Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Uber fluff alert. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:01 pm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073870752X/qid=1134025003/103-5483244-0343853
Quote:
What the heck is going on here???, September 7, 2005
Reviewer: Paul Bradley "Paul" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews

Ok, in my opinion this book is just plain silly. I will admit that since I am male I may not have totally "gotten" everything the author was trying to express about women's sexuality, but I do know bad writing when I read it. The entire concept of the book also seemed to be one big marketing ploy designed to sell books and promote the author. I know a lot about the marketing game, and while I can appreciate the fact that both the publisher and the author want to sell books, I have come to expect pagan authors to care about the content before the money, and that clearly wasn't the case with this book. In an attempt to learn more about the author (lasara Firefox) I searched the Internet and discovered her website; I was shocked and appalled by what I saw and read. Besides the usual "news about the author" that is typical of this kind of website, I was subjected to Firefox whining and complaining about all of the bad press she's been getting been getting about her sex and magick parties on Witchvox and other E-Zines. If that wasn't bad enough, she then goes on to coerce visitors to her website to bury bad reviews of her book here at Amazon and also to help her manipulate her sales ranking! Here are two actual excerpts in LaSara's own words from her website (including her typos and misspellings):

"Also, Amazon.com: There is one bad customer review up for Sexy Witch. The woman who wrote it had a very hard time with the book.So, if you've read it, and especially if you enjoyed doing so, please go and post a positive review. We want to bury hers as soon as possible, so the more of you who go and do this, the better! Please do not reference her review, unless it is entirely necessary, as that will just lead people to read hers that may not have otherwise".

"...the ratings game is a b***h, and if we get the sales rank up on Amazon it means more people will see, and then buy, Sexy Witch.
The best way to make this happen is to organize a "buy day," so that all sales that my friends and fans make fall inthe same 24 hour period. This will bump the sales rating up. Tricky, huh?Yeah, it's artificial, but everyone does it. The point is improving visibility for a book that needs to get into the ahdns of the people who DON'T know it exists. Yet.
So, iif you are going to buy a copy (or better yet, copies - plural) off Amazon, please wait to purchase there until I have announced which day we will concentrate our efforts on. Okay? I promise there'll be a little something in it for you".

I have to ask, is this REALLY the type of person the pagan community should look to as an author, leader, and spiritual teacher? Her excuse is "everyone does it". No Firefox, everyone DOES NOT do manipulative crap like this and you should be ashamed to call yourself pagan! Bad reviews are part of the game so get over it! Being manipulative and tempting others to join into your subversive actions by promising them "a little something" is NOT pagan, and the majority of the pagan community neither wants or needs you, your book, or your deceptions, so stop trying to drag all of us into the gutter with you!

I consider myself a fair and honest reviewer, but even if this book had any redeeming qualities (which it doesn't), I could not recommend this book to you due to the authors complete lack of integrity.
rofl rofl rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:07 pm
damn, pwned. royaly.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:39 am
i was going to leave a comment and recommend The Satanic Witch instead, but meh.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:06 am
Perhaps we should start compiling a list of what authors to avoid? It's sad to say that every market has it's assholes, even this one. The "Pagan" niche is quickly growing and the con artists are ready to go. Snake-oil salesman have been around as long as anything. All one can do is speak out when the chance is given.  

BookWhore

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:14 am
sweatdrop Sounds a bit questionable, but without reading the work myself I'd rather withold judgement. At the same time, each to their own... and they'll probably be somebody who likes the book or finds something useful in it. Even the worst books I've ever read have had some good points.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:55 am
Question... what does dressing up as a man have to do with empowering yourself as a woman? This book is not about empowerment or sex, it's about deviancy. Sexual deviants should not impose their beliefs (no matter how "religious" they claim it to be) upon others. So I guess it's more than just deviancy but also exhibitionism. Just based on the reviews, this book is everything that sexuality and religion is not.  

Lila Malvae

ProfessorZed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:59 am
LilaMalvae
Question... what does dressing up as a man have to do with empowering yourself as a woman? This book is not about empowerment or sex, it's about deviancy. Sexual deviants should not impose their beliefs (no matter how "religious" they claim it to be) upon others. So I guess it's more than just deviancy but also exhibitionism. Just based on the reviews, this book is everything that sexuality and religion is not.

You say "deviant" like it's a bad thing. Frankly, I'm disappointed that you're so incredibly judgmental.

Admittedly, from what I can see, this isn't a book I'd pick up, but for a very different reason than the one you give. As a long-time v****a Warrior, I'm already plenty empowered and informed, and I understand what she's trying to accomplish. Clearly, you don't.

On second thought, maybe I'll pick it up after all. Vote with my wallet, so to speak.

Sexuality is an essential part of my spiritual practice, and spirituality is an equally essential part of my sexuality. While I'd never suggest that everyone become intimate friends with her girly-bits, it's certainly worth trying. Strike that -- I would suggest that very thing. On the other hand, I've never experimented with transvestism, frankly, but I can see how experiencing the world as the gender you're not would inform the gender you are in an interesting way.

Perhaps instead of judging, you could try understanding sometime. Just a thought.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:58 pm
I wonder if Mozilla could slap a lawsuit on her name... ninja

Seriously, just how short of a time span do you have to think in to call yourself Firefox? Even J.K. Rowling makes witch names that at least sound original. rolleyes

(This sounds like a stupid thing to say...it's been my week for that kind of thing, after all).  

NoSuchCreature

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:13 pm
I checked out the link and read a few of the reviews. This one struck me and lets us know about the true nature of this book.

from Amazon.com
There is nothing 'sexy' in this book. This book should not even have the word "Witch" in its title. This book is more about alternative sexual practices than anything to do with the Craft. We are talking alternative with a capital "A". Write love songs and love poetry to your v****a, dye your pubes, taste your vaginal secretions, play with your menstrual blood and do it all using the most foul names that you can think of to call your v****a. This is just a few of the 'lovely' rituals and exercises listed in this book.

And can anyone explain to me how dressing up as a man right down to 'packing' (as it is called by the author);which consists of fake male parts attached to your under-wear, will assist me in my quest for body acceptance and female sexuality? Please....

This book has set the Craft, feminism, and body acceptance back somewhere in the middle ages. I shudder to think that anyone would ever believe that this book is any kind of representation of witches. Thanks FireFox...Pagan elders have spent decades trying to put the dampers on the stereotyping of witches as sexual deviants, only to have you publish your twisted take on female sexuality, and put it out to the public as part of the Craft.

Yeah. Utter trash. Bad Firefox. Bad!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:41 pm
TheBookWhore
Perhaps we should start compiling a list of what authors to avoid? It's sad to say that every market has it's assholes, even this one. The "Pagan" niche is quickly growing and the con artists are ready to go. Snake-oil salesman have been around as long as anything. All one can do is speak out when the chance is given.
Good idea. That would be so helpful to starting Pagans. If they can stop the exposure of known bad material in the beginning, that saves a lot of effort in fixing it later. 3nodding  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:43 pm
EladrinStarmist
I checked out the link and read a few of the reviews. This one struck me and lets us know about the true nature of this book.

from Amazon.com
There is nothing 'sexy' in this book. This book should not even have the word "Witch" in its title. This book is more about alternative sexual practices than anything to do with the Craft. We are talking alternative with a capital "A". Write love songs and love poetry to your v****a, dye your pubes, taste your vaginal secretions, play with your menstrual blood and do it all using the most foul names that you can think of to call your v****a. This is just a few of the 'lovely' rituals and exercises listed in this book.

And can anyone explain to me how dressing up as a man right down to 'packing' (as it is called by the author);which consists of fake male parts attached to your under-wear, will assist me in my quest for body acceptance and female sexuality? Please....

This book has set the Craft, feminism, and body acceptance back somewhere in the middle ages. I shudder to think that anyone would ever believe that this book is any kind of representation of witches. Thanks FireFox...Pagan elders have spent decades trying to put the dampers on the stereotyping of witches as sexual deviants, only to have you publish your twisted take on female sexuality, and put it out to the public as part of the Craft.

eek Umm...eww....*grimises* (sorry if spelling is bad...)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:22 pm
EladrinStarmist

No. Think critically. Bad witch. Bad!  

ProfessorZed

damasta15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:22 pm
question question question  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:33 pm
Erishkegal
EladrinStarmist

Damn, you caught me there. Ok, we'll study it and get back to the thread on it. We should at least CONSIDER this book before we throw it out the window, seeing as how noone here has actually read it. Trashing or elevating a book based on its' reviews is stupid. You can't know something until you experience it for yourself. *slaps self on the wrist* I'm better now.  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:54 pm
EladrinStarmist
Erishkegal
EladrinStarmist

Damn, you caught me there. Ok, we'll study it and get back to the thread on it. We should at least CONSIDER this book before we throw it out the window, seeing as how noone here has actually read it. Trashing or elevating a book based on its' reviews is stupid. You can't know something until you experience it for yourself. *slaps self on the wrist* I'm better now.
Anyone here want to volunteer to review it?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff