Submit

Zora Dee

Aged Raider

2,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:57 pm
I guess I just wanted to know what everyone's opinions were on this subject.
Should Christians ever compromise where they stand just to come off as smart or likable or appealing to the rest of the world?

My family and I were discussing earlier that we were getting sick of some churches because it felt like we were in a "club". A lot of so-called "preachers" and "pastors" always want to play it safe with their messages so that they won't offend people, afraid to wander out of the comfort zone and tell people what they need to hear. The truth often hurts, so we naturally turn away from it.

And just now we switched on the channel to a Spanish Christian program and the woman on the altar is saying the EXACT same thing we had just said, word for word. My jaw dropped (I'm getting chills, Lol).

More and more people, (not just Christians but people in general, regardless of faith or religion), are becoming more complacent and, as much as I hate this term, morally bankrupt. My nation is obsessing over finances and money, and sometimes I feel ashamed and worried that the world over is neglecting important things. Families and relationships, not to mention our relationship with God, apparently means nothing when compared to our own satisfaction. Vanity and wealth, pleasing ourselves and wasting our time by entertaining ourselves has suddenly taken precedence over everything else. And I've fallen into this trap myself before.

I do not mean to take a judgmental stance. We all have problems, we all have flaws and that's okay. But I can't help but worry. I care about others, and lately I feel like God is telling me to do something about it. I'm just curious to know who else is aware.

How many more of us will compromise ourselves and the truth we know?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 pm
I see this a lot too. People want the truth, but they also want what they think is the truth. I dunno, I just think people are too afraid to hurt other's feelings. Wait, I think I'm going off topic. I dunno, I'm delirious right now, lol. eek  

Kazydi

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 am
Without money a nation cannot function. Without money your Churches wouldn't be able to function (sad isn't it). I know we shouldn't be concerned with greed and money but how do we pay for our necessities? We need money. Without it we'll be living on the streets..=.=  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:33 am
there are ways to word things without being offensive, and without compromising ourselves. but we shouldnt be concerned with what the world thinks, we should just be honest.  

promised_child

Zora Dee

Aged Raider

2,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:40 pm
Dark Angel Rai
Without money a nation cannot function. Without money your Churches wouldn't be able to function (sad isn't it). I know we shouldn't be concerned with greed and money but how do we pay for our necessities? We need money. Without it we'll be living on the streets..=.=
I understand, I didn't mean that money is not important, Lol
It's definitely important, sometimes I feel really desperate to help my family with their needs... Maybe I should just marry a rich guy xd

I only meant that a lot of people love it too much, even when they have a lot of it  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:32 pm
Zora Darkblade
Dark Angel Rai
I understand, I didn't mean that money is not important, Lol
It's definitely important, sometimes I feel really desperate to help my family with their needs... Maybe I should just marry a rich guy xd

I only meant that a lot of people love it too much, even when they have a lot of it
Don't marry for money. Oh Gods don't. My cousin did that...not good.

It's only people satisfying their id unfortunately. Human nature.  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 pm
Dark Angel Rai

There you are wrong. Money is not necessary, economy is not necessary. All it is is a system of tracking produce and production, at this point. The gold we used to consider it a trade for is long gone. And since money is a certificate to show that we have worked and thus deserve to take of the labor of others, we can forgo this system at any time we like, should we as a people choose to do so.

However, money has the advantage, for a few, to give them vast economic and political power. The people who obtain such power want you to think that you need the system that keeps them on top, but you do not.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:16 am
divineseraph
Dark Angel Rai

There you are wrong. Money is not necessary, economy is not necessary. All it is is a system of tracking produce and production, at this point. The gold we used to consider it a trade for is long gone. And since money is a certificate to show that we have worked and thus deserve to take of the labor of others, we can forgo this system at any time we like, should we as a people choose to do so.

However, money has the advantage, for a few, to give them vast economic and political power. The people who obtain such power want you to think that you need the system that keeps them on top, but you do not.
Really? How to you expect to get food, clothes, and shelter? By begging? Begging for what? Money? Without money you cannot buy the things you need. Without money you wouldn't be on a computer with fast internet. You wouldn't be wearing the clothes on your back and living in a comfy house.  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:57 am
Dark Angel Rai
divineseraph
Dark Angel Rai

Really? How to you expect to get food, clothes, and shelter? By begging? Begging for what? Money? Without money you cannot buy the things you need. Without money you wouldn't be on a computer with fast internet. You wouldn't be wearing the clothes on your back and living in a comfy house.

You're not listening. We do not need an economic system. I am kind of saddened that you missed my point so poorly. I am not talking about abstaining from money as individuals in this society. I am talking about reworking and destroying what we know as "economy".

I propose a system where labor is rewarded through produce. What is work for? Many people think that it is to obtain money, but for what purpose is the trade of money? Work is done to produce items and objects for the use of society. Currently, we obtain money from work to prove that we have contributed to society and thus deserve our share of the labor of others by trading this money to them. Do you follow on this point?

Now, this monetary system seems acceptable at first, until you realize that it is vital for life- If one has no money in this system, you are correct, they will have no clothing, shelter, food or water. And a lack of money is not an issue of laziness alone, especially as we see in this society with this slumping economy- We hit a patch where we don't know what the value of our money is. Because of this, people spent less, so businesses lost money and fired people, so less people had money to spend, so businesses lost money, et cetera. Because of our use of money, there are people without jobs. Depressions are unique to systems of economy, because while the mines may still be full and the cows still fertile, the value of the dollar determines wether anyone may or will produce of them. Do you follow on this point?

I propose that we remove, as an entire society, this middle man which is causing so much trouble for us. I'm sick to death of hearing "Well, more people would have jobs if the banks would administer loans to X" or "We could cure Y, but we don't have the funds"- We limit ourselves so severely over this idiotic system which serves only to raise a few to the very top. Did you know that 80% of the wealth of America is owned by 10% of the population? That 45% of the wealth worldwide is owned by 2% of the population? All so we can have this middle-man to promote trade? Do you follow on this point?

I propose a system of labor with equal reward for all workers. All produce would be brought to various stores/supermarkets, and all who have worked may take of it freely. As we produce in surplus, we will maintain stability and remove things such as economic control, bribery, prostitution and illegal drug trades.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:36 am
divineseraph
Dark Angel Rai
divineseraph
Dark Angel Rai

You're not listening. We do not need an economic system. I am kind of saddened that you missed my point so poorly. I am not talking about abstaining from money as individuals in this society. I am talking about reworking and destroying what we know as "economy".

I propose a system where labor is rewarded through produce. What is work for? Many people think that it is to obtain money, but for what purpose is the trade of money? Work is done to produce items and objects for the use of society. Currently, we obtain money from work to prove that we have contributed to society and thus deserve our share of the labor of others by trading this money to them. Do you follow on this point?

Now, this monetary system seems acceptable at first, until you realize that it is vital for life- If one has no money in this system, you are correct, they will have no clothing, shelter, food or water. And a lack of money is not an issue of laziness alone, especially as we see in this society with this slumping economy- We hit a patch where we don't know what the value of our money is. Because of this, people spent less, so businesses lost money and fired people, so less people had money to spend, so businesses lost money, et cetera. Because of our use of money, there are people without jobs. Depressions are unique to systems of economy, because while the mines may still be full and the cows still fertile, the value of the dollar determines wether anyone may or will produce of them. Do you follow on this point?

I propose that we remove, as an entire society, this middle man which is causing so much trouble for us. I'm sick to death of hearing "Well, more people would have jobs if the banks would administer loans to X" or "We could cure Y, but we don't have the funds"- We limit ourselves so severely over this idiotic system which serves only to raise a few to the very top. Did you know that 80% of the wealth of America is owned by 10% of the population? That 45% of the wealth worldwide is owned by 2% of the population? All so we can have this middle-man to promote trade? Do you follow on this point?

I propose a system of labor with equal reward for all workers. All produce would be brought to various stores/supermarkets, and all who have worked may take of it freely. As we produce in surplus, we will maintain stability and remove things such as economic control, bribery, prostitution and illegal drug trades.
And you're missing my point entirely. Come back to the present please?  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:38 pm
I am in the present, and I have a solution for the problems of the present. Why must I adhere to your system in my philosophy when yours is failing so badly?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:14 am
divineseraph
I am in the present, and I have a solution for the problems of the present. Why must I adhere to your system in my philosophy when yours is failing so badly?
It's not my philosophy it's called being realistic. -.- Don't assume, kay??  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:22 am
Dark Angel Rai
divineseraph
It's not my philosophy it's called being realistic. -.- Don't assume, kay??

Why must "realism" be confined to accepting terrible truths as the only acceptable means and outcome?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:23 pm
Well..I say NEVER compromise what we believe and whatnot. However...there are people who are overly preachy...like today at this at my family reunion thing...everyone was talking and was like "oh well you see at CHURCH blah blah blah blah and GOD has called me to do blah blah blah btw who is your pastor. . .my pastor is the most amazing thing?!" ...but the conversation would be about something simple like twinkies... I just think it chases people off when you go full blown Christianity on them...when they barely have a clue...I've had more luck going deeper into it later after I've won people over...BUT that's just me...  

melancholyfarts

SUPERSQUIRRELX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:49 pm
Meh, well sometimes people get really carried away by thier emotions and get upset over something they don't agree with.
I think it's really stupid neutral . But nto everyone sees it that way so sometimes pastors and such have to walk a fine line between preaching the cold, hard truth and not turning people away with tough talk.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff