Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wrong to celebrate both? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A_Flames_Desire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:33 am
So I'm not totaly sure on what religion I am.
I've decided that I will attend church with my friend, study Christianity and on the side study Paganism as I have for three years.
I just want to get everyone's view on this though: Would it be wrong of me to celebrate both Yule and Christmas?
There are certain aspects of the two holidays that seperate them but all in all it's pretty much about welcoming and celebrating the birth of a God right?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:47 am
I don't see a problem with it -- I celebrate Solstice with my local Pagan community and Xmas with my family. OK, so most of my family leans towards Solstice anyway, but we keep Xmas alive for the elder generation. It's more a matter of respect for family traditions than religious belief.  

ProfessorZed

Starlock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:54 am
Certainly not! Religious pluralism can be a great thing; Christmas and Yule, while have very similar roots, are still different holidays and both can be honored and celebrated. In my household we've celebrated Christian and Jewish holidays alongside one another; I'm out of the house enough that we haven't added Neopagan sabbats to that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens sometime. :whe:  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:26 am
Awesome! That takes away a lot of guilt! ^ ^Thanks !  

A_Flames_Desire

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:32 am
i celabrate both, its twice the fun xd  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:25 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
i celabrate both, its twice the fun xd

Hey works for me ^ ^'  

A_Flames_Desire

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:05 pm
Of course there's nothing wrong with it. I've celebrated both Yule and Christmas for the last 7 years now. My parents are devout Christians, so I go with them to celebrate Christmas, and with my friends and fiance I celebrate Yule. Twice the presents. wink Hehehe.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:45 pm
Dvoeverie makes that question a lot easier for folks like me. mrgreen  

TeaDidikai

Nashoba Kaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:52 pm
I celebrate a few holidays as to keep all *families* happy. My biological family is christian,and they celebrate christmas. My secondary family celebrates kwanzaa, and my boyfriend and his wife and kids (yes I date a married couple) celebrate yule.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:30 am
I celebrate Christmas through sheer force of habit, I think... My parents and inlaws have been athiests since college, but they've always celebrated Christmas because they grew up with it and wanted to keep the tradition for their kids. I celebrate it with them because of that and also because I could never convince my other relatives to send presents earlier, or my dad to open presents earlier... rolleyes But ya know, it's close enough... xd I make a yule log now, with my great-grandmother's nut roll bread recipe as a base. Nummy! domokun  

Wood Sorrel

Keistera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:01 am
There's nothing wrong with celebrating both! smile I celebrate Christmas with my parents, and do my own thing on my own. For us, Christmas is just a time to be with family and friends, share a divine meal, and celebrate the year.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:15 am
I could never, ever give up Christmas. It's the one time of the year that my whole family gets together and has a HUGE party, and just enjoys eachother's company for hours and hours.

I see Christmas, for me, more as a family holiday than a religious one.  

queertastrophy

Half_Pint

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:52 pm
BlueRoseTorn
I could never, ever give up Christmas. It's the one time of the year that my whole family gets together and has a HUGE party, and just enjoys eachother's company for hours and hours.

Same. I think for most people Christmas has become a holiday but lost the religious overtones.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:17 am
Half_Pint
BlueRoseTorn

Same. I think for most people Christmas has become a holiday but lost the religious overtones.

agreed, sad but true. Makes you wonder though.....  

A_Flames_Desire

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:33 pm
I'm not out of the broom-closet as far as my family is concerned. I celebrate Yule and Christmas. Honestly, even if I was out of the broom-closet, I'd still celebrate both Christmas and Yule. whee  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff