View Results

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:47 am
I noticed a common issue among the members of this guild, many are unsure of the many aspects of a tarot deck. Now I'm not the authority on this issue but I have many years of experience playing with these cards. To put it frankly I've been using them for approximatly seven years. So I thought to make selecting, using and caring for a deck less of a mystery that I would post what I know about these decks. I own three decks currently, but I've owned about six total. I've owned an oracle deck, which was purified, safties put on and whiped sterally clean of my signature and given to another student. The deck was never mine in the first place, acctually I never used it, we did the ritual just in case. I also have a general purpose called the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot and a typical tarot deck called the Legacy Tarot, as well as a Chinese oracle set.

I will break this up for the sake of the reader, and reference.

I.... Introduction

II.... What you need to know before buying
IIa.... Deck Types an Overview
IIb.... Choosing a deck type to work with

III.... How to choose your deck

IV.... What else you need

V.... First Reading

VI.... Cleansing Deck

VII.... Storing deck when not in use

VIII.... Decks & Books I recommend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:53 am
Introduction
I

Tarot cards are a very useful tool when a person desires and needs to take a look into the future or the past. These cards allow us to advance on our journeys and make wise decisions with some insight. The truth is a person never truly out grows a tarot deck; these cards always have much more to offer.

This guide is to assist you in finding your way through the fury of many decks out there.

Bon Forchuna,
~Stel~

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:14 am
What you need to know before buying
II

The hardest thing is to know what you’re looking for in a deck and what different decks are used for. The first thing you need to do before making a purchase is research. GO online and read about the top ranked decks and read reviews, these people usually give you a good over view of a deck and will talk about accuracy and comfort as well as vibes. The site that I like the best is http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/, these guys know their stuff. There are many other sites out there but this one is my personal favorite.

Once you've done your homework the next thing you'll probably ask about is the difference between tarot types.

IIa A Brief OverviewThere are two major deck types, Oracle or Soul cards and Rider-Waite based decks. The first thing you must know is the purpose of these types and the fact that some decks combine them together as a general purpose deck.

Oracles
Oracle or soul decks are used to help someone advance on a quest in the Astro world. These cards guide us through sessions of meditation and show us the steps we must complete on the journey. The spreads for these cards are rather complex but an excellent source of assistance when you're unsure of what to do. Fair warning, a lot of time is involved to complete a spread because the individual must meditate on each card in the spread. If they don't chances are you'll mess up and find your self in an awkward and more complicated position.

Rider-Waite based decks
These decks are based off of the classic and first deck put in mass production. With references to elements, these decks are excellent for readings involving both the past and the future. Remember though that every 24 hours your future changes and readings are never set in stone. These cards usually come with a book if you're getting a starter set and sometimes you'll have to search for the book because every artist has a different view of the meaning of each card. They interpret them a little differently and sometimes these decks have many other attributes such as elemental, celestial and alchemic properties. So when in doubt get the book.

General Purpose cards
These decks are rare and usually contain one or two specialty spreads. The Da Vinci Enigma Tarot is one of these decks. Unfortunately I'm just learning how to master this kind of deck. My suggestion is to read the book and study it extensively. These decks usually have a greater and more in-depth message for you and need some time to think about and absorb everything you've learned.

IIb Choosing a deck type to work with
Choose what you buy based on your intentions and what you need at the time. If your just starting a Rider-Waite based deck is probably your best one. This will give you a chance to get used to working with a deck and learning how to fraise questions and lay out spreads.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 am
Choosing your deck
III

This is the hardest part of your task. To find a deck requires patience, the right deck will call you. Many of us say that they can hear the decks scream like children, those who can know that the one that screams the loudest is theirs. Others use the vibes of the cards to choose their deck. The nicer the vibes the chances are it's your deck. Another way, is to look what inspired the artist and how reputable they are. Even if they're a fairly unknown artist, their work can still be good and fit what ever you need particularly. Like for example you're working with angelic magic an angelic deck will do the best.

The final way to select which deck comes home with you is the use of a pendulum. Hold the pendulum over each box and ask if the deck is yours. A clockwise circle and a vertical swing is yes and a counterclockwise circle with a horizontal swing is a no.

If you're still having difficulty seek an elder and ask for their guidance, don't let them choose which deck for you to buy but ask them which one they believe fits you. Then go with your instincts.

Your instincts are your greatest tool.  

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:31 am
What else you need
IV

If you didn't buy a starter deck chances are there isn't a book. That's okay; there are plenty of books out there with many spreads and the basics.

However here is a list of must haves.

A piece of silk, velvet or linen to wrap your deck in. This wrapping must be purified and is used to protect the cards when not in use. For the ritual and proper storage see the storage section.

A note book is also important, record everything, every reading and the vibes of journeys you got while using the deck. This will serve as an excellent resource later on.

Sage, frankincense, rosemary and thyme are some herbs to keep around when it's time to purify them.

Oils are very helpful too; the best once are lavender, jasmine and gardenia. There are many alternatives, when it comes to the use of an oil I say use you instincts. The oil will come in handy during your first reading.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:44 am
The first reading
V

The first reading is very symbolic; it's an introduction to the deck. Each deck has a soul, a spirit that gives it a personality. Deck introductions are very important. The first thing that should be done is a cleansing, see the cleansing section. This allows only for you to feel and know the deck.

One of my favorite things to do as soon as I open the box is to apply a touch of body oil to my hands this is were the oils in the other things you will need comes in. Rub the oil gently into your hands and leave a little excess. Pick up the deck and shuffle it so the oil gets on each card evenly. This gives the deck a soothing and personal feeling that also has protective measures if done properly. While shuffling keep your mind black, as soon as you think of a question it will want you to spread them so they can answer it.

Use the book of spreads as a reference to which you should use based on the question. The spreads will have their own description and many are specialized to answer one type of question. Ask the question as you shuffle the deck; only keep the one question in your head. DO NOT THINK ABOUT THE RESULTS OR ANOTHER QUESTION. This will skew the results. Once the cards have been shuffled to your liking, lay them out in the spread. When laying them out the way to remove the first card from the deck should be repeated through the entire lay out of the spread. Flip the cards in order and the way that you flip the first card should be the same for every single card in the spread. Flip the cards according to the order in the book and read them based on that order.

The first reading with a new deck is the most important. This seals the bond between the deck and the owner and imprints a magical signature in the cards. This signature will remain no matter how many cleansings are done. Once the reading is finished and you've interoperated the spread, pick up the cards and shuffle them saying "Thank you." This tells them that you care and they will trust you. ALWAYS THANK THEM AND CLEAN THEM TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THE SESSION AND THIER GUIDENCE EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RESULTS. Wrap them in the silk once you've completed this and put them in a box or bag.  

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 am
Cleansing the deck
VI

To cleanse the cards a simple spell is needed and some sage should be burned as an extra measure to ensure that they are clear of all negative energy. Oh by the way to prevent negative energy build up from readings, use the spell and apply a touch of body oil to your hands and shuffle the deck. This should only be done once, the scent that works the best is lavender, gardenia and jasmine also work well, and I’ve used all three in the past. If you're unsure of which to use, go with your instincts, chances are they will lead you in the right direction.

The spell...
Elements of Wind and Fire
Bring to me my heart's desire
Water, Earth, may wish fore fill
Strong my magic
Strong my will
Within there four elements four fold
The power goes and so will hold

These cards tell both future and past
Bring it to me both true and fast.
The Spell is courtesy of D.J. Conway

The other option is to wrap the cards in a shard of silk that has been purified, and place the bundle in the moon light.

To purify the sham, rub your hands in purified water and wad up the silk, your hands should be damp not sopping wet. While you do so make sure that you have some sage, frankincense, rosemary or thyme burning. This will aid in the cleaning and boost the effectiveness of the session.

There are two more ways to cleanse the deck, burn some sage, frankincense or a rosemary and thyme compound and run the cards through the smoke a few times, this is a quick purification that doesn't always work but it's excellent if you're short on time.

Or

Use a Herkimer Diamond and a Lamarian Seed stone to cleanse them quickly and give them a little more power. I will warn you that these two stones are expensive and can be difficult to find with in a budget.

CLEANSING SHOULD BE DONE AFTER EVER READING. Negative energy build up isn't the most fun thing in the world to deal with.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:03 am
Storing deck when not in use
VII

Storing a deck may seem like a simple concept but more and more often I find people abusing decks and not putting them away properly.

A deck should always be wrapped in velvet, silk or linen when in storage; this wad should then be placed in a bag or box and stored in a safe and secret place. If cards are left in the open with out a wrapping, negative energy will get into the cards making it easy to accidentally cast a spell with them during a reading. These spells have some nasty consequences and cause more harm than they're worth.

Boxes are a very interesting controversy; I myself prefer wood, the box that the cards came in works well too. However I've met many that love stone ones. These stone boxes work excellently there's only one issue, the price sticker. To prevent your self from going into sticker shock, I suggest a wooden box that's been cleansed, stuff the box with sage, leave it open under the full moon and keep it there for the entire cycle, this should take care of any negative energy in the box.

Bags work well too, if a bag is to be used do the same thing that you did with the box for purification.  

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 am
Decks & Books I Recommend
VIII

There are many decks and books out there. My personal favorites are...

The Legacy of the Devine Tarot

The Gilded Tarot

The Da Vinci Enigma Tarot

There are thousands of decks out there all you have to do is look. The site bellow is the most useful. Browse, learn and enjoy about the many decks out there.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:30 pm
intresting, very intresting

i've had 2 decks and have been playing with them for about ay ear and a half now, cause i decided to travel around australia i havent had much time and kind of neglected it, and i;'m missing it heaps. I'm doing some research into wicca and all that stuff and i came across your topic here... I was wondering about the cleansins spell, you have one for the elements, which is great for me since my altar is about elements, not bout gods/ess's, but i'm wondering if there are any more spells and do they vary with each belief? and how do you get them, like are the published and do you have to use them or can you make up your own spell?  

shadowly darkness

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:29 am
shadowly darkness
intresting, very intresting

i've had 2 decks and have been playing with them for about ay ear and a half now, cause i decided to travel around australia i havent had much time and kind of neglected it, and i;'m missing it heaps. I'm doing some research into wicca and all that stuff and i came across your topic here... I was wondering about the cleansins spell, you have one for the elements, which is great for me since my altar is about elements, not bout gods/ess's, but i'm wondering if there are any more spells and do they vary with each belief? and how do you get them, like are the published and do you have to use them or can you make up your own spell?

Elemental cleansing is tradition, I'm pretty sure that there are cleansing spells out there for gods and godesses. You can also creat your own, this takes some time but once you have it you never forget it. As for finding one all I can say is read plenty of books.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm
I have six decks of Tarot cards. I've only used four of them, only one for a few serious questions. I know that every once in a while you're supposed to cleanse the deck. I've been told rock salt, but I have difficulties getting my hands on it.

I also know that many people tend to keep their decks in a wooden box of some sort because of the nature of the container. I have a nice hand-made pine box in which I store all of my decks comfortably. They all are in their relative boxes or baggies (save for my Shapeshifter Tarot, which is wrapped in a white satin ribbon), separate from each other. The question here is: is it okay that they're all in the same box? It makes it easier for me to locate the deck I want at a moment's glance, and transport them without fear of misplacing them, etc. But is it okay to have unused decks in with used ones? Do their relative energies wear off on each other? Influence one another?  

Independent Renegade

Thirteenth Dragon

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 pm
Hellsing_Demon
I have six decks of Tarot cards. I've only used four of them, only one for a few serious questions. I know that every once in a while you're supposed to cleanse the deck. I've been told rock salt, but I have difficulties getting my hands on it.

I also know that many people tend to keep their decks in a wooden box of some sort because of the nature of the container. I have a nice hand-made pine box in which I store all of my decks comfortably. They all are in their relative boxes or baggies (save for my Shapeshifter Tarot, which is wrapped in a white satin ribbon), separate from each other. The question here is: is it okay that they're all in the same box? It makes it easier for me to locate the deck I want at a moment's glance, and transport them without fear of misplacing them, etc. But is it okay to have unused decks in with used ones? Do their relative energies wear off on each other? Influence one another?

Great question, I don't see a problem with that. They are in their own wrappings so their energies shouldn't rub off on each other. The unused decks shouldn't be a problem either. I find it easier to keep them all together. Decks only wear on each other when they are not wrapped, to separate them. However if the decks are unwrapped they will ware on each other, especially if the deck has not been cleansed.

I hope that this guide was helpful when it came to cleansing.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm
II Stelmaria II

They are in their own wrappings so their energies shouldn't rub off on each other. The unused decks shouldn't be a problem either. Decks only wear on each other when they are not wrapped, to separate them. However if the decks are unwrapped they will ware on each other, especially if the deck has not been cleansed.

Okay, that's good to know. Two of my decks came with very thin linen baggies, so thin as to be see-through. Does this pose a problem?  

Independent Renegade

Thirteenth Dragon

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:32 pm
I don't think the thin linen bags will be a problem. I use silk and linens myself. I have never had an issue with them. It's all about personal preference. Just cleans the decks and bags every so often.  
The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff