Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rad Electropow

Invisible Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:23 pm
[url=http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/wii-successor-2012]Game Informer[/url]
Nintendo has officially announced its intention to release a new console in 2012. According to a note published this morning on the company's Japanese investor relations website, "Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011."

The terse announcement does nothing to clear up rumors surrounding the system, which has been linked to high-definition graphics, motion controls and a handheld touch screen. Less trustworthy industry sources have even indicated that the system's rumored codename, "Project Cafe," hints at its ability to shoot a cappuccino directly into your gaping mouth.

According to the investor note (posted after the break), Nintendo plans to show off a playable model of the Wii successor during this year's E3, which takes places in Los Angeles from June 7th.

[url=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx]Game Informer[/url]
Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that it needs to do a better job with its publishing partners at a 3DS press conference in the fall of 2010. "We need to decrease the concern that only Nintendo software can sell well on Nintendo platforms and third-party software cannot sell in the same volume. We feel a need to have closer ties with our third-party developers from the beginning."

"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may imply about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.

We've heard about an HD Wii for some time now, and the time is perfect – almost necessary – for Nintendo to jump start itself with this new system. The company has been feeling the bite since Wii sales have declined from previous years, and this week's news that Nintendo could be dropping the price of the Wii on May 15 could be a precursor to this announcement and an attempt to move as many Wii units as possible out of the retail channel before the new system hits.

We do not have confirmation if this new system will be backward compatible with the Wii or if it will even carry the Wii branding as has often been rumored. It is our understanding that Nintendo is trying to embrace the western gamer and will likely launch a new brand with this console. Around the office we have dubbed the system Nintendo HD. However, this information at this point is conjecture.

We contacted a Nintendo representative regarding this information, and they would only say that "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation."

Either way, it should be an exciting E3 for Nintendo and gamers alike.

[url=http://kotaku.com/#!5792165]Kotaku[/url]
Nintendo's next console will debut at E3 in June, moving the maker of Mario and Zelda into the HD era. The news, first reported by Game Informer today, confirms rumors that have been swirling for months in the wake of slowing game releases from Nintendo.

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 pm
I hope it's actually considerably more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Xbox 360 has very low specs by today's standards, so that shouldn't be hard to beat and keep it affordable. I think it will probably be a bit more powerful than the PS3.  

Super Cheesio

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm
my guess, its gonna have compatability with 3D TVs much like the 3DS. it'd differ tv to tv but could you imagine? the first console set to utilize 3d tv tech.

nintendo has been shootin for stuff like this for the past decade.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm
I know Nintendo will surprise us, but I'd be disappointed if their next console is only slightly more powerful than the PS3. It better usher in the next age of console gaming, otherwise it'll look like it's seven years too late.  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm
Xilo The Odd
my guess, its gonna have compatability with 3D TVs much like the 3DS. it'd differ tv to tv but could you imagine? the first console set to utilize 3d tv tech.

Nintendo would be copying Sony, though since Sony did it first.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:50 pm
I kind of don't really want it to be in 3D. Hopefully it will bring something new to the table, though I can't really imagine what that might be.  

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 pm
3D tvs are way too expensive to be plausible for Nintendo. And before anyone says "well the 3DS is 250," the 3DS is an entire gaming system with wireless capabilities, built in software, etc. A 3D tv is easily more expensive than that and it only does the normal tv stuff (plus it needs glasses).

Long story short: I don't think the console's selling point will be 3D. It may or may not support it, but it won't be the big thing to it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:39 pm
Xilo The Odd

I already can imagine it because it's called the PS3  

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,025 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 am
My conspirator side is amused by this. It all feels like Nintendo has been biding it's time. Think about it, if Nintendo lays waste with the next console..

The competition will be pushed to try and one up it if they are foolish enough to fall for it. Consoles aren't cheap to be powerful and mass produced.

I think this one will be geared a bit more towards the hardcore demographic. Most "casuals" or "new players" will be interested as they will probably be hungry for more games, games that offer more of a challenge then what they've been currently playing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 am
Suppose you all would see this eventually, but I'll link anyway. New controller sounds nifty.  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 pm
There are so many rumors, I don't know what to believe. There were rumors that the Revolution's controller would have a touch screen too, so I'm not going to believe any of this until I have some better information. We got one spark of a rumor from Game Informer and now the internet has just taken it really far.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 pm
Well, I'm excitebike.  

l-Kriel-l

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 pm
Trenn Flashkill
Xilo The Odd

well, sony seems to be okay with copying.

(insert various sony nintendo knockoffs here.)  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 pm
Xilo The Odd
Trenn Flashkill
Xilo The Odd

*pretends like he was not proven wrong*

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:14 am
I don't think the Wii 2 will have 3D... maybe that's just me.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff