Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Making Sigils Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:44 am
Thank you for your interest in sigil making :3 -- warning this page has lotsa images D:

I would've made this a class, but since it's not that complicated, i just set it up as a guide, but i'll answer any questions and what not ^^

What are Sigils?
They are symbols that hold magic in them. You make the sigils out of words (such as "protect me" as i have in an example) and afterwards you charge them.

Now there are a few different ideas on sigils, as with any magic. Some say that after you make the sigil you have to destroy it. Others say that after you make it you can keep it and put it on things and it'll be fine. Personally i believe you DON'T have to destroy it afterwards.

One common belief in sigil making is that after you forget the meaning, that is when it is at it's best. Now i'd let this happen naturally because if you dwell on it you'll remember it. Not that it wont work if you remember it... it just gets stronger after the meaning is forgotten.

This is a website a friend gave me that opened me to this: http://www.excommunicate.net/basics-in-sigil-creation-or-the-only-magic-guaranteed-to-work

Another thing that involves sigil magic: http://www.excommunicate.net/how-to-create-a-servitor

Now that site it just something i thought would spark some ideas.
And now onto the examples: 83
=========================

NOTE: Just to be safe and to let you know (if you don't):

All of your sigils should be positive in nature. Instead of "i don't want to get sick" or something, make it "i want to remain healthy" or something. Just don't be negative. :3 Not that hard to adjust sentences to be happy, lol. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:45 am
Something else i got from a book (which i'll..post later, i can't get to it right now). said that the most important sigil you can make is your own personal symbol.

I apologize ahead of time for the bad photo quality -_- my computer is dumb so i had to use my camera instead of my scanner. *twitch*

Mine is after my magic name, Flit.
User Image
^ This is how i write 8D it sucks -_- But anyway. This is just to show you what i'ma make it out of.

User Image
^ F. for .....fun?

User Image
^ This is the T part. If you look, the line in the F makes the cross in the T.

User Image
^Making another like, bending it to make the L

User Image
^Finally the last line with a circle on the end, making the I.

This is a good example of how the letters just have to be represented and not really the same as the actual letter. As long as it's represented and that YOU know it's a L, T, or a W ...then it's okay. You can distort letters in many ways! As for what to do with your personal symbol, you can charge it and then use it as your personal mark on stuff you make, drawings, whatever you want! I'm sure you can think of somethin wink

And now on to a real spell:

This is going to be an example of using the "no double letters" method, which i find very effective and fun.

User Image
^Starting with the spell. This can be as short or as long as you want. from "protect" to "I want this spell to protect my room"

User Image
^Crossing out all the extra letters, we have the letters we're going to use in the actual sigil spell.

User Image
^using the C for the base. Love this look, personally.

User Image
^I made the p a part of the C.

User Image
^Gave the T a nice look with a line through the C. Another look i love.

User Image
^Turned this sideways to show how i did this. This is the M, which could alsos be a W, but i know it's an M. heh.

User Image
^an E make out of the M

User Image
^if... you can see it up by the cross of the T....it's the R.

User Image
^And now....it's the O! I think it's awesome right where it is. XD And now the sigil is done! All you need to do after it's done is charge it however you like.

-----

I'll get some more examples on here to show you different ways to fix the letters if you need help. It's kinda hard at first, sometimes. It took me a few tries to get my letters lookin good. Feel free to adjust them how you like.

It's not the way it looks to other people, it's just if YOU think it looks good. But still, please post your sigils! I wanna see what everyone comes up with ^_^  

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:02 pm
I saw that there were some things that people were having trouble with, so let me tell you my thoughts on those topics ^^;

---EXTRAS----

Destroy vs. Not Destroy

Whether or not to destroy your sigil after it's made. - The book i'd read about sigils (i've forgotten it, if i find it again i'll be sure to post it) said that you must destroy it immediately for it to work. I don't believe this, because i know how much work and heart can go into making a sigil. Therefore, it leads us to another side of the argument.

To not destroy. The site i gave stated that when you forget what it does, it takes it's full potency. I figure this is because your subconscious knows what it does, even if your memory doesn't recall it. I personally believe that if YOU know it works and trust in the magic then it will work for you when you want it to, providing the sigil purpose. (say if it's to gain money, it might take a while, naturally. You wont grow a money tree x3 )

===================================

Charging your sigil

There can be many ways to charge a sigil. It's like charging an object. You just need to keep the purpose of the sigil in mind as you pour your energy into it. You can envision a white light forming around the sigil, or from your body to the paper or what it might be drawn on.

You can also keep it in a sacred place to you for a night or so until you feel it's charged. Keeping it in a box, or out somewhere during a full moon would be nice if the sigil concerns something of the sort, or if you're just a night person -- or~ if you worship Luna! It all depends on you and your sigil's purpose.

---------------------------------

Crossing out letters

There's some slight confusion as well on crossing out vowels, and crossing out extra letters. Myself, i keep vowels and cross out double letters. The only reason for crossing out is so it wont be so cluttered. You can leave an extra letter so it will look how you like it, or you could leave all of them! It just depends on what you want.

-------------------

I'll update this section more if i see more confusion. ^^; sorry about previous confusion, and i hope that these answers help you guys! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 pm
Ahah, I just got into sigil making.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Attempt at rat healing. Mine are... a bit simple.  

Funa Spectrum

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:30 am
Ciele Fu
Ahah, I just got into sigil making.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Attempt at rat healing. Mine are... a bit simple.

I like simple ones! I just can't make anything but complicated ones. x3 Maybe one day~ -- But i like this one, it's cute :3!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:40 pm
So I decided to make one... finally. This is embarassing, but here it is. Oh and yes, I did in fact spell 'shield' wrong. Just enlarge it for slightly better quality.

So, first I combined the 'D' and the 'W' to make a simple shield shape. I know it's pathetic, but I chose the phrase 'shield well' just so I could do that. Like I said, pathetic. It seemed like a cool idea at the time.

Next, I just semi-creatively added in the rest of the letters to create this, and made a larger copy in blue because of blue's correspondence with protection. The steps are shown in detail, highlighted in blue.

I don't really need it for anything right now, but it might be useful to have in the future, although it will definitely require some tweaking.

Yes, it sucks, but it was my first, so what do you think?  

Vodka Tampon

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 pm
Venus Minora
So I decided to make one... finally. This is embarassing, but here it is. Oh and yes, I did in fact spell 'shield' wrong. Just enlarge it for slightly better quality.

So, first I combined the 'D' and the 'W' to make a simple shield shape. I know it's pathetic, but I chose the phrase 'shield well' just so I could do that. Like I said, pathetic. It seemed like a cool idea at the time.

Next, I just semi-creatively added in the rest of the letters to create this, and made a larger copy in blue because of blue's correspondence with protection. The steps are shown in detail, highlighted in blue.

I don't really need it for anything right now, but it might be useful to have in the future, although it will definitely require some tweaking.

Yes, it sucks, but it was my first, so what do you think?

Oh wow, how creative! Making a shield sigil look like a shield! x3! See i never took things like that into consideration. So awesome. ^_^ I think it's really neat, especially for your first one! <3  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm
It's great , just work with it until it feels powerfull when you look at it wink  

moonbabyxo

Labores Luna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Teehee, I like both of those. The more creative, the better, I think. As long as it's something you connect with and understand subconsciously.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:22 pm
:O I forgot the 'H'! Oh... wow... I'm a genius.  

Vodka Tampon

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:17 pm
Venus Minora
:O I forgot the 'H'! Oh... wow... I'm a genius.

XD s'ok! I did that a few times ._.'  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:27 pm
Hi! I tried to make a sigil of my nickname, Aine (which, if i am correct, is the name of the Irish Goddess of human love and fertility of animals and agriculture) and when I try to make it...it just doesnt look or feel right....could you help by any chance?  

Aine Asrai

Kyou Nitsune

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 pm
I have a couple of questions. When you're charging the sigil, do you think of the purpose or only the image? And then do you find you always have to forget what the sigil was used for? Or do you find you can still keep a sigil around, know what its purpose is, and still find it works?  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:07 pm
I appologize for being away. Busy busy irl.

But I think my problem is focusing on what its purpose is >>;  

Aine Asrai

Funa Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:08 pm
Kyou Nitsune
I have a couple of questions. When you're charging the sigil, do you think of the purpose or only the image? And then do you find you always have to forget what the sigil was used for? Or do you find you can still keep a sigil around, know what its purpose is, and still find it works?

I figure it needs to be charged along with its purpose. 3nodding

As I've heard, the theory behind forgetting what the image stands for is that as soon as it leaves the mind, the sooner it works in the physical world. Though that doesn't make solid sense to me any more.

(PS the rat died. she put up a good fight, but things have to happen.)  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games