~~~~~

GCN

-Sonic, Tails, and Toad - Super Smash Bros.: Melee 0%

~~~~~

DS:

-Waluigi and the 2D Box - Super Mario 64 DS 0%  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 pm
~ Intro ~

Ever since 1972, many people have been drawn in to the world of videogames. Some gamers (not unlike paranormal investigators) though that some games must be more than meets the eye, that something more is to be found even upon completing the game. These quizitive gamers (or perhaps just people that wanted to trick us) have created and questioned many theries on gaming oddities. Only the greatest of which, however, can truley be called the myths of gaming.

The purpous of this guide is to list the famous gaming myths that have been created over the years. Feel free to let me know about popular myths I may have missed, as I'm sure there are many.

~ Myths ~

- Computer -

the Tails Doll

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The first and most unique title to appear on this list is none other than the Tails Doll. Or more specifically, the curse of the Tails Doll. Some of you may know the Tails Doll simply as a cute little plush rendition of Tails that was an unlockable character from the game Sonic R, but to some people he is much more. "Why is this myth unique?" You may wonder. Well the Myth of the Tails Doll doesn't unlock any secret stages, or erase your games's saved data. No, the Tails Doll is much more notorious for grisly murder and the stealing of souls. There have been many accounts of the death of friends or family members that have started appearing on the internet since the myth first made itself know. So many, in fact, that you can find 12 volumes of stories here.

To summon the Tails Doll, you must do one of three things.

-Complete Sonic R 100%

-Tag Super Sonic With the Tails Doll (Gamecube version only)

-Go into a pitch black bathroom and sing/listen to Living in the City or Can you feel the sunshine? ACID mix backwards.

Simply getting 100% on Sonic R will cause the Tails Doll to slowly reveal himself to you with bad luck or creepy occurances, usually leading to death and the stealing of your soul. The second two however usually result in him slowly coming out of the screen or mirror, also to kill you and steal your soul. Some lucky few survive, but are still damned. After unlocking him, anyone who plays as him will also be cursed.
Usually, stories tell of him having no weapon, and that his only motive is killing you or anyone that gets in his way.
In the Gamecube version, it is said that Miyamoto put a seal on the game to prevent the summoning of the Tails Doll. However, by tagging Super Sonic, the Tails Doll absorbs the power of the Chaos Emeralds and is powerful enough to break the seal.

My thoughts:
It amazes me that some people actually believe this nonsense. The internet has made a name for itself making up stuff like this, and will use even cute little characters such as the Tails Doll in an attempt to scare whoever is unfortunate enough to read about it. Even more rediculous is the alleged ways of summoning him. The first, getting 100% on the game, is something I'm sure millions of people worldwide have done and faced no untimely demise. The second is even more insane, and borderline accuses Shigeru Miyamoto of witchcraft, and the third is just a bad Bloody Mary knock-off. Overall, I think this myth is just an outlet for scary stories, and I'll admit, after a few you'll have trouble sleeping at night.

- Gameboy -

the Truck

One of the most widely known and believed myths is none other than getting mew in Pokemon red, blue, or yellow. This myth has many variations, so I will name only the most widely believed. The S.S. Anne is a luxury cruise liner that is found in Vermilion city. When you pass the man who asks for your ticket, you will find yourself in a small area, standing on a narrow dock next to the ship. If you surf at this area and go to the right, you will find a small peice of land with a truck on it. Using strenght on the truck will push it away and a battle will start with Mew. Other renditions of the myth say that you need to slash the tires with cut, and others that you will find a pokeball and automaticly get Mew, or get an item that, if used, will start a battle with Mew.

To even find the truck, you'll notice you need the HM Surf, which is found in the Safari Zone. To enter the safari zone you need the HM cut. That's where the problem lies, you need cut to get surf, and cut is given to you by the captain of the S.S. Anne. As most pokemon veterans know the ship sets sail when you leave, and the ticket man doesn't let you return to the area. So how do you leave the ship without it setting sail? Simple, you let your Pokemon die. After obtaining cut, fight a trainer on the boat and do as poorly as possible. Hopefully he'll defeat all of your Pokemon and you'll blackout. When this happens, you'll find yourself in the Pokemon center with cut in your inventory, yet the S.S. Anne is still at the dock. At this point go get surf from the Safari Zone then return to the dock. Be sure not to enter the boat and instead surf to the right, where you'll find the infamous truck waiting to be moved aside.

Already beat Pokemon? Never fear, you can find a glitch to get you back to that area here.

Want to get Mew? Well the Nintendo events are over, so the only way you can get him now can be found here.

My thoughts:
I tested this just for the sake of this guide, and I can tell you firsthand that this myth is untrue. There's simply no way to move that truck, and slashing it's tires is wasted effort as well. My advice to you would be this: go see the truck, it's a cool piece of gaming history, just go there knowing it's just an oddity, nothing else. No matter how hard you try to move it, no matter what you do, that truck has nothing to do with Mew, or anything else for that matter. This myth probably became popular due to the lack of Mew in-game, and of course the fact that most of the gamers those days were under ten years old.

Instant Master Ball

If you've ever played any Pokemon game, I'm sure you've heard some form of this myth. The myth has many forms, but it always consists of holding a button combination as you select the poke ball, or as it hits the target. It seems the most widely adopted buttons are (a+b+down), but many other combinations have also been popular over the years. Using these would give you a much greater or 100% rate of catching the pokemon.

In reality, buttons don't affect it at all. This is the formula the game uses to determine if you catch a Pokemon or not.

HPmax is the number of hit points the Pokémon has at full health,
HPcurrent is the number of hit points the Pokémon has at the moment,
rate is the catch rate of the Pokémon,
bonusball is the multiplier for the Poké Ball used, and
bonusstatus is the multiplier for any status ailment the Pokémon has (2 for sleep and freeze, 1.5 for paralyze, poison and burn).

My thoughts: Well this is one of the most believed myths of all time, and still influences many players today. I myself, being a Pokemon fan from the beginning, still mash buttons when I throw poke balls. Of course I know it won't help, but it somehow makes me feel like I tried my hardest even if it gets away.

- Nintendo 64 -

L is real

User Image

(Pic ripped from Super Mario 64)

If you haven't heard of this myth, you can't really call yourself a Nintendo fan. This myth is probably the largest myth to even hit the gaming world, and is still believed by some today. It all started with a blurry texture in the courtyard of Peach's castle.
User Image

Luigi is real 2401?

From the blurry, illegible text came the myth. The most popular rendition says that the top text of the plaque is "L is real 2401," and it being a Mario game, the immediate conclusion was that the L stood for "Luigi", Mario's brother. This seemed like evidence that Luigi may be in the game. As for the number, the first theory was that it stood for the number of coins in the game. This combination convinced millions of people that collecting every single coin in the game would unlock Luigi as a playable character. As this myth grew more and more people tried to collect all the coins the game had to offer, but none succeeded. To this day, not even Nintendo Power knows how many coins exist in the game, and although they have released a list, it has been proven wrong many times. The most coins ever collected as a total was 2090 (whereas Nintendo Power stated there was a total of 206 cool and so it seems that 2401 is an impossible goal. And to make matters worse IGN released a $100 bounty on a method of unlocking Luigi in Super Mario 64.

Then in 2005 a video emerged on the internet that indeed showed Luigi running around in Super Mario 64, however the creator of this video is an expert at reverse engineering video games and quickly admitted to it being a hoax. He has made two hacks after that and has finally perfected his Luigi.

You can see his hacks here, here, and here.

As a hilarious twist of fate, this texture actually appeared in another game. None other than the other titan of gaming, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time.
User Image

Umm... Link is real?

Yes, that's right. "L is real" also appeared in the Ocarina of Time, however this went unnoticed for quite a while. It can be found on the top floor of Dodongo's Cavern to the right of the giant head. However Link can read it, it says:

"Giant dead Dodongo...
when it sees red,
a new way to go
will be open."

My thoughts:
Well in my opinion, it really does look like "L is real." However it looks more like 3401 than 2401. But maybe that's just me. It seems at this point you can't give this myth any credibility. First off, the chances of there being 311 overlooked coins in the game is quite low. Secondly, alternate characters in games are notoriously easy to find while hacking, which has been done to this game many times. And third, if Luigi did exist in the game and had anything to do with the statue in the courtyard, Nintendo wouldn't have reused the texture. All in all it was an interesting myth, but in the end it was disproved like most others.

LINK
LINK
LINK

Stop 'N' Swop

LINK
LINK
LINK

Obtaining the Triforce

LINK

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:48 pm
Saving this post for a spell/grammar check when you finish.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:50 pm
HEY FINAL FANTASY WAS CALLED FINAL FANTASY BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE THEIR LAST GAME, RIGHT?

ALSO HOW I GET SONIC IN MELEE  

Allegro

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:52 pm
Allegro
HEY FINAL FANTASY WAS CALLED FINAL FANTASY BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE THEIR LAST GAME, RIGHT?

Oh I remember that one, adding to list. As for final fantasy I really don't think I can write a paragraph with explanatory pictures about that. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 pm
NintendOmega
Allegro

Oh I remember that one, adding to list. As for final fantasy I really don't think I can write a paragraph with explanatory pictures about that. sweatdrop
So add links to credible sources. Most of the wiki pages on thse issues are heavily user moderated, so they'll usually be a useful source.  

Allegro

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 pm
Oh, not nearly as big as the truck, but I remember hearing stories about how to get a Celebi in the second-gen games. Mainly, I heard that getting all 250 pokémon would make Elm give you the GS Ball, which you used to find Celebi.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 pm
NintendOmega
Allegro

Which one? The hit all credits or 20 kills in Cruel Melee??

Also getting Toad in melee! xd  

gutterball29

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm
gutterball29
NintendOmega
Allegro

I believe it was 100 kills in cruel melee.

Edit: I remember toad too, I think I'll trow him in with Sonic and tails.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:11 pm
NintendOmega
gutterball29
NintendOmega
Allegro

Naw, I was thinking of this version~ 2002  

gutterball29

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:22 pm
gutterball29
NintendOmega
gutterball29
NintendOmega
Allegro

Naw, I was thinking of this version~ 2002
I guess you were right sweatdrop
I actually heard it from a friend, so I guess the telephone game effect applies.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:21 am
Poor grammar breaks the whole effect of the Tails Doll.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:28 am
auS-e-Dude
Poor grammar breaks the whole effect of the Tails Doll.
Its more bull s**t than it is scary. It makes sense. People get so obsessed with the game and they hear the curse and they think it happened and yadda yadda yadda.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 am
Double post

What about Saddam Hussein buying all those PS2's for nuclear warfare?  

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:10 am
How about Dusk Silver and Dawn Gold?  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items