Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 am
I've been studying Wicca for years and I want to tell my mom, who is Christian. Or should I tell her about it at all? I'm not sure how to tell her, if I do...  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:54 am
Well, find similarities and common ground. You both believe in a higher power- Some wiccans believe that their multiple gods are part of one Divine power, which could be seen as YHWH. The only real difference is how you observe God.  

divineseraph

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 am
divineseraph
Well, find similarities and common ground. You both believe in a higher power- Some wiccans believe that their multiple gods are part of one Divine power, which could be seen as YHWH. The only real difference is how you observe God.
Wiccans believe in the Lord and Lady not so much many many different Gods like the Celts, Romans, Greeks, etc.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 am
Well, if you don't tell her, there is no doubt that she's going to find out about it eventually, unless you quit studying it. She's a mom. =P

As far as your relationship with her goes, it would be better to tell her yourself soon, rather than waiting a long time to tell her, or her finding out on her own. Relationships are based on honesty and openness; the more honest and open you are with your mother, the better your relationship with her will be in the long-term, even if there are some difficult things that come out in the meantime.

How to tell her really depends on what kind of person each of you are and what your relationship is like. But, you really ought to tell her; I'm sure there's a good way to do it. You could tell her in person, or start off by writing a letter if that's easier. Try to express as much a feeling of honesty and love as possible, avoiding making it into an argument at all costs. I assume you expect her to be upset about it, since you're having a hard time telling her. Understand that she would only be upset because she cares about you, there's no other reason than that, so try not to get mad back at her. Tell her calmly how you feel and that you're being honest with her because you love her. I'm sure you can figure out the best way for you to try it. It may be a bit of a bumpy road, but there's no doubt it's better to deal with now than later. Try not to put it off.

When you say you're studying Wicca, does that mean you've been practicing it, or just learning about it? Do you consider yourself to be Wiccan, and/or do you consider yourself to be a Christian? What are your thoughts on each?  

Crimson Raccoon

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 pm
Crimson Raccoon
Well, if you don't tell her, there is no doubt that she's going to find out about it eventually, unless you quit studying it. She's a mom. =P

As far as your relationship with her goes, it would be better to tell her yourself soon, rather than waiting a long time to tell her, or her finding out on her own. Relationships are based on honesty and openness; the more honest and open you are with your mother, the better your relationship with her will be in the long-term, even if there are some difficult things that come out in the meantime.

How to tell her really depends on what kind of person each of you are and what your relationship is like. But, you really ought to tell her; I'm sure there's a good way to do it. You could tell her in person, or start off by writing a letter if that's easier. Try to express as much a feeling of honesty and love as possible, avoiding making it into an argument at all costs. I assume you expect her to be upset about it, since you're having a hard time telling her. Understand that she would only be upset because she cares about you, there's no other reason than that, so try not to get mad back at her. Tell her calmly how you feel and that you're being honest with her because you love her. I'm sure you can figure out the best way for you to try it. It may be a bit of a bumpy road, but there's no doubt it's better to deal with now than later. Try not to put it off.

When you say you're studying Wicca, does that mean you've been practicing it, or just learning about it? Do you consider yourself to be Wicca, and/or do you consider yourself to be a Christian? What are your thoughts on each?
I've kept being an eclectic pagan and a Buddhist from my mum like a lot of things. razz

And when you say studying it typically means you're learning about it not practicing it. And she would be called Wiccan. And typically to be Wiccan you have to be initiated.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:41 pm
-Saint Rai-
I've kept being an eclectic pagan and a Buddhist from my mum like a lot of things. razz

And when you say studying it typically means you're learning about it not practicing it. And she would be called Wiccan. And typically to be Wiccan you have to be initiated.

Thank you, I edited my post so it's correctly "Wiccan" in that usage.

You can always hide things from parents, but if it's something significant (like your religious beliefs) then they will find out eventually, unless you distance yourself from them for the rest of your life. It is better for a relationship if the people in it are honest.  

Crimson Raccoon

promised_child

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:47 am
Beautiful Propaganda
I've been studying Wicca for years and I want to tell my mom, who is Christian. Or should I tell her about it at all? I'm not sure how to tell her, if I do...

tell your mom. then listen to what she says with objectivity, if she happens to have a calm reaction. if not, wait until she calms down then ask her what she thinks. remember your mom is human and not perfect, just like you. why Wicca?have you been initiated yet? I remember mine as not being very pleasant. if you haven't been initiated, and you are practicing, then you are not practicing Wicca, but you are practicing Witchcraft. which is very dangerous, as there is no accountability. there is very little accountability in Wicca, but more than in Witchcraft. just be carefull and never open your mind to any spirit, power, or "god".  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:32 am
Tell her. Yeah, she'll be hurt by it, but she'll know what you're doing. That's all any mom wants to know. What their child is doing and what they are feeling.

Wicca is something horrible to Christians, but you already knew that. Maybe if you tell her you two can talk it out about why you chose that path.

I was studying to be a Wiccan, too. But thankfully, I found the Truth. Wicca wasn't something I could have lived with for the rest of my life. I hope you find peace with whatever it is you are planning to do with it.  

ferret658

Karumei

Clean Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:35 pm
Beautiful Propaganda

Be honest with her. As she is your mother, and as she is a Christian, it is her responsibility to respond to you out of love. She may be sad you have not made the same choice she has, and it may be hard for her to hear, but it is your choice and it is important for your mother to know your decisions -- especially ones as defining as declaring a religion. Plus, keeping it from her will only make you uncomfortable with yourself around her and ultimately damage your relationship. Please tell her.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:31 am
I agree with Karumei

just remember that your faith is your own and no one can tell you if you are right or worng  

lordstar

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:49 pm
Being a good mother I would assume she already knows something is going on anyways.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 pm
Vasilius Konstantinos
Being a good mother I would assume she already knows something is going on anyways.

so for a mother to be a good mother she must know what is going on

so is a mother that does not know everything about her child a bad mother?

I don't think the above was what you were saying although as you can see...it can be taken that way  

lordstar

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 pm
lordstar
Vasilius Konstantinos

I don't think the above was what you were saying although as you can see...it can be taken that way

I should have said "usually" in the beginning. My mistake.

Am I your new target for arguments, angst and semantics, Lordstar?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:15 am
Vasilius Konstantinos
lordstar
Vasilius Konstantinos

I should have said "usually" in the beginning. My mistake.

Am I your new target for arguments, angst and semantics, Lordstar?

No not at all
An interesting fellow to me you are, but a target you are not

although I would rather point out the above myself rather than leave it to someone else to be offended in some way

I do like your correction
lots of ways to go about it
I do wonder why you chose what you chose
but that’s a conversation for another day  

lordstar

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items