
Two things:
1) Black History would have been controversial at one point.
2) I think go for it! Although I think it should be offered not mandatory, if offered than no one can say it can't be done if it is offered it is an individual choice. Also it would make the class better for those who want to take it.  

airforce_freak6678

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:02 pm
Sarah_L_Awesome
yeaaaah because having our own history class is in no way gonna support the "gays are taking over" theory.

they should just teach how we're born LGBT, it's not a choice and we're human and need to be atleast tolerated.

You make a good point.
^_^

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:10 pm
I think there should be a Gay History Month but not a whole class about gay history. That would be.....weird.  

Uriana and Mretta

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:58 am
we could integrate those lessons into general history, but to make it an actual class would be kinda silly. I mean, would there be enough gay history to cover a whole semester? i LOVE history, but i dont know enough gay history  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff