Submit

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:11 am
So last night I was re-reading the epilogue from DH and then curious as I am, I wanted to know the middle names of Harry's children. I searched google until I found a reliable HP site that happened to include the full names as said by JK Rowling in an interview.

James Sirius Potter
Albus Severus Potter
Lily Luna Potter

As an added bonus:
Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy
Teddy Remus Lupin
Rose Weasley
Hugo Weasley
Victorie Weasley
Dominique Weasley
Louis Weasley
Molly Weasley
Lucy Weasley
Fred Weasley
Roxanne Weasley
Lorcan Scamander
Lysander Scamander

If you know the middle names to any of the children above, or any other HP children, let me know!

When I knew their names (mostly Lily's) I couldn't help but wonder why such odd and repetitive names? I figured JK Rowling thought these names didn't mean much and thought being repetitive worked, being as it was Harry. He'd had many deaths in his life and loved just about each and every person who died and would want to remember them. Why not name his kids after them? True as that may be, I think Harry has more originality. So I decided to see what others thought.

Here's my example:
James Sirius-I actually love this one, even though it's repetitive
Albus Severus-Truthfully, why do so many people hate this name? I think it's a strong name and it flows great.
Lily Luna-Not very fond of this one. Harry and Luna are friends, yes, but I don't think they were such great friends that Harry would deicide to name his one daughter after her. Plus Luna doesn't really flow with Lily.

My choice: Lily Ginevra, Lily Nymphadora or Lily Anna. After his wife, after another protector of his, or Lily Anna because it flows great. Though I'm iffy about Lily Nymphadora too.

Another example:
Teddy Remus Lupin-great name, I love it but...I really LOVE Remus Wulfric Lupin better. Named after Remus himself, and Dumbledore, who we all know Remus respects greatly. Or since Tonks would get a say, maybe Teddy Wulfric Lupin, after her father and Dumbledore.

Feel free to tell others what you think of their ideas too!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:57 am
{{{Okay... A lot of families middles names ARE repetitive. Take for example, my great grandmother, my grandmother, my mother, and myself, all have the SAME middle name. People do that. They're only middle names. Aaaand, by giving a kid, a middle name, isn't naming the kid after them, again, it's only a middle name. And I think he would consider Luna good enough of a friend, afterall, she felt very highly of him.
Just like the people who have say, James Sr., James Jr., James the third, James the fourth. People do it.}}}

Grey Gardens

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

KatieInTheBox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Dude I look at it this way, at least they are named after a person! I am named after my father's favorite horse, who was named for his favorite bug, a Katie-did, or Cicada. The song the males make sounds like katie-did, katie-didn't, repeated endless if you listen long enough to it, it's an old country fable. Trust me it's annoying. Every time these bugs come up, my relatives have to make some joke or another about it. sweatdrop My dad wanted my brother's middle name to be Crack Corn, because my mom wanted to name him Jimmy. I kid you not, I remember this fight, at my house. Needless to say he was named something else.

I rather like the names and I think when Harry and the others saw Luna's room with their paintings on the ceiling with the word friend, that was huge. Harry was the first person and only person besides Neville to give Luna some kind of understanding. Harry could see the Thestral (sp?) and Neville had that plant thing going. I don't think they really knew how much she cared that they were her friends, even if they thought her odd. So I can see him using her name as a middle name.

Yet I also think Ginny would have loved to have had a say in naming them. Really all of the names have something to with Harry. Ginny knew these people but some of them she really wasn't attached to. Honestly what woman would just let it go, with naming like that? I think by the time Lily came along, she would be like 'Okay, enough! Let me name one!'

So for Ginny

For a boy: Gideon/Septimus Fredric/Billus

For a girl: Fabian/Cedrella Black/Luna

Potter

Arrange how you would like.

Gideon Prewett and Septimus Wesley were her grandfathers

Fabian Prewett and Cedrella Wesley(Black) were her grandmothers

Luna, because she was friends with Luna, and Fredric for Fred who died, or Billus the Wesley children's favorite uncle who Bill was named after.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:58 pm
umm I wasn't really complaining, just pointing out that the names are a bit overused. I've already said I know that Harry loved all those who died (his parents, and godfather, his mentors, even his so called enemy) and I respect that he'd name his children after them. I've always wanted to name my first son after my grandfather. Also, my own middle name comes from one of my mom's friends. We do all get our names from somewhere, more likely from a relative then a baby name book.
I realize Lily wouldn't go by the name Luna, unless she wanted to. I just find it odd they'd choose Luna over many other names. I also understand that Harry and Luna were great friends, especially since Luna had a hard time making friends. But comparing their friendship to his freindship with Hermione, there is a difference. Also, a couple of the Weasley's kids have very unique names compared to the Potter's.
I'd like to point out that we all have different opinions. I personally don't like the name or the flow of the name Lily Luna, that's all I'm saying. This was meant to be fun and to see everybody elses opinions, not to bash mine. If you don't want to play, that's fine. I just thought it'd be fun and I think it's a creative game. If you'd like to make your own discussion thread about the names, that's fine, but this is a game not a discussion so I ask kindly you not discuss here.

Also, a name I was kind of hoping Harry would use: Harry Remus Potter/Remus Harry Potter. I don't know, I always thought a Harry Jr. would be cute and Remus seems to flow great with it either way.  

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

KatieInTheBox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:04 pm
Cy Black
umm I wasn't really complaining, mearly pointing out that the names are a bit overused. I've alreadys aid I know that Harry loved all thsoe who died (his parents, and godfather, his mentors, even his so called enemy) and I respect that, I've always wanted to name my son after my grandfather. For the record, my middle name comes from one of my mom's friends. And I realize Lily wouldn't go by the name Luna, unless she wanted to. I just find it odd they'd choose Luna over many other names. I also understand that Harry and Luna were great friends, especially since Luna had a hard time making friends. But comparing their friendship to his freindship with Hermione, there is a difference. Plus, we all have different opinions. I personally don't like the name or the flow of the name, that's all I was saying. This was meant to be fun and to see everybody elses opinions, not to bash mine. If you don't want to play, that's fine. I just thought it'd be fun and I think it's a creative game.

Pardon I wasn't trying to argue. As for using Hermione's name I think that be weird even if it was a middle name. She is the god mother of the Potter's oldest boy, and is a sister in law to Harry and Ginny. I think that being named after an aunt is a little strange but I know it has happened.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:09 pm
KatieInTheBox
Cy Black
umm I wasn't really complaining, mearly pointing out that the names are a bit overused. I've alreadys aid I know that Harry loved all thsoe who died (his parents, and godfather, his mentors, even his so called enemy) and I respect that, I've always wanted to name my son after my grandfather. For the record, my middle name comes from one of my mom's friends. And I realize Lily wouldn't go by the name Luna, unless she wanted to. I just find it odd they'd choose Luna over many other names. I also understand that Harry and Luna were great friends, especially since Luna had a hard time making friends. But comparing their friendship to his freindship with Hermione, there is a difference. Plus, we all have different opinions. I personally don't like the name or the flow of the name, that's all I was saying. This was meant to be fun and to see everybody elses opinions, not to bash mine. If you don't want to play, that's fine. I just thought it'd be fun and I think it's a creative game.

Pardon I wasn't trying to argue. As for using Hermione's name I think that be weird even if it was a middle name. She is the god mother of the Potter's oldest boy, and is a sister in law to Harry and Ginny. I think that being named after an aunt is a little strange but I know it has happened.

Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse anybody of arguing.
I was actually just using their friendship as an example. Her name is very unique, and would defiantly not flow right. I also agree it would be an odd name choice given the fact she's their aunt and godmother.  

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

bamfgirl143

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:03 pm
I like to imagine Scorpius' middle name is Megatron. But, that's just me. =D

Though I think more logically... maybe Abraxas, for Draco's grandfather?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:09 am
bamfgirl143
I like to imagine Scorpius' middle name is Megatron. But, that's just me. =D

Though I think more logically... maybe Abraxas, for Draco's grandfather?

lol Megatron

I like the idea of Abraxes. I never thought of that, I always thought Scorpius Sazalar, but now that I think of it, he's not one to name his son after Sazalar after a Gryffindor saved his life and the world...how many times? lol  

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Grey Gardens

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:52 am
{{{Lol... The fact that I put my post in '{{{}}}' was to stay out of your "game". And when you said "I didn't accuse anyone of arguing" you sort of did by saying we were 'bashing your idea'. Which neither of us weren't, we were stating our thoughts and that your idea isn't the only one around here.
You also put in your poll a choice which says "It would be better as a discussion", well, we're discussing it. And it's a hard game to play, once everyone has answered, it will slowly die out. So it really is more of a discussion then a game to begin with.
So don't go and get all defensive because someone had a different opinion than yours.}}}

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:51 pm
Uh, this isn't a game. It's a discussion. It isn't a bad discussion, but the thread shouldn't be listed as a game.  

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:26 am
Alright, seeing as everybody who has posted so far finds it'd be a better discussion, I will change it to a discussion. I thought it'd be a fun game, but I suppose not.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 pm
I do think it has the potential to be a fun game, if the game had more specific rules outlined. IT does, however make a better discussion than a game.

I do like both of the boys names, but I don't like Lilly Luna's. I see how important Harry was to Luna, and I also see how much of an effect Luna had on Harry. I just don't like the way the name flows. I do wonder if Luna was Ginny's choice in a name, since she did introduce the trio to Luna.

I know that when I have kids, I'm going to be in charge of naming (regardless of what my husband thinks.) I feel terrible that Ginny didn't seem to pick any of the kids names!  

PadfootsPet

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:42 pm
I adore James Sirius' name. With James and Sirius being like brothers, it's cool their names were together. It was weird though that he named his children after his father and father figures (James, Sirius and Dumbledore), but Remus wasn't included. Snape took his spot. Poor Remmy sad . I'm not saying Snape shouldn't of been included (though I never liked him much), just poor Remus wasn't included.
Has anyone ever noticed, by the way, how Ron and Hermione's names start with R and H and so do their children's, Rose and Hugo's? I found that cute when I figured that out.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:23 am
I found their names (Harry and Ginny's kids) to be a little odd... it was almost as if they couldn't think of any other names, so they just named them after a bunch of dead people. neutral Awkward much? Haha.  

bamfgirl143

KatieInTheBox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:05 am
PadfootsPet
I do think it has the potential to be a fun game, if the game had more specific rules outlined. IT does, however make a better discussion than a game.

I do like both of the boys names, but I don't like Lilly Luna's. I see how important Harry was to Luna, and I also see how much of an effect Luna had on Harry. I just don't like the way the name flows. I do wonder if Luna was Ginny's choice in a name, since she did introduce the trio to Luna.

I know that when I have kids, I'm going to be in charge of naming (regardless of what my husband thinks.) I feel terrible that Ginny didn't seem to pick any of the kids names!

I agree. Keep your husband from naming any children! I can so see that going horrible wrong. Heck I can even him seeing whining 'Why not?' (His strange giggle put here.)

And I am glad to see this is a discussion. If you want it to still be a game, you need rules and boundaries of some sorts.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff