Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
has anyone here read the apologetics study bible? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm
a friend gave it to me for christmas and i wanted to know just how reliable it is. i have yet to get a good chance to really look at it and was wondering if it would even be worth the time or if it would just be a lovely addition to my bookshelf.

he got it for me because he knows of my distress when trying to follow the bible (even the new king james version), i just have difficulty following it and grow rather tired of reading who begat whom and so forth. in addition, the bible never really answers my questions as to why and how something happens (i can not give specific examples, atm) and 'because god said so' doesn't fly with me. he told me that this is suppuse to supply the science behind the belief and so forth.

it isn't that i necessarily want to follow christianity, but i want to actually know what it's all about. the more i really thought about it, most, if not all, of the christians that i know on a personal level are 'fluffy christians'. as in, 'because god said so' and 'all other religions are evil' and 'you're all going to hell because you don't believe exactly what i believe', so... yeah.
when i was a child i really believed that was all it was and to this day i am thankful that my dad wouldn't let me be baptized, he told me that it was too much responsibily for someone my age. and he was right, i just didn't know it at the time.

but, now i'm kind of rambling, so any comments? please?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Hm...I think I may have heard of it. Isn't it some sort of bible for dummies type thing?  

ShadowCatSoul

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:06 am
ShadowCatSoul
Hm...I think I may have heard of it. Isn't it some sort of bible for dummies type thing?

Apologetics  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 am
rmcdra
ShadowCatSoul

Apologetics

Eh, guess I was wrong. I have no idea what it is then.  

ShadowCatSoul

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 am
whiporwill-o
a friend gave it to me for christmas and i wanted to know just how reliable it is. i have yet to get a good chance to really look at it and was wondering if it would even be worth the time or if it would just be a lovely addition to my bookshelf.
It would be helpful to know more about the book in question, like who the publisher is, who the editor/author is?

In general an apologetic study bible is going to defend the traditions and interpretations of a particular sect of Christianity. What may be helpful to keep in mind is that what is being defended is what a particular tradition of Christianity and that the apologetics of CARM is going to be quite different from the apologetics found in NewAdvent.org is quite different from Mormon apologetics.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:13 am
whiporwill-o
I have a couple of them. Which translation is it and what sect?

Quote:

he got it for me because he knows of my distress when trying to follow the bible (even the new king james version),
The King James, while pretty and poetic, is a horrible translation.

Quote:

i just have difficulty following it and grow rather tired of reading who begat whom and so forth. in addition, the bible never really answers my questions as to why and how something happens (i can not give specific examples, atm) and 'because god said so' doesn't fly with me. he told me that this is suppuse to supply the science behind the belief and so forth.
He misinformed you. There may be an description of how the metaphor works, but it isn't going to be a scientific text.

Quote:

it isn't that i necessarily want to follow christianity, but i want to actually know what it's all about. the more i really thought about it, most, if not all, of the christians that i know on a personal level are 'fluffy christians'. as in, 'because god said so' and 'all other religions are evil' and 'you're all going to hell because you don't believe exactly what i believe', so... yeah.
You do realize that some of those positions, depending on what they are in response to, may actually be accurate, ya?

Like rcmdra said, more information on the specific Bible is in order. Also, any examples of things you don't understand would be nice.  

TeaDidikai

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:53 am
rmcdra
whiporwill-o
It would be helpful to know more about the book in question, like who the publisher is, who the editor/author is?

holman bible publishers, ted cabal-general editor  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 am
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
I have a couple of them. Which translation is it and what sect?

ummm, i don't know. how do i find that out? it does say holman christian standard bible on the spine, if that helps any.

Quote:
Quote:

he got it for me because he knows of my distress when trying to follow the bible (even the new king james version),
The King James, while pretty and poetic, is a horrible translation.

why is it so popular? wouldn't it be more beneficial to have an accurate translation?

Quote:
Quote:

i just have difficulty following it and grow rather tired of reading who begat whom and so forth. in addition, the bible never really answers my questions as to why and how something happens (i can not give specific examples, atm) and 'because god said so' doesn't fly with me. he told me that this is suppuse to supply the science behind the belief and so forth.
He misinformed you. There may be an description of how the metaphor works, but it isn't going to be a scientific text.

one the front of the box it leads one to believe that it would, so i can't blame him for his misunderstanding.

Quote:
Quote:

You do realize that some of those positions, depending on what they are in response to, may actually be accurate, ya?

that kind of makes me sad...

Quote:
Like rcmdra said, more information on the specific Bible is in order. Also, any examples of things you don't understand would be nice.

i guess i didn't realize that there would be more than one, kinda stupid and presumptuous of me. i have trouble recalling my misunderstandings unless they come up in conversation... one that i do remember is in the first book of the old testament, the two separate creations of man (...well, woman, technically). i have heard that adam had a first wife, lilith, before eve, but rarely is it ever talked about other than in conspiracy theory-esque ways. was there something left out of the bible that would confirm this, or is it just a mistranslation/fish story type deal?  

whiporwill-o

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:09 am
whiporwill-o
rmcdra
whiporwill-o

Well here's some amazon reviews on it.

This might help. You might also want to consider the opinions of those that posted 3 stars or less on it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 am
rmcdra
whiporwill-o
rmcdra
whiporwill-o

Well here's some amazon reviews on it.

This might help. You might also want to consider the opinions of those that posted 3 stars or less on it.

thank you. it never even crossed my mind to look on amazon, lol.  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:18 pm
whiporwill-o

ummm, i don't know. how do i find that out? it does say holman christian standard bible on the spine, if that helps any.
That does help.

Quote:
why is it so popular? wouldn't it be more beneficial to have an accurate translation?
It's popular for a few reasons. King James ascended to the throne just the search for a new English translation was on the table for the Church of England. Archbishop Laud prohibited the printing of the other popular English translations.
- And that's even before King James Only dogma found amongst some Protestants.

There are whole text books on this subject.

Quote:

Why?

Quote:
one that i do remember is in the first book of the old testament, the two separate creations of man (...well, woman, technically). i have heard that adam had a first wife, lilith, before eve, but rarely is it ever talked about other than in conspiracy theory-esque ways. was there something left out of the bible that would confirm this, or is it just a mistranslation/fish story type deal?
The Lilith Myth was made up in the middle ages- it's like Bible Fan Fic.

If you want to explore the justification for two creation accounts, you can go the apologetic route and discuss the finer details expanding upon the account in Genesis 1, or if you want to go with the anthropological route, you could explore the transition from polytheism to monolatry and later monotheism in Judaism.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:14 pm
TeaDidikai

I guess History channel didn't get the fanfic memo about Lilith? Seems like within the last few years they had a show about her. So she's really not mentioned in the Torah at all?  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:43 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
It's popular for a few reasons. King James ascended to the throne just the search for a new English translation was on the table for the Church of England. Archbishop Laud prohibited the printing of the other popular English translations.
- And that's even before King James Only dogma found amongst some Protestants.

There are whole text books on this subject.

that is actually another issue i have, i don't trust all of the translations of the bible.

Quote:
Quote:

Why?

i don't know, i guess i just think there should be a little more to it than that.

Quote:
Quote:
one that i do remember is in the first book of the old testament, the two separate creations of man (...well, woman, technically). i have heard that adam had a first wife, lilith, before eve, but rarely is it ever talked about other than in conspiracy theory-esque ways. was there something left out of the bible that would confirm this, or is it just a mistranslation/fish story type deal?
The Lilith Myth was made up in the middle ages- it's like Bible Fan Fic.[/qoute]
Oooooohhh. hmm.

Quote:
If you want to explore the justification for two creation accounts, you can go the apologetic route and discuss the finer details expanding upon the account in Genesis 1, or if you want to go with the anthropological route, you could explore the transition from polytheism to monolatry and later monotheism in Judaism.

i'm sorry, i'm a bit tired, but what?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:48 pm
Taliah
TeaDidikai

I guess History channel didn't get the fanfic memo about Lilith? Seems like within the last few years they had a show about her. So she's really not mentioned in the Torah at all?
In the Torah? No. In the Tanakh? Technically. In the Talmud? Yes, though rarely. She also has a few Midrash about her, however, the fanfic, and most populous version of her comes from the Alphabet of Ben Sirah, which is meant to be taken as satire. She does actually mate with Adam in one piece of midrash, but not before Eve.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Taliah
TeaDidikai

In the Torah? No. In the Tanakh? Technically. In the Talmud? Yes, though rarely. She also has a few Midrash about her, however, the fanfic, and most populous version of her comes from the Alphabet of Ben Sirah, which is meant to be taken as satire. She does actually mate with Adam in one piece of midrash, but not before Eve.

*scratches head* so... technically she does exist? i am so confused.

also, i have never heard of the talmud or the tanakh. what are they?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff