Welcome to Gaia! ::

Something Magical

Back to Guilds

This is a place where pagans, witches, and others who wish to know can come to learn from each other, and grow! 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Magic, Witchcraft, New Generation 

Reply *~General Discussion and Debate~*
////The Broom Closet\\ Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PerfectlyPagan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:55 pm
Hello. :]
We all know how WONDERFUL the broom closet is. stare
Let's use this thread to...
-Share experiences from in the broom closet
-Share experiences on coming out of the broom closet
-Share tips on coming out of the broom closet
-Ask for some broom closet advice.

Let's begin! ♥  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:11 pm
Honestly it was pretty easy for me to come out to my mom. My dad doesn't live with us, and I don't really talk to him, so I only had to worry about telling her. As far as I can remember, I just walked up to her and said, "I think I wanna be Wiccan," lol. She handled it very well, and simply told me to be careful about the label I choose. She has always supported me and what I do/am.

My advice for telling parents who may not be so understanding is this: Pull them aside and tell them as simply as you can. Discuss with them about what it means to be Pagan/Wiccan, and maybe even share some beginner books with them. Let them ask questions, and do your best to answer them. Remember that no matter what, your parents love you and they just want what's best for you.  

Dreams-of-Claudia

5,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Full closet 200

PerfectlyPagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:30 am
Dreams-of-Claudia
Honestly it was pretty easy for me to come out to my mom. My dad doesn't live with us, and I don't really talk to him, so I only had to worry about telling her. As far as I can remember, I just walked up to her and said, "I think I wanna be Wiccan," lol. She handled it very well, and simply told me to be careful about the label I choose. She has always supported me and what I do/am.

My advice for telling parents who may not be so understanding is this: Pull them aside and tell them as simply as you can. Discuss with them about what it means to be Pagan/Wiccan, and maybe even share some beginner books with them. Let them ask questions, and do your best to answer them. Remember that no matter what, your parents love you and they just want what's best for you.

I really think the experience depends on the person's family, which kind of sucks. It's not under the person's control.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:03 pm
hahahahaha broom closet rofl thats funny rofl

ummm... i donno if im really in a broom closet tho ninja i just dont tell people cuz i dont wanna freak them out. but if they ask or somthin i'd tell them 3nodding

a little while ago i was doing some prayer thing to apollo and burnin bay leaves in a corner of my yard. then a guy who works for my momma saw me and asked me what i was doing. i looked kinda shifty whee i just said i was burnin stuff tho cuz he knows im a pyro anyway. then later on i was in another corner with paper and a lighter tryin teh do it again and he caught me... i think he thinks im doing drugs now xd  

Trusty Shamrock

Trusty Shamrock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:06 pm
PerfectlyPagan
Dreams-of-Claudia

I really think the experience depends on the person's family, which kind of sucks. It's not under the person's control.
once they move out tho it gets a lot easier for them! 3nodding sooo theres always that to look forward to  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:17 am
I've not really been brought up with a religion baring the few times I went to church when staying at my grandma's house. While I'm not shouting about the fact I'm pagan it is really a taken thing in my house. The only thing they've got against it is the use of candles and incense as they think I'll burn the house down.  

Skysong the dragon

Distinct Businesswoman

9,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Marathon 300

Renkon Root
Crew

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:16 pm
This pickled vegetable...

What do we mean by "the broom closet"? Do we just mean "the closet" but are adding "broom" to it to make it sound more "witchy"? Or are we talking about something else entirely?

... could kick your a** !!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:07 pm
The broom closet is the equivalent of just "the Closet" for homosexuals. It's a term used by Witches/Pagans/ect. when they haven't "come out" to their family or sometimes friends about not being christian.

Artistic Genocide
Captain

rmcdra
Crew

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:58 pm
Artistic Genocide
The broom closet is the equivalent of just "the Closet" for homosexuals. It's a term used by Witches/Pagans/ect. when they haven't "come out" to their family or sometimes friends about not being christian.
Yeah I get that. I personally have issues with it since it implies and reinforces that all witches are pagan but as long as it's understood that it's not I can deal with it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:50 am
I made the mistake of coming out to my mother all at once. Let’s just say the poor woman almost had a heart attack finding out that her only son was bi and Wiccan. It’s not something I recommend doing, but in my circumstance it was the best option. I faired a lot better than my ex boyfriend who did the same thing, but at his family’s big Thanksgiving diner. That…didn’t end well.  

Rexsah

Hygenic Hunter

7,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Renkon Root
Crew

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
rmcdra
Artistic Genocide
Yeah I get that. I personally have issues with it since it implies and reinforces that all witches are pagan but as long as it's understood that it's not I can deal with it.
This pickled vegetable...

What rm said.

... could kick your a** !!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:57 pm
My whole family, and most of my friends know about me. Being bi, and being Wiccan. They're all accepting, but I guess I'm probably one of the lucky few =) not only that, but my grandma and great-grandma are both witches, and it's been in my family for generations, so yeah I'm very blessed to have such understanding family and friends!
=D

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150

demoness of wolves

Romantic Fairy

7,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:19 pm
I feel that I got quite lucky in my experiences. I talked to my parents about me being interested and looking into everything, and as it turns out my mom practices some basic witchcraft(for lack of a better term, heh). My dad has always been accepting, the only things he doesn't like is the candles and incense because, like others have said, he thinks I'll burn the house down, heh. On the down side, I was kicked out of my best friend's house by her dad because they-at least he is, anyway-are strict catholics. He now wants to literally burn me at the stake.... sweatdrop The rest of her family is cool with it though, and her mom has even asked me about advice and told me about stores around here for things! Heh, imagine that, a catholic helping someone interested in this! wink  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:34 pm
Well, the popular practice of Catholicism has been merged with witchcraft in the past. Over the past millennium most witches have been Catholic. I think there's more openness regarding rite, the unseen and folk practices. Of course that's popular practice, not necessarily approved of by the Church.  

Sanguina Cruenta

Eloquent Bloodsucker

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:53 am
My mother and father both don't accept it and I am often not allowed to talk about "blasphemis things". But my two sisters support me, even if my parent's don't like it.  
*~General Discussion and Debate~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff