Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
The gay penguin defense. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

puella in somnio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:04 am
I am here to rant about a pet peeve and possibly offer some advice to people who debate with the anti-LGBT crowd a lot.

I see this conversation all the time:

"Dem gays is immoral ab-uh-rations! Bein' homosexual ain't natural!"

"It's perfectly natural. Homosexuality has been observed in penguins, monkeys, dolphins, etc. etc. etc...."

Every time I see this, I cringe, because you see Blue there? Blue's argument has derailed, because Blue accepted a false premise, this premise being that unnatural is a bad thing. Or that it really needs to be proven that homosexuality is a natural occurrence in the first place.

The gay penguin defense is a double-edged blade. What's good for animals isn't always good for humans. I don't think I need to get into the gritty details. We've all watched Animal Planet or something at some point.

Back to "unnatural."

When someone uses that word, call them out on it. Ask them why something being unnatural is inherently immoral, for one thing. Start prodding them about their definition of "natural--" chances are, it's not "the way things are," it's "the way I think things should be." Beat them over the head with the indisputable fact that LGBT people exist, and are, in fact, natural beings, born of flesh and blood just like anyone else. Gay penguins are adorable, but they often prove nothing.

That is my rant. I hope it makes sense and is not just 3 AM crazies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 am
laughing pixie
I am here to rant about a pet peeve and possibly offer some advice to people who debate with the anti-LGBT crowd a lot.

I see this conversation all the time:

"Dem gays is immoral ab-uh-rations! Bein' homosexual ain't natural!"

"It's perfectly natural. Homosexuality has been observed in penguins, monkeys, dolphins, etc. etc. etc...."

Every time I see this, I cringe, because you see Blue there? Blue's argument has derailed, because Blue accepted a false premise, this premise being that unnatural is a bad thing. Or that it really needs to be proven that homosexuality is a natural occurrence in the first place.

The gay penguin defense is a double-edged blade. What's good for animals isn't always good for humans. I don't think I need to get into the gritty details. We've all watched Animal Planet or something at some point.

Back to "unnatural."

When someone uses that word, call them out on it. Ask them why something being unnatural is inherently immoral, for one thing. Start prodding them about their definition of "natural--" chances are, it's not "the way things are," it's "the way I think things should be." Beat them over the head with the indisputable fact that LGBT people exist, and are, in fact, natural beings, born of flesh and blood just like anyone else. Gay penguins are adorable, but they often prove nothing.

That is my rant. I hope it makes sense and is not just 3 AM crazies.

It's sounds quite reasonable, and I think I might start using that defence XD  

longinus212

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 am
im not sure if animals can actually be homosexual or will just mate with their same sex. i know that some animals will mate with their same sex if there is no one of the opposite sex nearby but they will also mate with the opposite sex.

i personally have never heard of an animal that will only mate with its same sex, snails and gender changing animals dont count.

but of course homosexuality is natural, we as humans are a naturaly occuring animal on this planet and we can be homosexual, thus natural  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:35 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I don't use that arguement. Here's what my arguement is.

Some guy: HOMOSEXUALITY IS UNNATURAL!
Me: You know what? Clothes are unnatural. So if you only go by what's "natural", then take them off.

(Brushes by Obsidian Dawn)

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100

Denkou Soshiatae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:44 pm
Shanna66
im not sure if animals can actually be homosexual or will just mate with their same sex. i know that some animals will mate with their same sex if there is no one of the opposite sex nearby but they will also mate with the opposite sex.

i personally have never heard of an animal that will only mate with its same sex, snails and gender changing animals dont count.

but of course homosexuality is natural, we as humans are a naturaly occuring animal on this planet and we can be homosexual, thus natural

Many animals who mate for life (monkeys, dolphins, etc) have been proven to choose same-sex partners for life. I think maybe some Mouring Doves too, but I'm not sure.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:56 pm
She Promised You Cookies

Me: You know what? Clothes are unnatural. So if you only go by what's "natural", then take them off.

Yes, yes. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.  

Vesta the Jager

2,800 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 am
I think you're being stupid and just looking for an excuse to b***h,  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:00 am
Insatiable Lust

WHOA. That was uncalled for.
I do believe the guild was created so that we can discuss things openly without this kind of criticism. Even if you disagree with her, that still gives you no right to call her names.

Okay, on the subject, I never thought that using the animals argument would backfire like that. Then again, no one that narrow-minded would really want to emulate animal behavior. Its still hard to convince others that what may not be natural is still okay. Like hair dye. Everyone loves hair dye.

Ayame_Rikimayu

Not British Just Gay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:53 am
Rape is natural. So is necrophilia and infanticide. Let's not look to the animal world for advice on sexual conduct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexual_behaviour

Coincidentally, I was just reading about traumatic insemination in bedbugs last night. Apparently when food becomes scarce male bedbugs have been known to mimic females so that other males will attempt to inseminate them, because they are able to digest the sperm that's forcibly injected into their carapace.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:29 am
She Promised You Cookies

LOL, win.

eat more happy

Friendly Elocutionist

8,525 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

eat more happy

Friendly Elocutionist

8,525 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 am
Personally, I don't argue back. I just laugh, unless they were genuinely curious and weren't intending to upset me, then I'd talk to them telling them what I know of sexuality and biology and all the like.
blaugh

Yay for being knowledgeable.
P.S: Humans are not any less or greater than an animal. Every species has its upside and it's downfall. Obviously we're greater in many ways, but we've got our flaws.

The nature of things also changes with perspective, so what may be natural to you could obviously be unnatural to me, vice versa.

I just say live and let live, and focus on those who genuinely care or wish to understand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:10 am
Not British Just Gay
Rape is natural. So is necrophilia and infanticide. Let's not look to the animal world for advice on sexual conduct.

Coincidentally, I was just reading about traumatic insemination in bedbugs last night. Apparently when food becomes scarce male bedbugs have been known to mimic females so that other males will attempt to inseminate them, because they are able to digest the sperm that's forcibly injected into their carapace.

thats gross. also i didnt know that. bed bugs, who knew?
i lol'd at "forcibly injected"...  

HARD N THROBBING INCUBUS

Aged Regular

Deleteasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:20 am
Not British Just Gay

I've read about the bedbugs before. I find it somewhat amusing.

But on subject, a lot of things Homo sapiens do could be considered "unnatural" by some standards. Clothes, computers, television, these things aren't found in nature. Since homosexuality obviously appears in nature, then it is natural. However, as Not British Just Gay pointed out, rape, necrophilia, and infanticide are also things that occur in nature.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am
Denkou Soshiatae
Shanna66

Many animals who mate for life (monkeys, dolphins, etc) have been proven to choose same-sex partners for life. I think maybe some Mouring Doves too, but I'm not sure.

do dolphins really mate for life? i thought they got different partners each time  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

puella in somnio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:59 pm
Insatiable Lust

Well! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Have a nap and see if you don't feel better.

Not British Just Gay

Obligatory ewwwww at bedbugs.

I read somewhere (I think it was Cracked... XD) that ducks have crazy genitals because a large percentage of duck sex is rape. Ducks! Raping! We read Little Golden Books about ducks when we were kids! The animal world is ******** up, man!

She Promised You Cookies

Pppppft. XD Nothin' says "natural" like shivering in your birthday suit!

I notice a lot of people are bringing up all the "unnatural" things we use every day. I probably should have mentioned that. I mean, you can take the "do what is natural" argument SO FAR. I could tell people that if they have a disease, they need to just die because medical treatment is unnatural.

I'm alive and making this post right now because of medicine that someone came up with in a lab. *shrug*

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff