Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Craft names. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of this?
  I like it
  I don't like it
View Results

Beautifully_Forgotten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:34 am
This topic is to help you figure out what your Craft Name is.
"How do I do that?"

First get a piece of paper and write the alphabet and numbers like so

A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5
F 6
G 7
H 8
I 9
J 10
K 11
L 12
M 13
N 14
O 15
P 16
Q 17
R 18
S 19
T 20
U 21
V 22
W 23
Y 25
Z 26

Each letter is associated with a number as you can see above.
Find the numbers associating with your names.
Example: Here's my name
K A Y L Y N
the number for K is 11
the number for A is 1
the number for Y is 25
the number for L is 12
the number for Y is 25
the number for N is 14
Add all of those numbers together.
Example.
11+1+25+12+25+14 = 88
Do the same with your last name.
The number for my last name ended up to be 86
So
88 + 86 = 174
Then you add the remaining digits, like so
1 + 7 + 4 = 12
My number is 12.

Then what you do is find a name that you really like, and add the numbers as I did above. If the end result numbers match, then that can be your Craft Name unless you choose to change it.

This is just one way to figure out your craft name, or you could also just choose a name that you really like and stick with that, or your craft name could be a nickname that people call you. Anything is accepted really, but this was just another way of finding your Craft Name using Numerology.

Once you've done this or have figured out your Craft Name, go ahead and tell us what it is [if you like], or you could also share how you came about to your Craft Name. =]

Mine is
Harper Chadwick
<3  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:44 am
What is the significance of the numerology and of the name?  

Aino Ailill

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:50 am
Also, to expand on Aino's question - what tradition does this come from? What significance do these Craft Names have for that tradition?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:08 pm
A Craft Name is what wiccan's/witches call themselves when they are practicing. I'm not positive on this but I've read from many different sources that many witches choose one for their working. It is a symbol of rebirth and using a craft name allows you to step out of your "real" self so that the pressures of daily life can be left behind you when you are performing magic and rituals

If this guild isn't for those who practice wicca, then I guess I'm in the wrong guild.  

Beautifully_Forgotten

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:17 pm
Beautifully_Forgotten
A Craft Name is what wiccan's/witches call themselves when they are practicing. I'm not positive on this but I've read from many different sources that many witches choose one for their working. It is a symbol of rebirth and using a craft name allows you to step out of your "real" self so that the pressures of daily life can be left behind you when you are performing magic and rituals

Ah. I'm not very up on Wiccan practice, given how much of it is oathbound. Though, this particular practice you've presented wouldn't have much bearing on my own practice, being integrated into my daily life for the most part.

Quote:
If this guild isn't for those who practice wicca, then I guess I'm in the wrong guild.

There are Wiccans here, I think. There's only a couple that I know of on Gaia. There are also dozens of seekers!

There's also dozens of non-Wiccans. Paganism is a big term and all.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:28 pm
Um, isn't this out of Bucklands blue book? I think it is, I'll have to check.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:30 pm
Shearaha

Ick! I hope not. sad I'd look through my copy, but then my coffee table will teeter.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm
Collowrath
Shearaha

Ick! I hope not. sad I'd look through my copy, but then my coffee table will teeter.

I bought it before I knew better. Now it's burried in the stack of RP books. I have to admit that I've pulled from it for RPs but that's all I use it for anymore. I'm at work now, so I can't check until I get home in about 1-2 hours.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:53 pm
Shearaha
Collowrath
Shearaha

I bought it before I knew better. Now it's burried in the stack of RP books. I have to admit that I've pulled from it for RPs but that's all I use it for anymore. I'm at work now, so I can't check until I get home in about 1-2 hours.

I did as well. Was drawn in by the pretty cover. I haven't touched it in ages. I'll do the honors and poke through it a minute. smile

EDIT: Nope, this isn't exactly Buckland's method. Very similar though. He wants you to take your birth date and render it into a single digit, then take your chosen "Craft Name" and render it into a single digit, and if it matches, it's good. *shrug*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:29 pm
Ok, I'm not the nice one on these forums. I'm not the meanest, but I'm pretty sure I'm up there.

I see stuff like this posted and it gets me rather irritable.

I am going to make some assumptions. Please correct me if I have gone wrong. If I have not gone wrong and I am, in fact, correct I would like you to reflect upon what you have done and what step you should take next

1) You don't understand this (or any) numerology. You have no idea what (if anything) it does.
2) It was in a book that made "magic" seem accessible and easy to read.
3) You did little to no academic research on the author or his sources.
4) You accept the contents of the book as true
5) You believe that what is in that book should be treated with the same respect as, let's say, my faith

Did I get any of these wrong?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Beautifully_Forgotten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:32 pm
Yes in fact you did get it wrong.
My friend told me about it, we constantly tell each other new things all the time about our practice. I just thought it would be a fun idea, hell if I knew I would've gotten my head bitten off by such elitists then I wouldn't even have joined this guild.

The step I am going to take next is quit this guild
thanks.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:09 pm
Beautifully_Forgotten
My friend told me about it, we constantly tell each other new things all the time about our practice. I just thought it would be a fun idea, hell if I knew I would've gotten my head bitten off by such elitists then I wouldn't even have joined this guild.

thanks.

This is a discussion guild. We discuss. We promote responsible paganism, and thus will discuss things within that context. If that offends, that's... not really our problem. confused Getting butthurt and running away doesn't help the discussion, either.  

Collowrath

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 pm
Beautifully_Forgotten

What did I get wrong?

Beautifully_Forgotten
My friend told me about it, we constantly tell each other new things all the time about our practice.

What qualifications does your friend have?

Beautifully_Forgotten
I just thought it would be a fun idea

So you use "magic" as a plaything?

Beautifully_Forgotten
hell if I knew I would've gotten my head bitten off by such elitists then I wouldn't even have joined this guild.

Do you ever stop to consider what's going to happen when you give up your fad with magic?
Do you think the workings that you ******** around with are just going to dissappear? Do you think they effect you and you alone?

You post nonsense like this and don't justify it, you don't explain it, you clearly don't know what it does and you advocate doing it.

Of course I'm going to get pissed off at that. You don't know what you're playing with and you're trying to get others to do it. You're like those kids who ******** about with cocaine, never suffer for it but get ten or eleven people hooked on it.

May you be faced with the consequences of your actions.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:25 pm
Beautifully_Forgotten
My friend told me about it, we constantly tell each other new things all the time about our practice.

I'm afraid you're not being very clear, here, as to what, exactly, Cu got wrong. That the source was a person and not a book doesn't really alter much.

Quote:
I just thought it would be a fun idea,

It's certainly interesting. However, if there is any magical significance to it, I don't see why one who believes that it the magic is true would play around with it without knowing the significance - the potential consequences - of doing so.

Quote:
hell if I knew I would've gotten my head bitten off

...it wasn't. Your understanding was questioned and challenged, but not in a hostile manner.

Quote:
by such elitists then I wouldn't even have joined this guild.

This guild is for the rehabilitation of fluffies. As such, one should post with the expectation that, if another thinks that they are wrong (or not fully correct), then the other will challenge. It allows for a more in-depth and honest approach to our chosen paths.

Quote:
thanks.

Good bye.  

Aino Ailill

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 am
Aino Ailill
...it wasn't. Your understanding was questioned and challenged, but not in a hostile manner.

You know, this just occured to me.
I'm just so used to being hostile that I assumed I was being hostile even though this time I wasn't being hostile.
Sorry about the clunkiness of that sentence. It's 08.31 here. I've been awake too long. Stupid meds.

Aino Ailill
if another thinks that they are wrong

I'm going to add to what Aino has said here.

I don't like to pull the "magic is dangerous" card. It makes me sound pretentious and I have enough making me sound pretentious as it is. But dicking around with anything you don't understand, be it electronics, psychology, thermophysics or chemistry, is dangerous.

And if you can't answer some simple questions about why you're crossing this wire with this chip, or adding this chemical to this compound or turning your name into a set of binding symbols (that's what equations are, binding symbols) but you do it anyway, then I would argue that you ought not to be playing with the system you're playing with.

Sure, the chances that what you'll end up with are inert, bad smelling and utterly harmless (unless ingested) but there exists a chance that you blow yourself up. This may be a chance you are willing to take, but is it a chance you are willing for your neighbour to take. Have you asked your neighbour?

Aino Ailill
Good bye.

I wouldn't go that far, Aino.
I'd just say "bye".
I have no well wishing left in me for someone who reacts to fair honest questions in such an ignorant manner. I wish their neighbours well, though.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff