Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:17 pm
MEL

The lion breathed in deeply. It was the smell of home, after moons of travel. Not that he had disliked the adventure. And of course the herbs he'd returned with were priceless. But there was simply nothing as calming as returning to a place that smelled right. He could feel his body dropping the wary pose he'd worn for so long as they entered the lands of Kitwana'Antara.

He ventured a glance over at his companion. The lioness didn't usually speak, but he'd grown fairly good at reading her silences as they traveled together. She looked much more relaxed than he could recall seeing her before, but still on her guard.

"You know, we're home now. There's no more need to be ready for a fight," he tried to point out in a reasonable tone. "Besides, you might scare any kids we see."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm
SASKIRANEL

Home at last. It was good to finally return. She hadn't wanted to leave the pride, especially not after the disaster so recently weathered, but when Queen Nawiri had granted the Apothecary permission to go abroad hunting plants, someone had had to go with him. And that duty had fallen to her, as one of the few immune among the remaining Guards. Try as she might, the lioness couldn't argue against fulfilling her duty to her pride in this way.

And there was the fact that Mel's herbs weren't just for those stricken by the plague, but for any who needed healing. She'd even had some used on her, during their journey, and that experience had erased the last of her scorn for the Apothecary's art.

Her scorn for his work might be gone, but he still talked too much. The lioness sighed and gave in. "Borders are flexible and the pride is still short-handed. We can't be sure of our safety until we reach the heartlands."

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Feral Mule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 am
User Image

Brown eyes stared out at the world with sadness. This pride made her sad. It seemed every time she turned around, someone either died or got the illness spreading at an alarming rate. Her ears lowered when she heard others younger than her coughing and gasping for breath. They weren't going to make it much longer. Yet, she knew she couldn't be sad for everyone. It would kill her, that much sadness. So, Deepali would try to smile and brighten the sick one's days. Just... don't think of them as friends.

It sounded mean, but how else does a juvenile cope with it? She told the sick cubs stories an then left when she was done. She didn't know their names, and honestly, she didn't want too. Her masked face turned toward the boarder and a thought crossed her mind. Then quickly left it.

She'd die out there if she even attempted to leave. The outside world was no place for someone as young as her without parents or an adult there with her. And that would defeat the whole running away aspect of it all, wouldn't it? Shuddering as a sudden chill got into her bones, she walked that way anyway. This was a time she felt that someone was coming home. Like one of the lucky immune with more lions and other breeds to help populate the small pride.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 am
Mel shook his head at his travelling companion. "Honestly, Saskiranel," he complained, "You always think the worst of things." He'd tried, early on, to call her "Sas" the way other guards did, and that was the closest he'd ever come to death before or since. She didn't show it, but that lioness had a bad temper.

The Apothecary decided to look around, any direction so long as it was away from Saskiranel and blinked as he saw a brown form moving towards them. It didn't look like anyone he knew, and it looked a bit small to be an adult anyway.

"Oh! Hi there!" he called out to the newcomer.

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:17 am
The Guard was aware of the approaching lion before her companion and was trying to shut out his constant chatter. It was better, she'd found, to expect the worst. That way, one was usually pleasantly surprised. And on the few occassions that the worst did actually happen, one was prepared.

She thought about snapping at Mel for just calling out randomly to someone neither of them knew. But the juvenile - too small to be adult, too big to be a cub, was coming straight from the direction of the pride's heartlands and didn't look like a young fighter. Thus the young lioness was not much of a threat to Sas or to Mel, who was still technically her charge until they made it all the way back.

All things considered, she might as well let Mel do the talking. He liked to talk anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 am
A voice caught Deepali's attention and she had to look up at it. Two figures in the distance, both adults from the looks their size and... they didn't feel familiar. They didn't have the familiar weight of the pride about them. It was unnerving. She stilled her walk, ears pinning back. Now she was too nervous to continue on foot. These were the ones she had felt. The ones that were coming home. One of them must belong to the pride if she felt that kind of tug earlier.

So, steeling her nerves, the juveniale walked toward them, taking a deep breath to call out, "Hello over there! You look to be a little lost." Of course, she wouldn't step an inch outside of her pride lands. That was forbidden and Deepali didn't want to get in trouble for it. "....I.... if you could come closer?"

Feral Mule

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:30 am
"Closer? Of course we'll come closer," Mel replied cheerfully. "We're coming home, aren't we?" He glanced at Saskiranel, mouth open to make a comment, but her expression made him hastily reconsider. The lion turned his attention back to the youngster who was coming steadily closer with each step he took.

"So, tell me, kiddo, what's your name? I'm Mel." An expert eye looked over the young lioness and decided that she was probably not suffering from the disease. Only time could tell if she would be immune, and he certainly didn't have that experience with her yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:34 am
It was suspicious that the kid had come from the heartlands and right for them. It was odd how she stopped just there and didn't take a step farther out. They had been in the borderlands for some time now, but the younger lioness' behavior made Sas think that that spot might be the exact border at this time. A slight smile curled her lips, just barely enough to be called such, at the thought of how the kid was obeying the exact letter of the rules.

It was still worrisome that she seemed to have known they were coming, but the Guard decided that could wait. For now. At the moment the kid looked fairly nervous and rightly so. The two travelers were complete strangers to her and Sas was clearly dangerous.

The older lioness sighed. "We're not going to hurt you, or get you in trouble," she told the kid.

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Feral Mule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 am
She wriggled in excitement when she felt they weren't a danger to her anymore. It wasn't the exact boarder, but the one her mother had given her. Deepali tilted her masked little head and smiled a little bit before giggling in that little cub like way. "You're coming home? You are from here? Oh oh! You've been out! You are out, oh wow!" Yes, she got a little stupid when she was excited, but she'd never known anyone that had come from the outside before. Biting on her lip, she continued waiting.

"Momma said not to talk to strangers. ....I'm Deepali!" Her tail flicked happily behind her, brown eyes shining brightly. She was young and niave and was really healthy. It just got so depressing being around sick, dying lions all the time. "Can you tell me what it's like? Pleeeease?"  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:45 pm
Mel grinned as the cub's whole demeanor changed for the better. She was a cutie, especially now that she knew they were trustworthy members of the pride.

"That's right, we were both born right here, in the Kitwana'antara," he confirmed cheerfully. Not that he blamed her in the least for her reaction. After all, he considered one of the greatest privileges of his chosen role to be the (limited) freedom to leave the pride lands for a time...so long as he was only a carrier and not yet a victim of the disease.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you Deepali," the older lion replied. "I'd be thrilled to tell you as much as you want to hear..." Mel trailed off suddenly, catching Sas' eye.

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:51 pm
The lioness was a bit taken aback by the sudden flood of speech out of the cub. Sas had read the kid as being quiet and reserved, but apparently that was only in the face of strangers. Well, she and Mel were still technically strangers to the cub - Deepali - but apparently they were "safe" just by being members of the Kitwana'antara.

She had to wonder though if all the current cubs were so trusting, that they would believe any stranger who claimed to be a member of the pride. If they were...well, measures would have to be taken.

The Guard returned her attention to the conversation at hand in time to realize Mel was going to tell the kid about their travels. She managed to catch his eye and give him a Look. Once she'd silenced him, Sas picked up where he'd left off.

"...but not until after we've reported in," she said firmly. "Standard procedure for those returning from long journeys. After that you can seek him out, or he you."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:31 pm
It wasn't every cub was as trusting as this one, just Deepali was glad that some lions were returning that weren't sick and weren't going to die! Deepali, as previous said, hated that everyone got sick and died, or nearly everyone. It really seemed like the pride's numbers would never rise. She was worried, too. She didn't know if she was sick or not, but so far she had escaped it. Now, of course Deepali knew it really didn't mean anything. She could still be a carrier and have it trigger any day now. Just the thought depressed her.

"Would you really?" Then she heard the female's words and nodded. Sas scared her. She seemed kind of rough and mean. She shrank away and let the two pass, but it wasn't very submissive, more like being helpful. Tail flicking, she giggled and grinned.

"I will be at the water hole until night time, then I have to go home! Come find me and tell me all sorts of stories, please!" She wasn't talking to Sas that time, no. She was talking to Mel. Sas looked like she'd cuff her if she ever approached her again.  

Feral Mule

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:02 pm
Mel had been nodding quietly as Sas cited regulation and rule. It wasn't quite what he liked, but he knew there were good reasons. Any potential threads, the Queen would have to know about quickly, and they didn't want their memories to fade any further. Nor did they need rumors flying about.

"Of course I would!" he replied enthusiastically. "I don't know if I'll be able to find you today, but soon, all right?" It would be so wonderful to...not have to be with Sas. To be with ANY OTHER FEMALE. To tell stories to Deepali.

He was really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:06 pm
It didn't escape Sas that Deepali was only talking to Mel. And that was fine. She wasn't big on cubs at the moment. She needed to report and then find out what had happened while she'd been gone, and what her duties would be now.

"He'll likely be stuck past sunset as we report," the Guard put in. "And we'd better hurry in to do that else we'll get no sleep tonight."

She nodded to the cub and gave Mel a Look that he'd be able to interpret as "get moving. Now." She really didn't hate cubs, but she was looking forward to sleeping in her own den for once.

Sas took the lead and went on, without looking back to see if Mel was following.

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Feral Mule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 pm
"Awww..." She whined out as she heard it wouldn't be today. She was really looking forward to it, despite having just met them. Frowning, Deepali nodded and sighed, sitting on her haunches as she thought about something. "In two days I'll be roaming with my siblings again! If we meet here can you tell me the stories then?"

She looked up at Mel with big, wide, brown eyes and then flicked an ear to the side. Oops. "Hehe... It seems.... mother's calling me. I'll see you in two days!"

Slowly, she walked off, knowing she was in a bit of trouble for being this close to the boundaries of the pride lands.  
[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff