Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
who here hate hate hates those people that go ''thats so gay Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xxxiambetterthaneverxxx

2,900 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:44 am
i can not stand those people they deverve to be stabbed and even if it was 'gay' then wats so wrong with that i mean who has the right to use the word 'gay' as somthing mean.because its not.love no not the boundries of race,gender,religon or speciecs...but it does age cause thats just wrong but back to the piont....why can 'straight' be the word used meanly like 'ew thats so straight'?who said be straight was so great?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 am
Honestly...

I don't give a s**t. If you listen carefully to the context of the conversation [rather than a single phrase], you will figure out that the majority of the time, "That's so gay" is simply a substitute for "That's so stupid/lame/dumb." The next time you hear someone say "That's so gay," ask them if they really intended to bridge the negative meaning. If so, THEN you should go ape-s**t.

In my opinion: you're one of those people who are extremely touchy about words. News Flash! - Slang is a b***h [sometimes]. Keep an open mind, never jump to conclusions, and avoid hasty generalizations.

Once these obstacles are over and done with, you'll start to see the beauty behind discussions without fear of judgment from both ends.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:24 am
the meaning of words change, gay didnt used to mean homosexual but we changed the meaning of the word. and like with all slang im sure the meaning of the word will change again

a word is just a word and only has as much power over you as you let it  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I usually only hear pre-teens and teenagers use that phrase. Maybe amongst a few college students, as well, so it's not something I hear everyday. I find the phrase annoying for different reasons.

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Super Sarah IT Girl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:34 am
It's just so common amongst some people that they say it without thinking, even when they should probably know better. A good friend of mine (arguably my best) says it occasionally, and he knows about my gender and sexuality confusion.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 am
It doesn't bother me at all.
Hell, sometimes I use it myself.

Live and let live, eh?
smile

eat more happy

Friendly Elocutionist

8,525 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

iLegoBlock

Wheezing Sex Symbol

6,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:13 pm
Hun, I dont think that any one in the LGBT likes that  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:20 pm
Deserve to be stabbed? Really? neutral

I barely even notice the phrase when people use it, to be quite honest. There are plenty of things that I could get angry about on a daily basis, but a silly phrase like that is so ******** trivial that it doesn't really register anymore.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Ayame_Rikimayu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:06 am
Shanna66
the meaning of words change, gay didnt used to mean homosexual but we changed the meaning of the word. and like with all slang im sure the meaning of the word will change again

a word is just a word and only has as much power over you as you let it

^This. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:17 am
I find it annoying. People seem to forget that it didn't evolve to mean stupid without a connection to its previous meaning which was to describe a homosexual man. Just as it didn't go from merry/licentious to homosexual man without a connection.

Language is important since we, well you know, think in it. If we just sit back and let words mean only what we want them to mean then do we ever understand what anyone is ever saying at all? So I don't get it when people just say it's only a word. Once a word has a certain connotation you can't reclaim it without the taint. Ignoring the varying definitions and connotations is just sticking your head in the sand.  

Juxtaposedjoker

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:25 am
Juxtaposedjoker
I find it annoying. People seem to forget that it didn't evolve to mean stupid without a connection to its previous meaning which was to describe a homosexual man. Just as it didn't go from merry/licentious to homosexual man without a connection.

Language is important since we, well you know, think in it. If we just sit back and let words mean only what we want them to mean then do we ever understand what anyone is ever saying at all? So I don't get it when people just say it's only a word. Once a word has a certain connotation you can't reclaim it without the taint. Ignoring the varying definitions and connotations is just sticking your head in the sand.

i do it by having that live and let live attitude biggrin

sure we think in words, most of us anyways, but still. at the end of the day its just a word, just something i used my voicebox to make and has nothing to do with who i am as a person no matter how that word is used.

if someone started using homosexual as a negative term then i would probably get offended because homosexual is a word that was made to describe a certain group of people. while gay has changed meanings a few times and was made to be another word for an emotion  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:31 am
Juxtaposedjoker

So you are saying that because someone chooses not to let words and phrases affect them, that they are sticking their head in the sand?

I think you misunderstand. I will admit, I've been offended by what people have said before. BUT! There are far worse things in the world to be hung up over. What the OP is talking about, is people using the word "gay" as a substitute for "stupid", etc. Now how many of those people who talk in this fashion are willing to go out and perform hate crimes against those in the LGBT community? I refuse to believe that every person out there who misuses the word "gay" is malicious against gay people. I use it (often my language is vulgar when I'm angry), and there's nothing I can really justify that for...but I'm not going to harm anyone for it.

When someone proves me wrong, then we'll talk. Otherwise, I stand by what I said.

Ayame_Rikimayu

YaoiBoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 am
1800xxx
i can not stand those people they deverve to be stabbed and even if it was 'gay' then wats so wrong with that i mean who has the right to use the word 'gay' as somthing mean.because its not.love no not the boundries of race,gender,religon or speciecs...but it does age cause thats just wrong but back to the piont....why can 'straight' be the word used meanly like 'ew thats so straight'?who said be straight was so great?

It used to bug me a whole lot, but now not as much.
But still, it does get annoying, esp. when people say it around who know i'm gay, it's like really?
I have to say, the most hilarious use was by the 40 y/o "cool mom" vet I work with who said that about some stupid s**t that happened. I Lol'd just because you never think of someone like that saying it.

If anything, start refering to people who say that around you as "breeders" in a demeaning way, and use the words "hetero" and straight" with some anger in them wink  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 am
Saying "That's so gay," is really one of the few things that drives me bonkers. My step-brother and cousin are more or less homophobes and say the term constantly. Then again, there only 14 year old boys. Go fig. rolleyes
And when I ask them to not say it, they usually drag the conversation on longer and call me immature for defending the LGBT community neutral and automaticly label me as gay. scream
They really need to grow up...  

PiratedBeans

4,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Az Eternity

3,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 am
I only will comment to someone about saying it depending on their attitude.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff