Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jedediah Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:21 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:29 pm
Christians have no authority of The Satan, or his minions. However, the Lord grants us this power when He finds it necessary.

I think the misconception came from when Jesus rebukes demons. He says 'I rebuke you', thus leading some to believe that the phrase 'I rebuke you' is the correct way to go about it. Of course, unless Jesus was in the habit of speaking in the third person, He would not have said "The Lord rebuke you" as He is a facet of the Lord.  

ioioouiouiouio

Mechanism

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:24 pm
Jedediah Smith
She started to rebuking Satan hundreds of times and telling the TV crew to leave her home.I didn�t seen anywhere in the Bible that we Christian have such authority to rebuke Satan.

It's all about ratings.

Anyway, I know nothing on this subject, but I would guess that ordinary Christians can pray for God to rebuke Satan, but not to do it directly, as they're still human.

As a side note, does anybody actually use the word 'rebuke' outside of this context?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:33 pm
Well....Jesus rebuked Satan all the time. But still, Jesus was only human, as perfect as he was, and didn't have any more power than we do. Also, if you don't agree with that, Jesus also said that we would perform bigger miracles even than he did!  

Gods Jester

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:41 pm
We most certanily have the power in God to rebuke Satan. One scripture verse points this out: Mark 16:17.

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;"

Here, Jesus is talking to his disciples about what will happen after the Holy Spirit comes. Right there, it says they would have the power to cast out devils. Devils come from Satan, so if we, in Jesus' name, can cast out devils, we most certanily have authority over Satan.

There is much more on this, but I will cover that later.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
We most certanily have the power in God to rebuke Satan. One scripture verse points this out: Mark 16:17.

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;"

Here, Jesus is talking to his disciples about what will happen after the Holy Spirit comes. Right there, it says they would have the power to cast out devils. Devils come from Satan, so if we, in Jesus' name, can cast out devils, we most certanily have authority over Satan.

There is much more on this, but I will cover that later.

Mark 16:17 states that we have the authority to cast out 'daimonion' (demons) but we dont have any kind of authority over 'Satanas' (Satan). If we have authority over Satan then why does James state that we must 'anthistemi' (resist) Satan?  

Jedediah Smith

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:46 pm
Jedediah Smith
Mark 16:17 states that we have the authority to cast out 'daimonion' (demons) but not 'Satanas' (Satan). If we have authority over Satan then why does James state that we must 'anthistemi' (resist) Satan?

You can only cast demons out of something when it is possesed. The Satan is, for the most part, much to smart to posses things. He prefers to work from behind the scenes, tempting us to fall.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:00 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Jedediah Smith
Mark 16:17 states that we have the authority to cast out 'daimonion' (demons) but we dont have any kind of authority on 'Satanas' (Satan). If we have authority over Satan then why does James state that we must 'anthistemi' (resist) Satan?

You can only cast demons out of something when it is possesed. The Satan is, for the most part, much to smart to posses things. He prefers to work from behind the scenes, tempting us to fall.

Oops, I miss wrote what I was trying to say, now its fixed. sweatdrop  

Jedediah Smith

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:31 am
Jedediah Smith
Mark 16:17 states that we have the authority to cast out 'daimonion' (demons) but we dont have any kind of authority over 'Satanas' (Satan)

First, technical wording is not necessary. We all understand the point.

Second, deamons are Satan's minions, since they are associated with Satan so strongly and would do whatever Satan would do; for a deamon only does what Satan intends for it to do. Satan's the one behind the whole evil plan. Since we have authority to stop deamons, we can stop Satan as well.

Jedediah Smith
If we have authority over Satan then why does James state that we must 'anthistemi' (resist) Satan?

I believe when James wrote that, he was refering more to temptation than an physical act brought about by Satan. If we resist Satan, he will flee from us; but we also have the authority to tell Satan to leave us alone.

Look at it this way: God has authority over Satan and deamons. God would not leave his body of believers powerless. He has given us the authority over Satan just like he has. It is, however, important to remember that we ourselves cannot control deamons or Satan. Only by the power of God within us and "in Jesus' name" can we have authority over Satan and deamons.

Cometh The Inquisitor
You can only cast demons out of something when it is possesed.

Because the only way it would be possessed would be if it had a demon in it.

Cometh The Inquisitor
The Satan is, for the most part, much to smart to posses things. He prefers to work from behind the scenes, tempting us to fall.

Exactly, Satan seems to work more in tempeting us while his deamons carry out his works.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:29 am
Jedediah Smith
I believe this clearly shows that we Christians don?t have the authority to rebuke Satan, but to resist Satan. Please post your arguments and comments.

Christians have the authority to do whatever God wants us to do. Whether or not that involves the 'rebuking' of The Satan is enitrely situational (as, I might add, is the power to cast away demons)  

ioioouiouiouio

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:23 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Whether or not that involves the 'rebuking' of The Satan is enitrely situational (as, I might add, is the power to cast away demons)

The verse I cited in Mark makes it clear we have that authority in Jesus' name. As for "entirely situational"...well, I guess you're only going to need to do such a thing in a particular situation anyway.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:21 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
Cometh The Inquisitor
Whether or not that involves the 'rebuking' of The Satan is enitrely situational (as, I might add, is the power to cast away demons)

The verse I cited in Mark makes it clear we have that authority in Jesus' name. As for "entirely situational"...well, I guess you're only going to need to do such a thing in a particular situation anyway.

But we only have that authority because of something that God grants. God can grant it whenever He wants to. But also, I think it's a little absurd to say that since God can give us authority to cast out demons, then God also gives us authority to rebuke Satan. Even when humans in the NT cast out demons, it was always done in Jesus' name. As in, on behalf of Jesus. If we do something on behalf of Jesus it stands to say that we can't do it unless God wants us to actually do it. Whatever authority we have is not ours, and as long is that is understood, we're good.

Sorry for my weird train of thought, by the way.  

Berezi

Jedediah Smith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:04 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
Jedediah Smith
Mark 16:17 states that we have the authority to cast out 'daimonion' (demons) but we dont have any kind of authority over 'Satanas' (Satan)

First, technical wording is not necessary. We all understand the point.

Second, deamons are Satan's minions, since they are associated with Satan so strongly and would do whatever Satan would do; for a deamon only does what Satan intends for it to do. Satan's the one behind the whole evil plan. Since we have authority to stop deamons, we can stop Satan as well.

That position goes out context of scripture. Got a passage atleast?

hot_wheels_turbo_racing
Jedediah Smith
If we have authority over Satan then why does James state that we must 'anthistemi' (resist) Satan?

I believe when James wrote that, he was refering more to temptation than an physical act brought about by Satan. If we resist Satan, he will flee from us; but we also have the authority to tell Satan to leave us alone.

Look at d it this way: Gohas authority over Satan and deamons. God would not leave his body of believers powerless. He has given us the authority over Satan just like he has. It is, however, important to remember that we ourselves cannot control deamons or Satan. Only by the power of God within us and "in Jesus' name" can we have authority over Satan and deamons.

You could believe James was refering to temptation but you wont be able to support that position in the context of James 4:7 because he didn't state anything about temptation.

God has given us His full armor to stand against evil (Ephesians 6:10-18 ). The most effective weapons we have against the Devil are our faith, wisdom, and knowledge about God and His Word. "Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (James 4:7). Even Christ, when tempted by Satan, did not rebuke him but answered him with Scripture (Matthew 4:1-11). What about Job, when he was being tested, did he ever once rebuked Satan? Job did not. It is clearly shown by scripture that we do not have the authority to rebuke Satan but to resist him.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:07 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing

What I mean was, if God says 'nope, sorry. Your turn to suffer.' then all the 'power of christ compells you's in the world won't do you any good.  

ioioouiouiouio

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:25 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
if God says 'nope, sorry. Your turn to suffer.' then all the 'power of christ compells you's in the world won't do you any good.

True, but since God's said what he's said and given us the authority he's given, and God never changes, then we always have the authority over Satan.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Satan or his devils will flee instantly every time, but we do have to authority over them, and they must submit to the power of God.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff