God-breathed? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Queen Nzingha Nandi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:00 pm
2Timothy3:16 says:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

So, could anyone tell me why some people still get this idea that not all of God's word is divinely inspired? sad I mean its right here in God's word.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:46 pm
People want to do whatever they want and if they feel that something in the Bible doesn't suit them, they tend to try and discredit it. Very sad actually. And then, there are those who say the original copy was the perfect word of God, but since it's been copied and recopied over and over again, the perfection has been lost, thus what we have now is not the inspired word of God. I don't believe that because I believe that God wouldn't let his word be so corrupted that none of us could follow it.  

vampy dave

Queen Nzingha Nandi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:06 pm
mistressofthelost
People want to do whatever they want and if they feel that something in the Bible doesn't suit them, they tend to try and discredit it. Very sad actually. And then, there are those who say the original copy was the perfect word of God, but since it's been copied and recopied over and over again, the perfection has been lost, thus what we have now is not the inspired word of God. I don't believe that because I believe that God wouldn't let his word be so corrupted that none of us could follow it.

I agree! wink  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:21 pm
Scripture, as it was dictated by God to the writers, is God-breathed and without flaw. However, that was in hebrew and ancient greek. In the act of translating the Bible, things have been, invariably, lost.  

ioioouiouiouio

chickenlipsRfun2eat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:02 am

Old Testament- God inspired

New Testament- Not God inspired
;The reason why it was in the bible is because
it was moraly correct. 3nodding
and because some became gospels
[ex:Mathew Mark Luke John]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:47 am
chickenlipsRfun2eat

Contradictory to "all Scripture", eh?

There's a reason why I want to take Biblical Hebrew and Ancient Greek.  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

vampy dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:26 am
chickenlipsRfun2eat

I'd like to see some proof of this. And they didn't "become" gospels, that's what they are. "Gospel", or at least the word it's derived from means good news. I'd say that Jesus's birth, life, death, and ressurection are all very good pieces of news, wouldn't you? I mean Revalation was a vision from God. How can that NOT be inspired?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:50 pm
"The Case for Christ" states that the bible is the most accurate book that has ever been translated. It's somewhere in the high ninety percent range of accuracy.

Also this verse popped into my head when you talked about people wanting to discredit parts of the scripture that don't follow their views.

Revelation 22: 18

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book."

Though this may of course just be refering to Revelation....  

Luthien_Shy

Akkarine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:39 pm
chickenlipsRfun2eat

I would have to Disagree. Everything in the Bible is and was inspired by God. You can search the whole book and you won't find a single contradiction. That is not man's work. Those who disagree with the words in the bible are sadly mistaken. If you can disagree with one part of the bible why should you be able to agree with any of it. If it is holy, then it, the whole thing, is perfect. No flaws, and by God completely.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:09 pm
People can say whatever they want and some even when encountered with the truth, they still won't acknowledge it. I believe 2 Timothy Chapter 3 tells about it. On the 13th verse it talks about how people decieve others and they themselves are decieved. It's a good chapter and talks a bit of the end times. eek It's also shocking on how true it is about our world now. I agree though that the Bible is definitely inspired. 66 books and 44 authors I believe over a great span of time.  

Pandamaru

AbbyGirlForever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:17 pm
People say that because it's easier just to say that the Bible is wrong than to obey God. They don't like what they read, so they explain it away. Some people claim translation errors. Others claim that it was written by men and thus flawed. Some say it is interpretational error. Some just ignore it.

I think it's one of the most obvious signs that man is fallen when he blatantly says that God is wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:52 pm
A thread by my avatars name, except in English. wink If anyone is lacking the Greek, here you go:

2 Timothy 3:16

Every Scripture [is] God-inspired
Pasa graphe theopneustos

and profitable for teaching,
kai ophelimos pros didaskalian,

for conviction, for correction,
pros elenchon, pros epanorthosin,

for discipline which [is] in righteousness.
pros paidenian ten en dikaiosune.

Every Scripture [is] God-inspired and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for correction, for discipline which [is] in righteousness.

Pasa graphe theopneustos kai ophelimos pros didaskalian, pros elechon, pros epanorthosin, pros paidenian ten en dikaiosune.

Edit: Translations, such as the KJV, write "inspired by God." But the NIV gives the literal translation, which means "God-breathed." And God (Gr. theos) and breath (Gr. pneuma) make theopneustos.  

Theopneustos

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:47 pm
abbygirlforever
I think it's one of the most obvious signs that man is fallen when he blatantly says that God is wrong.

I'm not saying God is wrong.

I am saying Man is.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:31 am
I would refuse to submit to a God so weak He could not keep silly mortals from screwing up His Holy words. Okay, I think some writings that may have been canonized probably are "lost," but the fact is, the Word as He wanted us to have it is in our grasp now. Or He's impotent and he wrote a book for absolutely no reason.
Anyway, I think the accuracy of modern translations with the Dead Sea Scrolls and similarly discovered manuscripts attest nicely to the correct interpretation of the Bible over the centuries. I think people imagine the Bible being translated and they imagine themselves doing it: picking their noses, checking their sun dials, fiddling with their quills. These people took their job more seriously than we can imagine, and they were accountable to the scholars around them. The texts were not translated once by some drunk into a completely unrelated language. They were translated hundreds upon hundreds of times, with meticulous, dedicated hands. They were translated from the original languages into the most prevalent languages throughout history. Seems a little dismissive to say, "Oh, they were just gradually corrupted." as though it's a game of telephone instead of the plain job of transcribing the piece of paper in front of you and taking the job seriously.

Mark 13:31
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

~Gilwen  

Gilwen
Crew

Tarrou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:15 pm
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment - and to shift the focus of the discussion a bit - let me ask this: Assuming that certain scriptures are God-breathed, what is our assurance that the compilation of the bible was divinely inspired? Remember, what we know today as biblical canon was only decided upon after much debate within the early Christian community. And even though the losers in that debate have since been labeled heretics, it's important to ask the question: was it on God's authority that biblical canon was established, or was it decided upon by a temporal authority whose opinions simply happened to win out in the end?

And no, this isn't just a hypothetical question; the debate over whether the so-called Dueterocanon is canonical or apocryphal highlights the question of the bible's compiler's fallibility.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff