A guild for fans of the game. 

Tags: National Football League, Football, Pigskin, American, Sports 

Reply The NFL Guild
Julius Peppers should try the Panthers new Defense Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Peppers at least try the Panthers new Defense under Ron Meeks?
  Yes
  No
  Other[Explain in comment]
View Results

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:22 am
Tagged DE Peppers doesn't show for start of Panthers' offseason workouts

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Jon Beason is convinced that Julius Peppers will love the Carolina Panthers' new defense. Having the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end see it for himself is the hard part.

The disgruntled Peppers was a predictable no-show for the start of three weeks of optional offseason workouts Wednesday. It also marked Beason's first practice under new Panthers defensive coordinator Ron Meeks since the middle linebacker's recovery from offseason shoulder surgery.

"I know one thing: Pep is going to have a lot more freedom to let his God-given ability and his talent that he's fine-tuned over the years, to really showcase it," Beason said. "Pep is a freak, a special type of guy."

And a quiet one, too. Peppers hasn't spoken to reporters since January, when he declared that he had "maxed out" in Carolina, wanted to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense and pleaded with the Panthers to let him leave in free agency.

The Panthers weren't swayed by that or threats by agent Carl Carey and placed the franchise tag on their all-time sacks leader. That required giving Peppers a one-year tender worth $16.7 million. In turn, another team could sign Peppers only by giving Carolina two first-round draft picks.

Carey couldn't find a suitor or arrange a trade for less compensation, and with training camp two months away, Peppers' options are dwindling. Yet he still hasn't signed his tender or communicated with the team in months -- an uncomfortable position for the Panthers since Peppers accounted for 64 percent of their sacks last season.

Beason, one of the few players to speak to Peppers this offseason, said his teammate has spent the past month working out in Arizona and will stay there until the start of training camp.

Beason remains confident that Peppers eventually will return to the team that made him the second overall pick in the 2002 draft.

"I hope so. The way it's working out with the trades and all that stuff, it's getting late," Beason said. "So you can assume or hope that he is. He's said that if he is back, he's going to be ready to go."

Peppers would rejoin a Carolina team that will have a new look under Meeks, who had been the Indianapolis Colts' defensive coordinator. Known for depending on speedy, athletic defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis with the Colts, Meeks is giving his Panthers players more freedom than Mike Trgovac -- who left after Carolina's defense imploded late last season, including in a 33-13 playoff loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

"Look at Dwight Freeney and Mathis that were in Indianapolis. They've had very productive careers," Panthers safety Chris Harris said. "Pep has already had a productive career, so I think it will work well."

The Panthers haven't changed their stance that they expect Peppers to return for the start of training camp on Aug. 2. So far, Charles Johnson has stayed ahead of second-round pick Everette Brown and worked with the first team in Peppers' spot at right defensive end, opposite Tyler Brayton.

Johnson and Brayton combined for 10.5 sacks last season. Peppers had a career-high 14.5 sacks in 2008.

Beason said Peppers could even be more productive if he gives the Panthers and Meeks' defense a chance.

"I think it allows the athletes we have on our defense to showcase that," Beason said. "That's going to be huge for us this year, just flying around and making plays."

Notes: The only veteran other than Peppers to be absent Wednesday was WR Muhsin Muhammad. ... The Panthers got half of their RB tandem back. DeAngelo Williams (hamstring) practiced after missing the earlier minicamp. Jonathan Stewart (ankle) remained sidelined. ... Harris, DT Damione Lewis and LB Na'il Diggs practiced after missing minicamp with shoulder injuries. ... The Panthers signed CB Reggie Sullivan of Johnson C. Smith and S Paul Chiara of Syracuse as undrafted free agents.

Info from: ]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810898ca&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:59 am
I chose other. Reason being, he has only two choices if he cannot get traded or the panthers grant his request to leave. Those two choices are..

1. Accept the pay and the tag and play. He will always be good at what he does and will have another chance to showcase his talents and try to get a better pay check next year. Hey, it is an uncapped year so far.

2. Do not sign the Franchise and be placed under it next year. He will have to sit out this season or until he signs it.

like I said, those are his only two choices.  

vegito61283

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 am
Good point. But, everyone has seen what Ron Meeks has done to Freeny, made his Career amazing and made him one of the best and most feared DE in the NFL. Now, if he can do that with Peppers, we will have a top notch Defense because he will also be showing our new DE, Everett Brown, the same thing as Peppers. It will be double the disaster for QBs' in the NFL. But that's only if Peppers quits whining and starts playing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:34 pm
Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00
Good point. But, everyone has seen what Ron Meeks has done to Freeny, made his Career amazing and made him one of the best and most feared DE in the NFL. Now, if he can do that with Peppers, we will have a top notch Defense because he will also be showing our new DE, Everett Brown, the same thing as Peppers. It will be double the disaster for QBs' in the NFL. But that's only if Peppers quits whining and starts playing.

A lot of people do not realize and the is because they dont really tell you is that the defense run up in Indy, was also run in Tampa. Meeks did not install that nor really work overall with it. That was Dungy and his scheme. We will see though what Meeks can do though.  

vegito61283

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:16 am
True. But Indy signed Meeks as Defensive Coordinator for a reason. I just want a better Defense for the Panthers than we have had. The loss of Dan Morgan a few years ago, to me, is when it really started going down little by little.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:32 am
Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00
True. But Indy signed Meeks as Defensive Coordinator for a reason. I just want a better Defense for the Panthers than we have had. The loss of Dan Morgan a few years ago, to me, is when it really started going down little by little.

we should keep this in one thread or another. starting to get a bit tedious going from one thread to another, know what i mean?  

vegito61283

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:30 pm
Lol, yeah.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:52 pm
No! Julius told them not to franchise him, they did anyway, so screw the panthers organization for doing that to julius and i hope the distraction recks their season. Julius should just hold out, dont blame julius, he said dont franchise me and they didnt listen, so they dont deserve a talent like jullius  

Austin Shipp

vegito61283

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:00 pm
Austin Shipp
No! Julius told them not to franchise him, they did anyway, so screw the panthers organization for doing that to julius and i hope the distraction recks their season. Julius should just hold out, dont blame julius, he said dont franchise me and they didnt listen, so they dont deserve a talent like jullius

True, but like in any business, you have to play with the cards you are dealt with. While they do play a game, they are under contract by teams. Then when their contracts are up, those teams are able to franchise them for one season only instead of year after year like they have been able to in the past. So Peppers has to realize that he is playing a game but works in a business world and has to play by those rules. Otherwise we get those people like TO and co.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:31 am
Plus, Peppers needs to quit whining about getting Franchised. It's only for a single Season. We might release him next year. He just needs to accept the Franchise and get on with his life because like I said, he could be traded or released next year.  

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

vegito61283

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:16 am
Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00
Plus, Peppers needs to quit whining about getting Franchised. It's only for a single Season. We might release him next year. He just needs to accept the Franchise and get on with his life because like I said, he could be traded or released next year.

And thanks to where he is labeled for his position, he will be one the highest paid players in the league next year.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:46 am
but one problem players have with the FT, is job security, if julius blows out his knee this year, no one will be as quick to sign him next year or for a lot of money either, i think julius was very professinal when he asked them not to tag him, and for the panthers to do it was very chicken s**t. they could have franchised Gross and signed peppers to a contract if they wanted him so bad, i hope the falcons get him next year so he can play the panthers twice a year and break delhommes leg.  

Austin Shipp

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:48 pm
Dude, Delhomme isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Me and Vegito have said that time and time again. And knowing how Peppers went on strike two years ago and came right back and had a great Season, I think he might do that again. He's been known not to know what he wants, if you understand that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:52 pm
You've gotta love Julius. He's a key part of Carolina. Without him, the team simply isn't the same. Losing him would be like losing Deangelo or Smith. Without him, key parts of the team fall apart. These boys don't just work together like in a business. When Smith decked Lucas (Personally, Lucas deserved it) the team didn't reject him. Instead, they welcomed him back with open arms. In the offseason, they get together and hang often. They play online on the Xbox 360 all the time. They're like a family. I've been lucky enough to be on several teams in my life for different things from sports to marching band. When you're part of a team like this, you get to know these people on a very personal level. They're like another family. The reason Delhomme wasn't kicked years ago is because the boys like him. They work well with him.

I hate that the FT had to be placed on him. But the circumstances required the move. This season, Carolina is in it to win it. With the new DC the defense has a chance at a new life. I think that Carolina will get to the Conference Round, and possibly further. I can't wait for this coming season. This season is likely going to be the best season for at least the next decade. Empires will fall, and some teams will rise to the challenge. Someone, in the end, will take the gold. I doubt it will be who NFL.com will say. Suffice to say that this season will be exciting, and will be remembered and discussed for years to come.  

Argus Plexus

MXS09

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm
Of course he should try the Panthers New Defense!!!!!!!  
The NFL Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff