Do you agree with my conviction
  yes
  no
  sorta
  im just plain out crazy
View Results

Axel Kilo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:30 pm
So tell me what kind of coviction you have as a believer in Christ and the reasons you have the convition or convictions you have

To start of i will share my major conviction. I think that all the music a Christian listens to should be Christian and if its not Christian then its wrong. No matter what kind music it is wether it be contemporary or alternative or screamo or metal or country (which i dislike) or rap or rock or accepela or any kind or music i feel it should be Christian. My reasoning for this convitction is when i was thirteen and i listened to a band called linkin park and my thoughts were what the lyrics said i was acting rebelious and suicidle (srry for my spelling everyone). my dad had told me that i was having these thoughts because of the music and its lyrics but i didnt believe him and i was rebelious and his words went in one ear and out the other. i claimed to be a Christian but i wasnt living my life accordingly to the Lord and eventually my dad broke my cd's in half and i had to listen to Christian music and it did change my adittude and my thoughts like he said it would and if music can deliver me to Jesus and take me away from Him i would want to be delivered and so thats why i listen to only Christian music.

if you dont know any christian artist that are the kind of music you like then pm and ill try and direct you to some good christian bands  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:00 pm
The influences you keep around you are a huge influence on your life. I've seen it a little bit myself, with the same thing actually... when I was a teenager I used to listen to a lot of Nin and Radiohead, which musically, isn't bad music. But the content of the lyrics... well Radiohead has some songs who's content isn't that bad, but Nin is downright bad.

Sitting at home playing on the 'net and listening to that kind of stuff just helped put and keep me in a bad state of mind for a long time I think. Interestingly enough, the music I listened to changed as my mood did. I started listening to Live a lot, and while not a Christian band, their music is a whole world of difference from Radiohead and Nin.

Now that I am Christian I listen mostly to Christian music and try to be involved with Christian community. The influences you keep around you are important.  

ShideKnight

Vaeltaja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:52 pm
Not all of the music I listen to is Christian, but a lot of it is. I'm a big fan of Christian rock. I feel that I've grown in my relationship with God, and after listening to all that great music, it has inspired me greatly. There is some music that I don't listen to because of the lyrics. Basically I like to ask myself if the song would have a bad influence on me, and if I think it might, I try to avoid it. I certainly don't want the music I listen to to harm my faith. If the music you were listening to was having a bad effect on you, then I think it was a good idea for you to switch and listen to only Christian music. I used to listen to a lot of non-Christian music, and since I've been totally into Christian music, it seems to have influenced me a lot.
My point - the music we listen to can influence us, whether we realize it or not, and if we think that influence may be negative, then we should stop listening to it. But it might not have as much of an effect on some people as it does on others. I think that what we put into our lives is what is going to show in them. That's just how I feel anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 pm
although i do not listen to ALL christian music, the majority of it is. i will only listen to christian metal though. i used to listen to secular metal, like you, it effed me up, and i had to get out of it... so i only listen to christian metal YAY FOR OH SLEEPER AND AS I LAY DYING  

thrashmetaljunkie

Prismatic Butterflies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 pm
lol, well I can't say I agree with the music part, but I respect that. To each their own, and if there are any bad influences involved, than by all means stay away from it.

As for me, my personal conviction is abstinence xp I strongly believe in saving sex for a committed relationship, marriage is a lot more than a "piece of paper", it's a spiritual union, among what sex is, a spiritual union that's not meant to be abused or messed around with. I have some friends who believe that as long as you're in love, it's ok. Though I don't personally agree with that, I respect their opinion and it's preferable to the typical "hooking up" scenerio.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:26 pm
Music? Well an interesting take on the music and i feel something eneds to be said. You said Linkin Park made youf eel in a negative way, or at least, your father made you think it did, and maybe it did. Well, only if you let it affect you and you think the music and lyrics are trying tow arp you. They aren't. Some people are affected in different ways i know but its not a reason to go against any secular music and stick to the Jesus croonings. Me personally, I do not believe in your God and I do not recognize Jesus as mankind's Saviour, but I have to say I doubt He would hateyou or damn you for your music choices. Now if you think those kinds of bands will damage your faith, then your faith was not that strong ot begin with. What does not kill you makes you stronger. An its not as if all secular music is bad. I see gropus like Radiohead and NIne Inch Nails mentioned as bad and well, realize, please that there are other bands out there that have great music and lyrics, that are secular, but lack the somewhat dark tones those gropus do posses. If you listen to secular but those bands or that type of music make syou feel bad or something, then just listen to other groups and genres. Theres a hwole iwde world of music.  

Ricette

melancholyfarts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:16 am
I actually can't get into much Christian music. I like a lot of it...but it seems to be the least type of music I listen to. I do agree that a lot of non Christian music out there is kind of messed up. I had to change a lot of my music because of what it glorified. There are a few artists that have some decent music that really doesn't go against God or anything. A lot of em aren't that good. And about Linkin park...there is actually one song that is pretty good that's not too negative..(unless I just heard it wrong). I kind of ruled out 98%. I just think that taste in music is ok as long as it's not bad or anything. As long as it doesn't lead anyone astray, it think it's ok...but that's just my two cents...I'm kind of struggling with my actual convictions...but I don't wanna talk about it...I pretty much talk about that with my church group...I don't wanna let too many people in on my issues.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 am
With Linkin Park and other non-Christian groups you need to analyze the lyrics instead of looking at it from face value. Looking at it from face value, it seems like they're negative but in reality the songs are talking about real life events that people go through everyday. It's to connect with the younger generation. The real world isn't a happy go lucky place where it's all sugar plums and gum drops. The song Somewhere I Belong by Linkin Park talks about an issue that all teenagers deal with. (It's not a generalization, it's actually true if you think about it), we all feel that we have somewhere we belong, which is why we associate with certain groups whether it's religious or not. We all need somewhere we belong, so we feel better about ourselves. The song Breaking The Habit could talk about breaking an addiction or what my friend interpreted it to mean to her a few years back, was to stop being shy. And the song Numb reflects those whose parents want them to be so perfect and change them where they don't recognize themselves or they want to be themselves and the parents don't want to hear it. Remember, not everyone has a nuclear family like the Brady Bunch. And you may think these songs are negative and not uplifting then you prolly don't have problems with your family, friends, groups, cliques etc. You prolly think your life is perfect and can't go wrong. And the Christian music I've heard on commericals, I hate to say it...but it's way too bland for me. It's not uplifting, it seems that the people have no talent, and they really can't write songs. Because if they did have talent writing songs, then they would have made the references hidden, making it a better song and more interesting to listen to. And yes I'm a music critic.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Prismatic Butterflies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:49 am
I agree with Rai on this one...and I find it interesting that of all the non-Christian music out there, Linkin Park was signaled out as a "red flag", when there are others much, much worse lol. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the group, most of their songs are clean and talk about everyday things relating to a younger group. My whole family is ok with them, including my parents. I could understand if someone mentioned slipknot or something, but linkin park? hmm..they're fine to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:57 am
AIiekat
I agree with Rai on this one...and I find it interesting that of all the non-Christian music out there, Linkin Park was signaled out as a "red flag", when there are others much, much worse lol. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the group, most of their songs are clean and talk about everyday things relating to a younger group. My whole family is ok with them, including my parents. I could understand if someone mentioned slipknot or something, but linkin park? hmm..they're fine to me.
Or mention Rob Zombie. But people only look at the lyrics instead of listening to them and making connections to their own life.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Prismatic Butterflies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:34 pm
Yeah that's very true. I watched a program on TV a long time ago, some news people were making these connections between Linkin Park and the Columbine incident...because the kid listened to them and tried to link the song "In The End" because of the lyrics. A perfect example of just "looking at the lyrics" instead of making a real connections as to what they're REALLY about. And anyway, blaming music for people's actions is kind of lame...the song didn't encourage the kid to go out and kill people. Even if the song added to his feelings of hopelessness, it's up to the person to stop listening to them or not. If it's going to do harm to you, then you as the person has to know what to listen to or not to, it's not really the music's fault, especially when it's so misconstrued as Linkin Park was in this example.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:47 pm
AIiekat
Yeah that's very true. I watched a program on TV a long time ago, some news people were making these connections between Linkin Park and the Columbine incident...because the kid listened to them and tried to link the song "In The End" because of the lyrics. A perfect example of just "looking at the lyrics" instead of making a real connections as to what they're REALLY about. And anyway, blaming music for people's actions is kind of lame...the song didn't encourage the kid to go out and kill people. Even if the song added to his feelings of hopelessness, it's up to the person to stop listening to them or not. If it's going to do harm to you, then you as the person has to know what to listen to or not to, it's not really the music's fault, especially when it's so misconstrued as Linkin Park was in this example.
It's as silly as the people saying that video games cause people to kill others. It makes me face palm and say "ummm I'm a girl gamer and they don't make me want to kill people, in fact it keeps me from strangling the person next to me."  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ShideKnight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:55 pm
Music and culture is very open to interpretation, yes, but when you have negative impact over negative impact, it starts to go bad.

There's nothing wrong with a violent shoot 'em up game, some emo song, or action movie. But when these things exist without a balance, it's bad. That balance needs to be present - parents, friends, community, other media, God, 'right mind' - and if it isn't, then I believe you get incidents like Columbine.

There's nothing wrong with culture that recognizes that life isn't perfect, but people need to have hope at the forefront of their lives. That's just the way it needs to be. When it isn't, things go wrong.

Music is a big deal for me... I personally feel that while a given person could do alright while liking a band like Nine Inch Nails (the music is actually pretty good... the lyrics I take issue with), it's defiantly not the kind of music that will help keep hope and the forefront of your life.

These things shouldn't be outright banned, but I believe there's a specific spot in society for this sort of thing, and it shouldn't be an overwhelming influence, like I believe it is starting to be (has been?) in American culture.

Hope is key. Too much negative influence takes away hope.

Anyways, one last thing. I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but here's a link for a good Christian radio station you can listen to online: Air1  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:36 pm
ShideKnight
Music and culture is very open to interpretation, yes, but when you have negative impact over negative impact, it starts to go bad.

There's nothing wrong with a violent shoot 'em up game, some emo song, or action movie. But when these things exist without a balance, it's bad. That balance needs to be present - parents, friends, community, other media, God, 'right mind' - and if it isn't, then I believe you get incidents like Columbine.

There's nothing wrong with culture that recognizes that life isn't perfect, but people need to have hope at the forefront of their lives. That's just the way it needs to be. When it isn't, things go wrong.

Music is a big deal for me... I personally feel that while a given person could do alright while liking a band like Nine Inch Nails (the music is actually pretty good... the lyrics I take issue with), it's defiantly not the kind of music that will help keep hope and the forefront of your life.

These things shouldn't be outright banned, but I believe there's a specific spot in society for this sort of thing, and it shouldn't be an overwhelming influence, like I believe it is starting to be (has been?) in American culture.

Hope is key. Too much negative influence takes away hope.

Anyways, one last thing. I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but here's a link for a good Christian radio station you can listen to online: Air1
Usually when I listen to negative music or with J-rock, I don't pay attention to the lyrics itself but I listen to the rhythm of it. Take Dir En Grey's Yokan or Cage, both songs have a very upbeat tempo. Cage starts off with a music box-esque toon and then with a fast temp guitar. The lyrics are depressing, talking about mothers (I dun remember exactly) but the rhythm in itself is just beautiful.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:19 pm
Axel Kilo
So tell me what kind of coviction you have as a believer in Christ and the reasons you have the convition or convictions you have

To start of i will share my major conviction. I think that all the music a Christian listens to should be Christian and if its not Christian then its wrong. No matter what kind music it is wether it be contemporary or alternative or screamo or metal or country (which i dislike) or rap or rock or accepela or any kind or music i feel it should be Christian. My reasoning for this convitction is when i was thirteen and i listened to a band called linkin park and my thoughts were what the lyrics said i was acting rebelious and suicidle (srry for my spelling everyone). my dad had told me that i was having these thoughts because of the music and its lyrics but i didnt believe him and i was rebelious and his words went in one ear and out the other. i claimed to be a Christian but i wasnt living my life accordingly to the Lord and eventually my dad broke my cd's in half and i had to listen to Christian music and it did change my adittude and my thoughts like he said it would and if music can deliver me to Jesus and take me away from Him i would want to be delivered and so thats why i listen to only Christian music.

if you dont know any christian artist that are the kind of music you like then pm and ill try and direct you to some good christian bands

Music against the church can be christian, if you believe that the church has lost the true image of christ.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff