Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Magical Name Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:11 pm
I've heard lots about having a "magical name." I get the gist of its meaning to be="a name, separate from your own, including nicknames, that is used during a magical or ritual experience."
I've also heard various anecdotes about the usefulness of having a magical name. From "it's a way to instantly get you into an altered state of consciousness" to "it's pointless, why bother."

I don't really know anything about hypnosis, but would it be possible to induce a state of hypnosis so often and relate it to a trigger-word so that one would eventually be able to just chant, think, say the word and it induce a hypnotic state?

Are there specific traditions that require the use of a "magical name"? Is it more of a personal choice?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:13 pm
Synnthetika
I've heard lots about having a "magical name." I get the gist of its meaning to be="a name, separate from your own, including nicknames, that is used during a magical or ritual experience."
I've also heard various anecdotes about the usefulness of having a magical name. From "it's a way to instantly get you into an altered state of consciousness" to "it's pointless, why bother."

I don't really know anything about hypnosis, but would it be possible to induce a state of hypnosis so often and relate it to a trigger-word so that one would eventually be able to just chant, think, say the word and it induce a hypnotic state?

Are there specific traditions that require the use of a "magical name"? Is it more of a personal choice?

why do you equate an altered state of mind with hypnosis?  

whiporwill-o

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:29 pm
whiporwill-o
Synnthetika

Well, perhaps equate isn't the right word. Organizationally, I think of "Altered States" as a term to categorize any type of activity that results in a perception and/or cognitive change. So hypnosis, drugs, even sleep deprivation, and etc., are all "altered states."

If you think this is incorrect, please let me know.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:13 pm
Synnthetika
whiporwill-o
Synnthetika

Well, perhaps equate isn't the right word. Organizationally, I think of "Altered States" as a term to categorize any type of activity that results in a perception and/or cognitive change. So hypnosis, drugs, even sleep deprivation, and etc., are all "altered states."

i was merely curious as to why having knowledge of hypnosis would be required for finding an altered state of mind. in truth, i believe that simply having a drink of water after suffering an immense thirst could also be considered mind altering.

also, there are certain traditions that require a second and even a third name. Wicca, i believe, is one of them, having an outter court name and an inner court name in addition to your birth name. (though i may be wrong about that, anyone please correct me if i am, thanks.)  

whiporwill-o

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:33 am
whiporwill-o
in truth, i believe that simply having a drink of water after suffering an immense thirst could also be considered mind altering.

As can taking food. At all. Or not taking it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:32 am
whiporwill-o
Synnthetika
whiporwill-o
Synnthetika

i was merely curious as to why having knowledge of hypnosis would be required for finding an altered state of mind. in truth, i believe that simply having a drink of water after suffering an immense thirst could also be considered mind altering.

also, there are certain traditions that require a second and even a third name. Wicca, i believe, is one of them, having an outter court name and an inner court name in addition to your birth name. (though i may be wrong about that, anyone please correct me if i am, thanks.)

Perhaps I should re-word myself. But first off, is my "definition" of a magical name correct? Or are there multiple interpretations?  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:42 am
whiporwill-o
Synnthetika
whiporwill-o
Synnthetika

Perhaps I should re-word myself. But first off, is my "definition" of a magical name correct? Or are there multiple interpretations?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:24 am
Synnthetika
I don't see why that would be the gist of it.

Frankly, in traditions that hold language as mystic discipline, a given name can be considered a magical name.

I mean hell, Baba named me after two figures from Rroma mysticism.
My Foster Mother had a "magical name" that she discarded in favor of using her birth name. Said she was going to stand before the gods in the power of the name given to her by her parents.
Quote:

Replace hypnotic state with altered state and I'd agree.
Quote:

Are there specific traditions that require the use of a "magical name"?
The Wica do. The Roma have an unusual relationship with names.

Quote:
Is it more of a personal choice?
None of my names have ever been chosen by me. The members of the Wica I know say their names are assigned- but that might not be universal within the cult.  

TeaDidikai

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 am
Synnthetika

Yes, however it's not really hypnosis specific... Anchoring.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 pm
Etherism has nothing along those lines but I have heard of somepaths that essentially assert that names have power. And sometimes the naming of something should be kept secret or hidden to avoid giving that power to anyone.

*shrug* I don't remember much of that though.  

Recursive Paradox

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:17 pm
Recursive Paradox
Etherism has nothing along those lines but I have heard of somepaths that essentially assert that names have power. And sometimes the naming of something should be kept secret or hidden to avoid giving that power to anyone.

*shrug* I don't remember much of that though.

Kemeticism is one of these.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:47 pm
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika
I don't see why that would be the gist of it.

Frankly, in traditions that hold language as mystic discipline, a given name can be considered a magical name.

I mean hell, Baba named me after two figures from Rroma mysticism.
My Foster Mother had a "magical name" that she discarded in favor of using her birth name. Said she was going to stand before the gods in the power of the name given to her by her parents.
Quote:

Okay, I think I get it. So when you have a situation where language is considered sacred or that certain words have power, a name that is given to you can be considered sacred or to have power. I suppose for one to choose a name for themselves that contains power, one would have to examine the meaning of the words involved, right?

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:30 pm
Synnthetika

Okay, I think I get it. So when you have a situation where language is considered sacred or that certain words have power, a name that is given to you can be considered sacred or to have power.
I can think of a couple of traditions that would hold that, ya.

Quote:
I suppose for one to choose a name for themselves that contains power, one would have to examine the meaning of the words involved, right?
It'd be a start. Though you may have to come to terms with possible vanity issues.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 am
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

Okay, I think I get it. So when you have a situation where language is considered sacred or that certain words have power, a name that is given to you can be considered sacred or to have power.
I can think of a couple of traditions that would hold that, ya.

Quote:
I suppose for one to choose a name for themselves that contains power, one would have to examine the meaning of the words involved, right?
It'd be a start. Though you may have to come to terms with possible vanity issues.

What do you mean vanity issues? Like choosing a name that is not representative of your self but rather what you would like to be represented as?  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 am
Synnthetika
What do you mean vanity issues? Like choosing a name that is not representative of your self but rather what you would like to be represented as?

Let's start by examining why people would choose to rename themselves.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff