Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Do you know any almost Christians? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dragongirl42391

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:50 pm
Ok, I was just wondering if any of you have ever dealt with any, what I like to call "almost Christians," who are people who go to church and youth group and have gone to church and youth group all their lives, but they don't seem to have any real passion for God, or know God at all. They know about Him but... I know some of these people, and they only come to church to socialize. Sometimes I feel like asking these people about their personal faith, but I don't want to offend them.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:16 am
"Do you know any almost Christians?"

That's a false statement my sister... Christ means savior and "ian" means one of I believe... A follower of Christ would be what Christian means, thus! You can't be an almost Christian. That would also be a statement of Religion, which most Prostents aren't, we have a relationship with our Lord God.

Lol, sorry.. Just a little lesson for you. God Bless you sister.  

dirtdevilgrunt13

missymisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:46 pm
Gah! yes! half the people in my youth group, if not more are like that and I hate it! It's so sad too...I wish I had some way to reach them....  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:42 am
Thankfully, I don't think we have anyone like that in our youth group - but I have met them, yes. It makes me sad - why does no one talk to them?  

Tarantellatears

cellphonetragedy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:37 am
YES,i totally know what you are talking about!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:46 am
yes, sunday christians. almost all of my sunday children worship group is like that. and i dislike it greatly. i hope that one day they would realize what has been given to them, the gift of knowing God and Christ.  

sunshinehearttrob

daviderentxun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:13 pm
I understand what you're saying. My church is a small, and there are at least two guys who are close to me, but just go to church to socialize. It makes me sad too, and I've been thinking recently about preaching them personally. They might ask me why am I preaching Christ to them, but of course, I'll answer that such is my duty.

There are those who will come saying: "Hey, you shouldn't force Jesus down others' throats." And I have the same answer for them: The world is already forcing its religion unto others. Plus, I learned a really interesting verse in my devotions that I used once in a sermon: "You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious" (Ezekiel 2:7).

In other words, there are no valid "don't force religion on them!" arguments here: It is God Himself comanding me to preach the Word, whether they listen or not. And of course: It is right in God's eyes to obey Him rather than the world (Acts 4:19).

3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:38 am
I know many people who are "religious" but not exactly Christian. I know many who have a personal relationship with Christ, but often fail to show Christ to others. If that is what you mean by "almost Christian", I believe there are many, many people who have a long way to go in following God in their own hearts.

I'd go as far as to say we are ALL incomplete in our paths as Christian. Some may be farther along than others, but each and every one of us is on a journey to grow. Yes, you may know people who go through the motions of religion and don't seem to be making a deep connection. Who knows? Maybe you come off that way to others.

All we can do to truly live up to the name Christian is strive to be Christ at all times. We're going to fail. But in the trying, we get closer to God and who He wants us to be. So if you see people acting that way - live by example. Maybe they'll notice, and maybe that will be more effective than directly commenting on their behavior. OR, maybe directly speaking to them about it IS the best way to approach them - pray about it first.

As far as "forcing religion"..... I maintain my heartfelt philosophy of "Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words." Nexius is quite right in saying God does command us to preach the Word, and it is our duty to uphold that. There are different ways of preaching the Word, but in the end, that is what we should be striving to do at all times.  

Ablazed
Captain

dragongirl42391

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:35 pm
First of all, thank you for your sound advice. Secondly, by "almost Christians" (Which I now realize is an extremely poor word choice.) I meant what you said about being religious but not exactly Christian.
Thirdly, I think I totally agree with you in saying that we are all incomplete in our paths as a Christian. I'm know for sure I still have a long walk ahead of me!! Sometimes, I feel as if I come off as religious to others, which is what I desperately DON'T want to come off as, so I guess we don't always know exactly what is in people's hearts. Only God does! What is the most difficult thing, is explaining and distinguishing the difference between having a real relationship with Christ, and just being "religious". That is what we must try to distinguish and discover, then convey in an understandable way.
However, this is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier said, then done.
Ablazed
I know many people who are "religious" but not exactly Christian. I know many who have a personal relationship with Christ, but often fail to show Christ to others. If that is what you mean by "almost Christian", I believe there are many, many people who have a long way to go in following God in their own hearts.

I'd go as far as to say we are ALL incomplete in our paths as Christian. Some may be farther along than others, but each and every one of us is on a journey to grow. Yes, you may know people who go through the motions of religion and don't seem to be making a deep connection. Who knows? Maybe you come off that way to others.

All we can do to truly live up to the name Christian is strive to be Christ at all times. We're going to fail. But in the trying, we get closer to God and who He wants us to be. So if you see people acting that way - live by example. Maybe they'll notice, and maybe that will be more effective than directly commenting on their behavior. OR, maybe directly speaking to them about it IS the best way to approach them - pray about it first.

As far as "forcing religion"..... I maintain my heartfelt philosophy of "Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words." Nexius is quite right in saying God does command us to preach the Word, and it is our duty to uphold that. There are different ways of preaching the Word, but in the end, that is what we should be striving to do at all times.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 pm
I don't know about all you guys, but when I have children someday I'm going to make sure they know that making their own personal decision to follow Jesus and accept Jesus as their master and savior is what being a Christian is all about. NOt just believing things, going to church and being nice. I had to kinda figure this out on my own.
I want the next generation of Christians to help turn around that stereotype of Christians that is currently out there, because the more I think we turn it around and become more Christ-like the more hurting people out there will see Christianity and Christians as Loving and genuine, rather than narrow-minded and hateful.
Ok sorry I'm getting a little off topic. heh heh redface sweatdrop  

dragongirl42391

KK.trin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:49 am
There were a few people like that in our old youth group. One of them, my friend, would openly admit to believing more in earth-based religions than in Christianity. The only reason she would come to youth group was because she had nothing else to do on Sunday evenings. It made me so upset...

But the youth group has since been turned into a Bible study, and she has been coming to those...so there's still hope. :]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:12 pm
Good to hear there's still hope. At least she's coming to youth group and not doing something else.  

dragongirl42391

LadyAlina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:12 pm
I used to be an almost Christian as well, when I was much younger, a kid in fact. I still went to church, but I didn't really believe what was going on, I went only because my parents went. Anyway, I hated Sunday School because I felt that I didn't belong there. That's why I stopped going to Church.

However, when I got into my teens, we moved, and my parents encouraged my brother and I to go to the church down the road, since we had nothing better to do, so we went. It was there that I really experienced God first-hand during a youth camp, and I've re-dedicated my life to God since then.

For those people who know almost-Christians, at least it's a first step for them, that they are coming to church. As long as we keep praying for them, maybe God would break into their hearts and they would be willing to accept him and live on as a Christian. We have to put our faith in God, it's hard, I know, but we have to, because after all, God is all powerful, unlike puny us.

I also know an almost Christian from my school as well. She knows about the Christian beliefs and that Christ saved her from an eternity in hell, but she doesn't go to church. Her parents are non-Christians and they don't encourage her to go. I'm starting to pray for her as well, so that she too will be saved, by the grace of God.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:50 pm
YEAH...theyre all over my school...they listen to the music and go to church n proclaimout love that they Love God...but when it actually comes to showing that you know and trust God...theyre never there...when it comes to school masses...they complain for standing up...little things like "love thy neighbour as I have loved You" is never they with al the impurities...lucky for me my youth group have matured over the years and everyone there in inspired by Gods grace...But wheh there are people like that I know that i have to pray for them or else there is no other way for God to reveal his grace to them.  

eies3

blkDmen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:35 pm
yes. i definetly know ppl like that i have been since i was born then about a year or 2 ago i started being like that and since november i am i believe completley again biggrin  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff