Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kingdom Hearts: Beyond the Door (1st KH RP GGN)

Back to Guilds

Originally known as Kingdom Hearts : First Generation, we pride ourselves in our literate KH roleplays & community. 

Tags: Kingdom Hearts, Roleplay, Literate 

Reply Kingdom Hearts : Beyond the Door Main Forum
[OoC] General Guild Questions, Suggestions, and Discussion Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quiet Daydreamer

Advanced Enabler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:49 am
Psalm Grasshopper
It's rather quiet within the guild in general. What's everyone up to? School and work stuff? Being adults? lol. mrgreen
I am merely pretending to be an adult. You should see me on weekends, I get just as irresponsible as I was when I was in college.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:52 am
Are people chatting in here now? Cuz I'll totally chat in here. Skype is not that great for me, soooo...I WILL TOTALLY COME AND CHAT EVERYONE UP IN THIS THREAD  

Quiet Daydreamer

Advanced Enabler

Hollow Hex

Fashionable Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:40 am
The guild has a skype chat? o:

I'm always on skype o-o  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:20 am
Hollow Hex
The guild has a skype chat? o:

I'm always on skype o-o

IT'S A TRAP.

Personal opinion, but I think Skype is the reason the activity within the guild itself has died. The more people talk and post within the guild itself, the more activity the RPs will see.  

Psalm Grasshopper

18,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200

fractalJester
Captain

Omnipresent Seeker

6,325 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:13 am
I guess I'd be the exception, then...? xD Honestly, if the past year or so is any indication, it's actually when chatter increases that posts increase; activity dies down when chatter dies down... because chatter dies down when people are too busy to even do that.

Of course, that's just my experience in experimenting with trying to jumpstart the chat and, shortly thereafter, finding an increase in activity.

There's no denying that, for a long time there, people were split off into smaller chats instead of the main chat, so the focus became detached from the guild itself and instead on different things--one of the reasons I tried to get the main chat the hub again.

Hex: If you're interested, PM me your Skype name! I'll toss ya into the chat.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:30 pm
I can see activity in roleplays increasing from the Skype chatter increasing, too. But new people aren't part of Skype. So, new people who have joined the guild haven't felt any of the excitement that comes from Skype chatter, 'cause they're not on Skype. Not all guild people new and old will want to be part of the Skype chat, so that contagious excitement from Skype chatter also wouldn't affect them. So it's my theory that if more people posted on the guild itself, thus involving the entire guild, that the excitement will spill over into all aspects of the guild itself and activity in general will go up.

YOU FEEL WHERE I'M COMING FROM, BRA?  

Psalm Grasshopper

18,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:34 pm
Woah. Woah. Woah.

There's a skype chat?! I want in! Pwetty pwease emotion_kirakira ? Pming username right now.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:17 am
Yeah, not gonna lie, I'm kinda with Amy on this one in that I feel like I participate more when I'm not in the skype chat (and there's others not in the skype chat so we can all talk). Back when I first started, skype wasn't a thing, so we would have pretty extensive conversations in threads and do all of our talking on here. But now it's like, people do all of their chatting and plotting in skype and those of us who don't have/use it can't participate. And, I dunno, to me skype chatting and guild chatting are two very different experiences. Skype chatting just became something that ran in the background, and often no one talked, so it became...dunno, routine? Or when people DID talk, if you aren't around then you missed literally thousands of messages and then it's like everyone got to do cool things together and you didn't. I think it can be a good experience for people who have the ability to be in it everyday for hours, but those of us who can't end up feeling left out. And I also think this contributes to me dropping in and out of the rp/guild. The same thing happened when FG started chatting in skype--Rae and Moon and whoever else would start putting all these plots into motion, which is great for them--but those of us who weren't in skype would be like, "Wait, what's going on? I guess we'll just follow along..." and it felt more like being an observer.

But it's like, when everyone mostly stays in the guild, even if conversations and plotting could take longer, I felt more of a communal environment, and there were a lot more ways to have fun in different threads and we could have 5 conversations going on at once and people didn't put up 1000 new messages for me to try and backread and most people could stay on the same page. I don't feel so isolated because I can feasibly read everything and I don't need to be physically present at the same time as everyone else to participate in conversations. I want to feel that closeness with you guys that I once had that I wasn't always able to feel through skype. Maybe a lot of the skype regulars don't notice it as much, but those of us who don't have the time to stay online or can't be online at the same time as everyone else start to feel lonely and left out. We're not bitter, it's just what naturally happens when you can't be share experiences with others. We just kind of shrug our shoulders and go, "Well, that's life." But if there was a way to encourage posting in the guild, it could give more equal footing for us.

But that's just my two cents. I apologize for bringing up the skype thing if it was something you were going to bring up later with the new people. >_< I had just assumed it had been said at some point. I'M SORRYYYYYY  

Quiet Daydreamer

Advanced Enabler

phoenixianCrystallist
Crew

Quotable Noob

8,425 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:51 am
Psalm Grasshopper
YOU FEEL WHERE I'M COMING FROM, BRA?

STOP FEELING UP MY UNDERGARMENTS, MY BREASTS ARE IN THERE D<

As for feeling left out because you're not on Skype, I always try ("try" being the key word, because I'm a horrible failure at everything) to include everyone in on my KA plottages, either via messages in the RP (like if I'm announcing a time-skip or fixing a continuity error) or through PM (like if I have ideas for stories or need some additional back-story info which like three people have yet to respond to and I sent those PMs out over a year ago). But yeah, I can see where y'all're coming from. Especially for the people like Dawn who poof from existence for awhile with no word or explanation and then come back to aaaalllllll of the Skype messages they missed for months. It can be really daunting, especially when we have an unusual surge of activity.

Hell, I'm a chronic Skype log back-reader and there's been times where I've skipped back-reading. We can be a very chattery bunch, and if you can only get on Skype once a week or month or year or whatever, the application just kind of freezes until all twenty thousand or so messages are loaded, and then you miss out on more conversation that's happening right now because Skype froze and it's just a huge mess. Exaggeration of message count may or may not be a thing... >.>

I dunno, though, I've always felt the Skype chats gave a tighter sense of community. I'd always felt like an outsider looking in when the only interaction I had with you lovelies was through Gaia. Once I was included in on the chats (first Yahoo!, now Skype), I felt a lot more like part of the group. Even when I was working stupid shifts and was never on when other people were, I felt a whole lot more included. I guess I'm the opposite of Chika, in that I feel less isolated because of Skype than I did when all the conversations were happening in the main guild? I think Skype is more organic and I get a better feel for the people I'm talking to through IM than I do through posts.

But, I mean, no matter if my communication with someone is through Gaia or through Skype, I'm gonna try not to leave anyone out. I hate the feeling of being left out, I'm not gonna do that to anyone on purpose. That's why I do the KA inclusions I mentioned above, so I don't leave people out. If I need a general opinion on something silly, like "what color should my character's underwear be," then I'll ask the Skype chat, sure, but if it's something that's going to affect all of my babies (and by "my babies" I mean all y'all that participate in KA), then I'm going to communicate with y'all through Gaia.

I guess the biggest obstacle is finding the right balance between the two, for those of us who can Skype? I mean, if anyone feels left out, at least in the matter of KA because that's really the only thing I control in the guild, by all means tell me! That's one of the biggest reasons this up-coming time skip is happening, is because a lot of people started posting, but the people their characters were interacting with poofed, so now they're all being left out and this needs to be fixed!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:01 am
Aaaand of course, Mizu pops in while I'm double-checking my post... time to make sure it's not redundant...

Hey, man, nothin' to apologize for. :3 I do tend to leave it unmentioned for awhile to see if they'll actually stick around, but it's not like there's any harm done.

As for skype/no-skype, it's always been about what's best for each individual. If sticking to the guild works better for you, then go for it! Those of us who stay active will be here (obvs). If using both is what's up your alley, then by all means, we'll be there too. I never meant to imply it was one or the other. Everyone's always been free to use both xD

While I agree with the above--and I do, which is why I've always spent my time in both--I feel it simply needs stating that Skype is the closest some of us will ever get to experiencing an in-person conversation with one another. You say that it can be overwhelming, coming into a 1000-message conversation, or that often no one talked, or that the guild conversations allow closeness--and you're not wrong, but that's just one side.

Skype, though, is a much better, more realistic emulator of the physical world. We can chat instantly, as if we're having a conversation with everyone physically present, as you said, and the voice chats only further strengthen that. If you're not present, you do miss things, but that doesn't mean you can't jump in all the same. For some, that level of socialization, the near-physical, instantaneous action and reaction, is important--even if they can't get on every day, or even if it's limited to once or twice a week.

See Mizu's post above for first-hand account, I suppose? xD

This is where I'd talk about it's weaknesses, but you've pretty much already listed them. Essentially, it can even simply fall down to what personality type you have; extroverted people will probably lean more toward Skype, introverted will probably lean more toward pure-forum. But there might be colors of both that do the complete opposite, or some who do it all, or some who do handstands.

What flavor of communication do you seek out? That's that.

I guess the point of this 'defense' is just to say don't outright discredit it. We could write entire articles on the sociology or psychology or both of each method, but they'd all amount to the same thing: what kind of interaction you want, need, or have time for.

Both pure-forum and Skype have strengths, and they both feel the most comfortable for the people using them. So keep doin' whatever it is that feels best.  

fractalJester
Captain

Omnipresent Seeker

6,325 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Hygienic 200

Psalm Grasshopper

18,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:09 pm
Quiet Daydreamer
Are people chatting in here now? Cuz I'll totally chat in here. Skype is not that great for me, soooo...I WILL TOTALLY COME AND CHAT EVERYONE UP IN THIS THREAD

I will totes chat you up, Chika. Skype is also not great for me. We'll chats here, and have chats, and chats shall occur.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:49 am
Merry Christmas! [well it is here; don't know about there]  

ShadeKyubi

Feral Shapeshifter

12,925 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100

phoenixianCrystallist
Crew

Quotable Noob

8,425 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:55 pm
HAPPY HOLIDAYS LADIES AND GENTS (ha, I still have an hour and five minutes until Christmas is over, I'm on time with it! razz )  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:51 pm
Psalm Grasshopper
Quiet Daydreamer

I will totes chat you up, Chika. Skype is also not great for me. We'll chats here, and have chats, and chats shall occur.
CHATS TO BE HAD EVERYWHERE

Yeah, apologies, I went on vacation for two weeks and didn't even really talk with my parents for new years, let alone go on Gaia.

So, hoooooow was your Christmas/new year's?  

Quiet Daydreamer

Advanced Enabler

Psalm Grasshopper

18,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:52 pm
Quiet Daydreamer
Psalm Grasshopper
Quiet Daydreamer

CHATS TO BE HAD EVERYWHERE

Yeah, apologies, I went on vacation for two weeks and didn't even really talk with my parents for new years, let alone go on Gaia.

So, hoooooow was your Christmas/new year's?

Pfft, no worries. Lots of people were on vacation this holiday season, i-
9+6666***************** My cat sat on my keyboard, and I'm gonna leave it like that.

MY CHRISTMAS WAS GOOD. I had a whole week off work, and I relaxed. Visited family, slept in. I didn't put my tree up at all, lol. I kept planning on doing it, but it just didn't happen.

NEW YEARS WAS ALSO GOOD. I slept in. cat_biggrin Last year, my hubby and I practically died from the flu, so this year balanced it all out.

How was your Christmas/New Years?  
Kingdom Hearts : Beyond the Door Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces