Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Witches Stitches : using textiles in the craft Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I-onishi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:34 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

This class is for all of those who want to learn more about using your sewing skills and magic together.

Rules include
1 Be respectful of both me and your classmates , our opinions and beliefs
2 Do not be afraid to ask questions
3 Please Read all of my posts , I will be going over a lot of information and don't want you to miss anything
4 Do not let yourself get physical when frustrated , you will be handling many sharp implements and may hurt yourself
5 Please regard all normal safety measures when working with sharp instruments , be sensible and have band-aids on hand
6 Gaia mail me if you want to ask something that you don't feel comfortable talking about in front of the class
7 use the best spelling and grammar that you can , I am not an english major so you may not be understood using incomplete or abbreviated english
8 all guild and gaia rules still apply

I will be posting a new lesson every 2 weeks to give people time to complete the projects in between. During the two weeks pleas feel free to ask about the projects as much as you need. I am more than happy to help.

All my lecture posts will be in Document. All of my response's will be in Think. If something is unclear please ask me about it. I will be on as much as is possible , but this may not be every single day. I am glad to have with me. Shall we begin ?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:35 pm
In this class you will learn how to your sewing skills with your skills in magic. In this as with all things , it is wise to begin with the beginning. To do that we must first assess , what we will make and what its true purpose is and what it will accomplish for us. Well will go over several projects in this class including but not limited to a basic spell bag ( for those spells you take the ingredients with you in a small sachet (similar to mojo bags), an alter cloth or crystal ball cover , a tarot bag , a ritual robe, and a ritual cloak . That said we will move on to your materials. Once you know your basics and what you will make gathering you materials will be easy (usually).  

I-onishi

I-onishi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 pm
Materials
As many other witches I am under the firm belief that synthetic materials do little in magic , so said I will only be addressing the use of natural fibers in these lessons . However if you find that this is not true for you , then by all means use what you wish.
This section of the lessons will teach you to pick out which material will be best for your goal. I will be giving you a brief description of each of the material sources ( what its actually made from ) , and what fabric (how it is put together to be a piece of cloth , this is usually a name concerning the appearance , common use , or appearance of the cloth).

Silk – this is made from the threads that an insect secretes. Usually this is made from the threads of worms mostly in Asia . The fabrics made of this have impressive qualities for being both very strong , and light weight. This is because the tiny threads the worms make are easily made into things , and as they were designed by nature to stick well to themselves. This is because the thread is the cocoon of the silk “worm”. Vegans may wish to not wear this fabric , because sadly it is made by killing the silk “worm” (actually caterpillar) before it can escape after the transformation cycle. The cocoon is one long thread and there for easily extracted after a good boiling (this is the part were they have to kill the worm) and pulling the single ends to be wound.
This source usually works well with water elemental.

Cotton – this is made from the threads of the cotton plant. The threads come off of the seed pod . They are to help the seed spread and start its growth into a mature plant. This harvesting of cotton has long been seen as a tiring painful task , as the plant grows low to the ground and when the plant opens to release the seed it forms into rather formidable barbs. These fibers are freed of the seed and then spun into threads. Cotton is not as strong as silk , but it is more readily available , cheaper, and usually more fabrics are made from it.
This source usually works best with air elemental.

Bamboo – this more recently used source is of course the bamboo tree. The trees are cut down and the long fibers making the trunk are separated then spun into thread. This fabric is strong and flexible. Also , despite the assumptions of many a very soft fiber. It is also easy to grow and replenishes quickly. As it is still one of the more seldom used materials its still a little expensive , but it is slowly gaining in popularity and in my opinion will be much more available in years to come. It is however usually a thicker fabric , which in some projects is a negative.
This fabric works best with earth elemental.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:40 pm
Linen – made from the flax plant , it is also a lighter material. Linen however dose not have the strength of other fibers. Its good points are its light airy and fresh qualities when worn close to the body , or used in hot weather. It is also a more expensive fiber due to its labor intensive harvest and spinning. It is possibly the oldest fiber used according to record Dating back nearly 10,000 years. The fabrics are usually heavier and stiffer than the previously mentioned.
This fabric usually works best with fire elementals.

Hemp – is made of the Cannabis Sativa plant , more specifically the stem of the plant. (no you cant get high off of this material). However because of the negative stigma carried by the plant this fabric is usually not made or used , and can be very hard to find. Also it is not as flexible as many of the other fibers , and so not often used because of this. It dose not absorb or get damaged as easily by water as other fiber.
This fabric usually works best with fire elementals.

Ramie – from the Boehemeria Nivea plant . This fiber is usually used in blended fabrics because its low resiliency , however it is a very strong fiber and can add that attribute to the blends it is part of. Usually not found alone.
Unsure what element it works best with.

Wool- This is the hair removed from sheep the hairs are then spun into thread. These fibers are known for their ability to keep one warm and keep out cold. Usually found in suits , it dose have a beautiful luster and dyes well. It is also fairly strong and wears very well. However there are many people allergic to this fibers so its popularity is not as strong as others.
This source works best with earth.
(I will not be using anything with this fiber during the class , as it is I am one of the many people with an allergy to it)

Leathers and other hides are not going to be used in this class because the technique to form them into goods ( finished products) is very different for the technique used to make the same of fabrics.  

I-onishi

I-onishi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm
Fabrics
Canvas – a very thick usually cotton fabric it is traditionally used as sails. It is similar denim. Many things we make could be made of this , but it will likely not be your first choice.

Chiffon - very light and thin , this mostly transparent fabric made of tightly twisted threads. Good for evening gowns. We may be using it for scented sachets.

Crepe de chine - raw silk with a heavy crinkled texture in the weave. This can be used for many things as well.

Denim – a thick usually cotton fabric it come mostly in blue , and is mostly used for jeans.

Organdy also known as Organza - very lightweight and sheer fabric typically used in evening dresses. This is similar to chiffon.

Shantung - fabric named for the province of China it comes from, it is traditionally a hand-loomed silk that’s soft and slightly textured, as uneven yarns are used for weaving it. Mostly used in drapes it can be used for a number of other things , bags of all kinds and even robes.

Velvet - closely woven fabric with a short, dense pile which produces a soft, rich texture. Silk velvet is the softest of the velvets. We will be using this in many different fashions as it is also a versatile fabric.

Voile – a semi-sheer fabric made of tightly twisted yarns that are moderately spaced. Can be used in much lighter projects.

Broad cloth – mostly cotton (though sometimes a blend) it’s a simple weave in a variety of colors. This is what we will be using mostly , as it is very versatile and easy to work with and clean.

Velveteen – very much like velvet in its make. It is different in it length of pile (the fibers sticking up ) they are much shorter on velveteen.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:05 pm
First Assignment
After giving a brief introduction of your self and telling me what you expect to learn from this class , go out and find samples of as many of the different sources ( what fabrics are made of ) as you can. Most fabric stores will give you samples (swatches) for free. You will take these into your hands and feel them , note which feels best. Now you will take them gently in your hands (one at a time) and close your eyes. Now imagine a glowing light within yourself , try to place the light in the fabric as it lays in your hands.
Note which glows brightest. Notice other small details of the fabrics and put this in your post.  

I-onishi

5eeker_of_Truth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:09 pm
hello Im 5eeker, and I am interested in making my own homemade magickal items as opposed to buying my own...plus I enjoy doing things that will keep my hand busy.

I beleive I will enjoy this class 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:45 pm
Great , its wonderful to have you. I have trouble keeping my hands still too. If you have any questions go ahead and ask.  

I-onishi

Sky Raven Moon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 pm
Hi, I'm Sky Raven Moon. I'm interested in making my magical items. I bead weave peyote bags and made some of my magical items. I would like to learn more.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 pm
Merry Meet , Sky Raven Moon. I would love to have you. I am glad you have some experience in this kind of craft. I would love to answer any questions and see what you two can come up with on your own.  

I-onishi

SwirlingDark

Lonely Phantom

9,150 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:28 am
Greetings. I am SwirlingDark. I am interested in making my own magical items as I believe they are more personal. I sometimes make jewellery and alter clothes (take up jeans and the like). I greatly welcome the opportunity to learn more.  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games