Reply Instruments and Vocals
Oboes Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Geograce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:25 am
So this is where oboe/english horn players in the guild will discuss only about oboe/english horn. The other "woodwind" forum (the first one) is discussing all the music and instruments. Here we can discuss oboe/english horn (you get the idea) music, reeds, books, instruments, repair, advice, ensembles, composers and all of that stuff. You just have to follow some rules.

1. Don't post random things and try and type correct. No AIM talk or any of that.
2. Respect others ideas. If there is sort of a scheduled or assembled debate, don't trash talk or be mean.
3. Have fun

O yeah I have to say, I'm not the best at being a forum leader. So there really aren't organized sections to this sticky, just talk about what you want and different discussions will form.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:26 am
reserve  

Geograce

Geograce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:40 am
reserve  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:00 pm
O.K. this is making me mad/sad. There AREN'T ANY OBOE PLAYERS!!!  

Geograce

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:17 pm
I think me and you are it.

So what kind of oboe do you have?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:01 pm
^^ I play oboe! I've only been playing for 2 years though...this one is my 3rd.  

Merriara

5,650 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50

Merriara

5,650 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:22 pm
does anyone know an alternate fingering for D flat on oboe?? it would really help. ^^ and
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:24 pm
Well, for middle D flat

I guess you could use all open fingers as an alternate. Otherwise the regular is to finger D then hold down the D flat key (just above the E flat key on the very bottom where your right pinky is)

If your going really fast I think its ok to use the open D flat but DONT make it a habit of using it commonly. Its pitch isnt as good as the regular fingering. You can also play high D flat with all open fingers too, just hold down the octave key.

If I may ask why is it you're needing an alternate D flat?  

`Kel`
Captain

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:26 pm
By the way HI. Another oboe yay!

So what kind of oboe do you have Merriara?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:49 pm
`Kel`
Well, for middle D flat

I guess you could use all open fingers as an alternate. Otherwise the regular is to finger D then hold down the D flat key (just above the E flat key on the very bottom where your right pinky is)

If your going really fast I think its ok to use the open D flat but DONT make it a habit of using it commonly. Its pitch isnt as good as the regular fingering. You can also play high D flat with all open fingers too, just hold down the octave key.

Yeah just to add on...

Don't make that a habbit and use it only when you have to do a trill of somesort. If you use it regularly you'll sound awful and totally out of tune.  

Geograce

Merriara

5,650 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:17 pm
Geograce
`Kel`
Well, for middle D flat

Yeah just to add on...

Don't make that a habbit and use it only when you have to do a trill of somesort. If you use it regularly you'll sound awful and totally out of tune.

okay, thanks! and it's because I find the D flat rather hard to finger....and it's rather awkward. however, if it sounds bad, I'd much rather use the regular D with the D flat key. and thanks!! I didn't know ^^ and kel, I have a school-owned oboe. it's a selmer...I think it's plastic. but I'm trying to get my parents to get me a better oboe...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:12 pm
I actually still find the regular D flat okward also, but its the best option. My teacher calls me out on it everytime I dont use it right. Open D flat is only for SPECIAL cases in music.

I find the left E flat fingering the most okward. I HATE using it. sweatdrop I have sort of really long double jointed fingers with short thumbs and no cooridation in certian fingers so I find fingerings difficult sometimes. But hey thats where practice comes in.  

`Kel`
Captain

Merriara

5,650 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:40 am
`Kel`
I actually still find the regular D flat okward also, but its the best option. My teacher calls me out on it everytime I dont use it right. Open D flat is only for SPECIAL cases in music.

I find the left E flat fingering the most okward. I HATE using it. sweatdrop I have sort of really long double jointed fingers with short thumbs and no cooridation in certian fingers so I find fingerings difficult sometimes. But hey thats where practice comes in.

E flat using the E flat key is easy...but no one else who looks at my fingering thinks it is....they say it's really awkward. and well...my BD is a trumpet player and has never had an oboist. and my other BD was new and didn't know what the hell she was doing. so, I've basically had to learn all on my own.....and I think I've done a pretty good job of it too!

do you know how to make reeds? I really want to learn.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:19 pm
Hey I was in the same boat in high school. My BD was an old grumpy brass player too. When I asked if I could try the oboe I got this puzzled look like this ?? eek ?? The he said ... Why? After my quck nervous explination as to why I wanted to do such a thing, he handed me an oboe, a fingering chart, told me to go buy a reed, go home and figure it out. So well, I did. I started late too, as was already a junior when I switched to oboe. I was extremely lucky enough to stumble across an oboe teacher about a year after I graduated though switched my major to my first love, music, and have been exceling at oboe since. Im hoping to move into a university soon, im only at a community college right now.

My advice, get ahold of an oboe teacher as soon as possible if you plan to continue on oboe. I would NEVER be playing at the level I am now if it were not for my teacher.

Anyways as far as reeds..... sweatdrop I admit I have never made one that makes noise. stressed Im sadly behind in reed making. BUT in my defence that is next on the list of things my teacher will be teaching me. I do know how to shape reeds and make them conform to play better after I buy them though. I can also tie reeds together very well. (I think my teacher just happens to despise having to make reeds so shes been putting it off. But im starting to bug her more to teach me)

Hopefully by this time next year I will be able to say I can make reeds. sweatdrop  

`Kel`
Captain

Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas