Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Tarot 101 (Week 3 is up!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 pm
Week 1:

Introduction and Lesson Plan.
Welcome to Tarot 101!
My name is Raissa and I've been a reader for 3 years. My hopes for this class is to teach you how to read without referring back to the accompanyment book and to make your reading results more personal as well.
This week's lesson is just an introduction to the class and a list of what you'll need to take part in it.

Supplies needed:
Notebook
Pencil or Pen
Tarot Deck (Waite-Rider or WR inspired because it is easier to help someone with a deck with similar or the same meanings. If you don't know if your deck is WR compatible, please tell me the name of your deck and I'll be happy to tell you if it is.

Each week, we will be covering a different part of the Tarot.
Week 1: Introduction
Week 2: Major Arcana
Week 3: Wands
Week 4: Cups
Week 5: Swords
Week 6: Pentacles
Week 7: Court Cards
Week 8: Wrap up.

At the end of each lesson we will have some discussion questions to help get the mind thinking.

Your homework each week will be writing your impression of each card, connecting card imagery to that meaning, and symbols help back up your feeling.

I am not going to check your work. If you really want to learn to read cards, you'll complete the assignment. My homework is not that hard. It shouldn't take you too long.

I also suggest you look over your notebook fairly often as a review. Also writting by hand is highly suggested as it will help you remember more.

I will have contests that give out 500G per week. They're Tektek contests and will be posted in each lesson.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

To Sign Up, please post below a small intro about yourself and the Tarot deck you own.

Edit by mod:
Old Tarot Class 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:31 pm
Week 2:
~Wands~
Starting the traditional Tarot deck is, the wands. They represent fire (in most decks. Some air, although that's controversial) Wands are sometimes associated with new business opportunities.

Assignment:
Find a quiet place where you won't be interrupted. Center yourself until you feel you can focus.
Take out your cards and separate the wands from the rest of the deck.
Look at each card- what feelings does it give you? What does it show? What do you think the meaning is? What do the symbols tell you? Write it down. Go through each card and don't forget to also write down some way to help you remember.
Write what your intuition-your gut feeling- is telling you. For example, 8 of wands- Flying=travelling.
Now go through your booklet of card meanings. Do they match? Write what you feel needs to be included in your notebook from the definition. Do this for each card.

Discussion Question: What is your favorite card. Why?
What card relates to your life now?
Do you see this class benifitting you?
Did you find that your definition and the book's definition matched to some extent?  

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 pm
Week 3:

Cups (I'm going to do Majors at the end.)

The cups rule emotions and emotional situations that are both good and bad. Often Chalices are the symbol of cups and they range from elaborate to simple. This suit can be the easiest to learn and identify with as we've almost always had situations like this.

Assignment:
Find a quiet place where you won't be interrupted. Center yourself until you feel you can focus.
Take out your cards and separate the wands from the rest of the deck.
Look at each card- what feelings does it give you? What does it show? What do you think the meaning is? What do the symbols tell you? Write it down. Go through each card and don't forget to also write down some way to help you remember.
Write what your intuition-your gut feeling- is telling you. For example, 3 of Cups means celebration with others.
Now go through your booklet of card meanings. Do they match? Write what you feel needs to be included in your notebook from the definition. Do this for each card.

Discussion Question: What is your favorite card. Why?
What card relates to your life now?
Do you see this class benifitting you?
Did you find that your definition and the book's definition matched to some extent?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:34 pm
Week 4:  

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm
Week 5:  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 pm
Week 6:  

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:39 pm
Week 7:  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 pm
Week 8:  

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:44 pm
Alrighty! I'm set up and ready to go!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:53 am
I'm interested in this, do you know where I could get a deck?  

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:03 pm
Not Like It Matters
I'm interested in this, do you know where I could get a deck?

There's many places.
I get 95% of my decks at Barnes & Noble. If you call them, you can have them order one that you want that's not in stock to their store and you can come pick it up.

Any Bookstore (I'd call to make sure they carry them.)

The best deck is one that has Illustrated Pips or cards that have their art depicting the meaning of the card. Ex. 3 of Cups showing a celebration of some kind.

There's EBay but you'll want to make sure the deck is new and unopened.

You can visit your local new age store too.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:36 pm
I'd like to join.
I bought a little deck about 4 years ago.. this one: http://www.learntarot.com/ntdesc.htm
I'm wondering if it's compatible. If not, I'll buy one that is.  

AgentAbhorrence

Shameless Dabbler

4,600 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

x Haruhi in Wonderland x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 pm
Hi.
I'm interested in joining the class as well. I just recently got a deck about a month ago or so.
If it's not compatible I'll try to get one that is as well. biggrin

Deck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:32 am
x Haruhi in Wonderland x
Hi.
I'm interested in joining the class as well. I just recently got a deck about a month ago or so.
If it's not compatible I'll try to get one that is as well. biggrin

Deck

I can't see a picture of the deck. Could you tell me the name?

AgentAbhorrence
I'd like to join.
I bought a little deck about 4 years ago.. this one: http://www.learntarot.com/ntdesc.htm
I'm wondering if it's compatible. If not, I'll buy one that is.

It looks like it should work. Although some of the images appear happy where they should be sullen. For example the 3 of swords often means trouble in relationships- often dealing with distance.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
That's what the card should be similar to. This is the RW deck- the model of most Tarot decks. It's easiest to read because the cards' art shows the meaning of the card. The artwork can be a bit boring (To me at least) But there are tons of beautiful decks that put this artwork into a new prospective with themes like Dragons and Faeries.

I really don't want to trouble someone into getting a new deck. They range from 25$ to 35$ and thats more than many people will happily spend these days. If you are set on getting a new one then I could suggest some nice ones depending on what your preferences on the art are.  

-Pixelated-Cupcake-

AgentAbhorrence

Shameless Dabbler

4,600 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:54 pm
I guess I'll get a new deck if I can.
What are your suggestions if I wanted a good, easy to read deck, with a gothic-ish theme or a nature theme?  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games