Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Amelia Prince

5,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:00 am
I've noticed that in none of the HP books is mentioned what from or how to make Veritaserum. Only thing we know that it's a transparent liquid. So,if anyone has ideas on what are ingredients,and how to make Veritaserum,post it here.

(I'm really sorry if a forum like this already exists, but I haven't noticed it.... redface )

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:47 am
Well, here's what I've been able to find out.

hp lexicon
According to Snape, Veritaserum takes a full moon-cycle to mature when it is being made (OP32). The trustworthiness of this statement may be questioned, since Snape was speaking to Umbridge at the time and may have wished to avoid giving her the potion, but Snape's subtlety is such that even under those circumstances he may have been speaking the truth.

It also says that a student who has achieved a NEWT in Potions should be able to make it.

It's colourless and odorless and exactly like water, though. You're right, that's bizarre.

The only recipe I could possibly think of would be water + vodka + magic, but... probably not.  

Empress_Kat
Crew

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:54 am
Heh, I've never noticed that before. It is strange.
Can't think what the ingredients might be.

Sodium Pentothal perhaps?

Hey, I've just noticed that. Why don't they ever just use normal chemicals? Like, as part of their potions? D'you think they ever experiment with that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:33 am
Okay this is as good as you are going to get it because it is from an offical Harry Potter Spells and Potions web site,

"Veritaserum is a powerful Truth Serum that is most commonly used in interrogation. The potion effectively forces the drinker answer any questions put to them truthfully. Use of the potion is strictly controlled by the Ministry of Magic.[1]

Veritaserum is clear, colourless, and odourless and is almost indistinguishable from water. It can be mixed with any drink, and three drops are a sufficient dose to make the drinker spill out their innermost secrets. It can be resisted through different methods, including Occlumency. According to Severus Snape, the potion must mature for a full lunar phase, and is quite difficult to produce."

No ingredients. You can surmise a guess, by applying other old beliefs. Some plants and animal ingredients have been thought to cause the same effect. Perhaps it's ingredients are plant base more then animal, because animal part tent to change the constancy and color of things to which they are add, if there are any then they'd have to be use in very small quantities and reduced, to get the mix back to a clear and water like. Think like broth. A plant mix would be easier to keep clear and water like. I guess will never know until someone asks JK.  

KatieInTheBox

Galyxies

Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 am
Foolish Catalyst

Hey, I've just noticed that. Why don't they ever just use normal chemicals? Like, as part of their potions? D'you think they ever experiment with that?

Well, chemicals are Science, and Harry Potter is the exact opposite: magic. So probably not. =/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:07 pm
Vyalia
Foolish Catalyst

Well, chemicals are Science, and Harry Potter is the exact opposite: magic. So probably not. =/

In away they are. Some of there spells are hundreds of years old, and different chemicals are found in different things, in varying amounts. Less then fifty years ago, you had to refine chemicals by hand which was VERY dangerous. Heck salt, regular old table salt, is made of the elements Sodium (Na) and Chlorine (Cl). Sodium is high explosive when expose to water, so it must be kept in immersion in kerosene in a sealed glass. Chlorine is toxic when inhaled as a vapor and was used Korea and WW2 as a weapon. So it's just easier to mine salt, then make it. So let's say a spell calls for pure salt, are you going to put in salt or Sodium and Chlorine and pray it doesn't explode on you?

Also, it's not like wizards and witches have sterile tools and areas to work. Most, I would think, make their potions at home or in a kitchen. Keeping the straight chemicals, free of contaminants would be hard when your house has kids, pets, and mythical pests in it. Yet again Sodium phial breaks and your home goes BOOOM!

They may apply that in places like St. Mungos or in The Ministry, but most spells are discovered, when they are in need by common witches and wizards.

As well elements don't bare any enchantments, as stated by Vyalia above. I think the natural magic of a plant or animal is in some ways transferred to the potion when it's made.

So it would just make more since to handle the ingredients of potions as they occur naturally. They are most often less harmful and anything they can do to harm you can be countered more easily, by a witch or wizard.  

KatieInTheBox

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:50 pm
Quote:
Some of there spells are hundreds of years old, and different chemicals are found in different things, in varying amounts. Less then fifty years ago, you had to refine chemicals by hand which was VERY dangerous. Heck salt, regular old table salt, is made of the elements Sodium (Na) and Chlorine (Cl). Sodium is high explosive when expose to water, so it must be kept in immersion in kerosene in a sealed glass. Chlorine is toxic when inhaled as a vapor and was used Korea and WW2 as a weapon. So it's just easier to mine salt, then make it. So let's say a spell calls for pure salt, are you going to put in salt or Sodium and Chlorine and pray it doesn't explode on you?

Also, it's not like wizards and witches have sterile tools and areas to work. Most, I would think, make their potions at home or in a kitchen. Keeping the straight chemicals, free of contaminants would be hard when your house has kids, pets, and mythical pests in it. Yet again Sodium phial breaks and your home goes BOOOM!

They may apply that in places like St. Mungos or in The Ministry, but most spells are discovered, when they are in need by common witches and wizards

Well, obviously I wasn't thinking of them for being used at home. But since all living things are made up of cells and if, like according to that, living things contain some amount of magic, then shouldn't that magic be found in the cells? Which themselves are made from elements, bringing us back to your view that chemistry is all about the periodic table.

Magic could make experimenting safer. I mean, come on. Sodium is used as a raw material in schools. And as we know, not all potions are made my the average wizard in his home, just as we don't make our own medicine or cosmetics.

So, going back to what I was saying before. If elements, when mixed correctly - as in the cell, or whatever - contain magic, wouldn't it sometimes be much more convenient to just use the raw materials. They would be much easier to manipulate. Things that take say, a month to mature, could be sped up by catalysis - and that seems to be a very common occurrence in potions, things taking ages to, well, age or whatever.

Yeah, obviously, if a spell calls for salt, you're going to use salt. That's more convenient anyway.
But say a spell is using... flax. Just something off the top of my head. But the magic they want is contained solely in the cellulose of the cells. Wouldn't it be easier if they could extract the cellulose alone? With a combination of magic and science, it would probably be possible to devise a quasi-simple way of replicating that. Over and over. I mean, cellulose is just Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen, right?

Who says magic and science couldn't work side by side?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:20 pm
I second that. I am pretty speechless. YOu both made amazing points. Plus, seeing as I'm in bio and ya'll are talking about minor bio but mostly chemistry and physics, I have no other opinions. I agree they work hand in hand. Magic in my eyes requires science, which basically potions is. It is the same thing where they work with materials and transform them into something helpful.  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PadfootsPet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:01 pm
Empress_Kat
Well, here's what I've been able to find out.

The only recipe I could possibly think of would be water + vodka + magic, but... probably not.

I almost spit my tea across the room when I read that, especailly since that's what I was thinking!!!
Maybe Veritasurem really is just Vodka... in a far stronger dose. After all, get someone drunk and they will tell their deepest darkest secrets.

And I do believe that science and magic can work side by side. That's where we get Alchemy!!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 pm
Foolish Catalyst
Quote:
Some of there spells are hundreds of years old, and different chemicals are found in different things, in varying amounts. Less then fifty years ago, you had to refine chemicals by hand which was VERY dangerous. Heck salt, regular old table salt, is made of the elements Sodium (Na) and Chlorine (Cl). Sodium is high explosive when expose to water, so it must be kept in immersion in kerosene in a sealed glass. Chlorine is toxic when inhaled as a vapor and was used Korea and WW2 as a weapon. So it's just easier to mine salt, then make it. So let's say a spell calls for pure salt, are you going to put in salt or Sodium and Chlorine and pray it doesn't explode on you?

They may apply that in places like St. Mungos or in The Ministry, but most spells are discovered, when they are in need by common witches and wizards

Well, obviously I wasn't thinking of them for being used at home. But since all living things are made up of cells and if, like according to that, living things contain some amount of magic, then shouldn't that magic be found in the cells? Which themselves are made from elements, bringing us back to your view that chemistry is all about the periodic table.

Magic could make experimenting safer. I mean, come on. Sodium is used as a raw material in schools. And as we know, not all potions are made my the average wizard in his home, just as we don't make our own medicine or cosmetics.

So, going back to what I was saying before. If elements, when mixed correctly - as in the cell, or whatever - contain magic, wouldn't it sometimes be much more convenient to just use the raw materials. They would be much easier to manipulate. Things that take say, a month to mature, could be sped up by catalysis - and that seems to be a very common occurrence in potions, things taking ages to, well, age or whatever.

Yeah, obviously, if a spell calls for salt, you're going to use salt. That's more convenient anyway.
But say a spell is using... flax. Just something off the top of my head. But the magic they want is contained solely in the cellulose of the cells. Wouldn't it be easier if they could extract the cellulose alone? With a combination of magic and science, it would probably be possible to devise a quasi-simple way of replicating that. Over and over. I mean, cellulose is just Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen, right?

Who says magic and science couldn't work side by side?

Very good point. Also I believe it is being used now that I dwell on it. Nicholas Flamel was a Alchemist, alchemy is just the old word for science. He used elements to make the Sorcerer's. We muggles even have the directions but they are spake in rhyme, and use abstract references to elements. Here is a link to the site that gives a version of the directions. There are many versions. All call for elements in their purest forms to combine to create this stone. So yes, they do use elements.

Edit: Sorry the Url thing didn't work, for some reason. xp
Here is the site. http://www.levity.com/alchemy/arsenal_.html

KatieInTheBox

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:58 pm
Wow.
Suze, you said you were speechless.
Well I'm stunned.
I feel kinda bad. Like, an arrogant know-it-all or something.
Sorry. I know I can get a bit fierce when I argue.
I feel like I've forced y'all to agree with me, especially Katie...
*gulp*
Now I'm rambling.
Sorry.

And this has strayed completely from the original question...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:37 pm
Haha. I am laughing at Pads and Foolish's post!
I didn't read Kat's post at first and when I did, I burst out laughing. That makes so much sense. How much do ya'll want to bet that's what it is?
And Foolish, it's good to be that way. My best friend and I are like that and it makes you a better debater.

Oh and to keep my post about HP, I am reading HBP. HA! It's not off the Harry Potter topic. MUHAHAHA!  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:20 pm
Wouldn't you just love to ask Rowling that?
"Say, would the ingredients of Veritaserum by any chance be 'water + vodka + magic?'"
I bet she'd like that ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:12 pm
Foolish Catalyst
Wow.
Suze, you said you were speechless.
Well I'm stunned.
I feel kinda bad. Like, an arrogant know-it-all or something.
Sorry. I know I can get a bit fierce when I argue.
I feel like I've forced y'all to agree with me, especially Katie...
*gulp*
Now I'm rambling.
Sorry.

And this has strayed completely from the original question...

Oh, no I still think that regular wizards would never use elements and chemicals like you suggested but the alchemists, and other professionals may do that. Yet again enchanting the elements and chemicals may not work the same as the real stuff. Some things like spiders silk even we can't reproduce, even though we know it is made out of proteins, we can't get them to behave the same as they would when a spider produces them. I think that in some cases that maybe the same with magical materials. And no you didn't bully me, you just made a good point that I agreed with. It is possible.  

KatieInTheBox

AccioFunds
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40 pm
What a great discussion! I am enjoying it so much that EVERYONE above is getting 5 points....

Amelia Prince for creating a topic that garnered such outrageous and impressive speculation, impressive deduction and lovely discussion!

Empress_Kat for her awesome and inspired recipe (hic!)
Foolish Catalyst for several pithy analyses
KatieInTheBox for hitting the reference tomes
Vyalia for a calm and reasonable deduction!
PadfootsPet for her faith that science and magic CAN work together!
SuzelovesJamesPotter for her honesty and honest appreciation(s)!  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff